NFL Draft - UDFAs

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Pokes don’t have any drafted. Titus Swen signs as UDFA with Indianapolis Colts.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Valladay signs as UDFA with Texans (guaranteed money).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

CJ Coldon leaves early from Oklahoma and goes undrafted. Signs with Vikings as UDFA.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Azizi Hearn signed with the Raiders as well
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

No news on Eric Abojei (at least none I can find). A few years ago, I would have predicted that either he or Coldon would be the most likely to be drafted and make an NFL roster.

Honestly, what has been potentially proven, is that transferring to a P5 isn't really going to matter in terms of NFL draft stock. If Coldon sticks at Wyoming, he is a sure fire starter with big numbers and I think he gets drafted late. As it stands, he went to OU, was in and out of the starting lineup and is signed as an UDFA.

As to other guys, Valladay was never going to be drafted regardless of whether he stayed, entered last year, or transferred. The guy had a heck of a career and I wouldn't be shocked if he makes an NFL roster. While Titus Swen is the more physically gifted player, I find it unlikely that Swen sticks around very around (I could be wrong).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:25 am No news on Eric Abojei (at least none I can find). A few years ago, I would have predicted that either he or Coldon would be the most likely to be drafted and make an NFL roster.

Honestly, what has been potentially proven, is that transferring to a P5 isn't really going to matter in terms of NFL draft stock. If Coldon sticks at Wyoming, he is a sure fire starter with big numbers and I think he gets drafted late. As it stands, he went to OU, was in and out of the starting lineup and is signed as an UDFA.

As to other guys, Valladay was never going to be drafted regardless of whether he stayed, entered last year, or transferred. The guy had a heck of a career and I wouldn't be shocked if he makes an NFL roster. While Titus Swen is the more physically gifted player, I find it unlikely that Swen sticks around very around (I could be wrong).
I was going to say the same thing. Transferring didn't do a damn thing to help these guys get drafted. Azizi Hearn too
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:04 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 8:25 am No news on Eric Abojei (at least none I can find). A few years ago, I would have predicted that either he or Coldon would be the most likely to be drafted and make an NFL roster.

I was going to say the same thing. Transferring didn't do a damn thing to help these guys get drafted. Azizi Hearn too
Yup...The NFL doesn't miss much talent anymore...there was a day when guys could slip through the cracks at lower levels but that isn't the case anymore.

Guys that transfer nowadays are doing it for college reasons...not pro reasons...if that makes sense.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

One thing that stood during the draft to me was how few players who were not from P5 schools got drafted at all. The first guy from the Mountain West was the QB from Fresno State in the 4th round. My take is that transferring to a P5 school will be what a lot of NFL hopeful players do but that it does not do much for their chances .

I was happy for X getting some guaranteed money. It will be interesting to see what happens with Sven, I do not believe he will make it in the pros, he has the physical talent but lacks the kind of character X seemed to display.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Abojei invited to Dolphins rookie mini camp
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

303cowboy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 1:27 pm

Abojei invited to Dolphins rookie mini camp
Just saw that, thanks!

Not even signed to a deal...offered to come try out at Rookie camp. To put this in perspective, the Dolphins signed 20 undrafted rookies to deals. The ultimate long shot. Prove the NFL world wrong Abojei!

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt- ... 90681.html
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Fun fact: 30% of NFL players are undrafted!

Get signed and it doesn't matter where you drafted. Wishing the WYO players all the best! Cheering for you guys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:15 pm Fun fact: 30% of NFL players are undrafted!

Get signed and it doesn't matter where you drafted. Wishing the WYO players all the best! Cheering for you guys.
Undrafted is better than the 7th round most of the time. Get to choose your team and situation.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:18 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:15 pm Fun fact: 30% of NFL players are undrafted!

Undrafted is better than the 7th round most of the time. Get to choose your team and situation.
I couldn't find a good number but I'll bet there are more udfa on rosters than 6/7 round guys. Some of that is obviously more udfas are signed, but I'll bet overall percentages are similar.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:28 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 2:18 pm

I couldn't find a good number but I'll bet there are more udfa on rosters than 6/7 round guys. Some of that is obviously more udfas are signed, but I'll bet overall percentages are similar.
Not exactly accurate. According to this study, 85% of 6th/7th rounders make rosters while only 37% of UDFA make rosters. However, because of the way contracts are set up, UDFAs who make rosters typically make more money than 6th/7th round picks and teams cannot control UDFA players as long.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat- ... ree-agents

From a team's perspective, finding a good player late in the draft sets up a team well (Brock Purdy's contract is glorious for the 49ers). From a player's perspective and if they are an NFL caliber player, they are better off going undrafted than being taken in 6th or 7th.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Titus Swen apparently already wore out his welcome in Indy. Cut.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:57 pm Titus Swen apparently already wore out his welcome in Indy. Cut.
Dang
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:57 pm Titus Swen apparently already wore out his welcome in Indy. Cut.
Dang
I predicted he wouldn't last long (mostly because of some apparent maturity issues). But getting cut within a week after being paid a small amount of guaranteed money and after a mere 2 days of rookie minicamp is quite shocking.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:25 am

Dang
I predicted he wouldn't last long (mostly because of some apparent maturity issues). But getting cut within a week after being paid a small amount of guaranteed money and after a mere 2 days of rookie minicamp is quite shocking.
That's basically what happened to Brett Smith at Tampa Bay, right? Cut after the first mini-camp?
ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 10:26 am

That's basically what happened to Brett Smith at Tampa Bay, right? Cut after the first mini-camp?
I believe Brett Smith at least made it to full team OTAs and then was cut during OTAs.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Dang
I would bet there is a back story involving conduct rather than playing ability.