Football Transfer Season, Part 2

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wypoke
Buckaroo

University of Colorado has : Coach Prime Time
University of Wyoming has: Coach Waste Of Time
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

303cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:34 pm
doreno5 wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:29 pm

CU has a lot of positives to use in recruiting. With Sanders they are a legitimate top 10 attention getting program- good or bad. Boulder is a fantastic place to hang out in if you are a college student. Denver and its airport are
less than 30 minutes away. The alums are pretty well heeled and willing to spend money. The PAC 12 is winnable every year The school is well respected academically if the recruit is a true student athlete.

I would not sell their chances of being successful short. But I do think Sanders will leave for the SEC or perhaps Florida State or Miami given the opportunity.
Tough look here

Athletes have name image and likeness, Colleges have the “athletes”…….film.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

. Ok that was a dumb post on my part.

To the topic, sounds like many were pushed out.
Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 1:18 pm
Poke in New England wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 9:49 am I won't be upset to see all of this blow up in Prime's face.
They're going to suck next year, but Prime Time should get one year to suck before people start calling for his head. I bet he gets it turned around in year 2
I have money on this. I wish i had said buffs < 6 wins this next year but i bet <5. There are a few games in there to win but it'll mostly depend on how tough the arizona schools are. then in season 2, i picked buffs <8 wins i believe.

I just don't think you can waltz in yelling "prime time" and magically make a good team. Sure, they'll get some really good recruits, but so does a lot of other big name schools and they never do anything. Coaching the game matters.
W-Y, Until I Die!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

ImageImageImageImage
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

MrTitleist wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:38 am
Wonder if Solomon Byrd had a hand in this.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming does not appear to be targeting outgoing CU players

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/schools-of ... 35765.html
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:25 pm Wyoming does not appear to be targeting outgoing CU players

Stupid move if not. Transitioning from cold and windy as hell Boulder, to similar in Laramie would be a no-brainer.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:31 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:25 pm Wyoming does not appear to be targeting outgoing CU players

Stupid move if not. Transitioning from cold and windy as hell Boulder, to similar in Laramie would be a no-brainer.
As to some of these players, when the best offers are lower division Utah Tech and Colorado State-Pueblo, we are probably better off developing and sticking with the players we have. But I would figure at least a couple would fit in.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:31 pm

As to some of these players, when the best offers are lower division Utah Tech and Colorado State-Pueblo, we are probably better off developing and sticking with the players we have. But I would figure at least a couple would fit in.
After the first transfer though - it locks them in a bit more to actually honoring their commitment, as they lose a year if transferring a second time, correct? If that is really the case, I would think ol 'Bohly would heavily participate in the portal, and develop and grow from there.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:35 pm

After the first transfer though - it locks them in a bit more to actually honoring their commitment, as they lose a year if transferring a second time, correct? If that is really the case, I would think ol 'Bohly would heavily participate in the portal, and develop and grow from there.
It’s supposed to. However, the ncaa seems to be granting waivers like candy right now. There are 4 players at CU who transferred in in January and who are already on their way out. Perhaps these players are claiming that their scholarship wasn’t renewed which is grounds for a waiver.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:39 pm

It’s supposed to. However, the ncaa seems to be granting waivers like candy right now. There are 4 players at CU who transferred in in January and who are already on their way out. Perhaps these players are claiming that their scholarship wasn’t renewed which is grounds for a waiver.
Guys in the portal that that are not going P5 are going to have a low ceiling....the evaluations of players get way more accurate once you get a year or more out of HS. So, yes, Bohl could fill the roster with sub-average potential transfer players and since they can't transfer without losing eligibility we get to keep...the sub-average players...yaaaaaay.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:43 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 3:51 pm
Guys in the portal that that are not going P5 are going to have a low ceiling....the evaluations of players get way more accurate once you get a year or more out of HS. So, yes, Bohl could fill the roster with sub-average potential transfer players and since they can't transfer without losing eligibility we get to keep...the sub-average players...yaaaaaay.
LOL...well, is it better to develop an 18 year old "diamond in the rough" (as everyone here loves to reference) and see them walk out on WYO after a few years, or develop a 20 year old with some D1 experience and keep them for a few years? After all, you know, WYO is a developmental program for P5 schools.
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 4:53 pm

LOL...well, is it better to develop an 18 year old "diamond in the rough" (as everyone here loves to reference) and see them walk out on WYO after a few years, or develop a 20 year old with some D1 experience and keep them for a few years? After all, you know, WYO is a developmental program for P5 schools.
I'm also in the camp of let's develop transfers so we can retain the upside. Finding and spending 3 years for the Pregnon's of the world is a waste of time and money for 1 year of play at Wyoming.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

That is the million dollar question....the future of college football for non-P5 schools depends on that answer.

Generally Wyoming recruited HS players from a group of kids that were not considered good enough to go to "big time" schools. Since it's hard to predict how good a football player will be if they are 16 or 17 while they are being evaluated, a decent amount of guys that were supposed to be good were just average or worse and a decent amount of low graded guys developed into players that would be on the two-deep at any program in the country. Now, as you point out, the players that turn out to be good are leaving the program for the transfer portal. No mystery there.

What about the players that can't find a home in the P5?...is the hit rate going to be better than it was for Wyoming recruiting HS players in the past? I'm not talking about all-Americans....just all-MWC type players. My hypothesis is that the hit rate for all-MWC level players from the portal will be far less likely than the HS guys from the past. It's a little dependent on the overall talent level of the MWC I suppose, so if that goes down year over year than I guess, relative to our conference we might do fine.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 5:07 pm

I'm also in the camp of let's develop transfers so we can retain the upside. Finding and spending 3 years for the Pregnon's of the world is a waste of time and money for 1 year of play at Wyoming.
It all depends on how much "upside" a transfer player that can't find a P5 home actually has....I'm not saying that it's better to lose your best guys...I just can't see a path to championships with guys that can't make the cut at the P5 level. The good Wyoming teams had that level of player all over both sides of the ball. As I see it, that level of player will not finish their college career at Wyoming. They will be at Wyoming while they develop and then leave....and the incoming transfer players will not have as high of a ceiling. Imagine the last 20 or so years of Wyoming football without our all conference guys. Not that we lit the world on fire but it would have been a train wreck.

I legitimately don't see it going well in the current state of things. I may be completely out to lunch on this and my increasing pessimism as it relates to Wyoming sports has colored my vision I suppose.
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

Former Iowa QB (never played).
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

303cowboy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:15 pm

4 star recruit out of high school. I hope he can push Peasley, and if he’s better - then he should be the starter.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:52 pm

4 star recruit out of high school. I hope he can push Peasley, and if he’s better - then he should be the starter.
This isn't really how Coach Bohl rolls....
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:52 pm

The only thing this proves is that the QB's who are on the roster now are not good enough.