Football Transfer Season, Part 2

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Hope he can learn our immensely complex playbook
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 4:19 pm Hope he can learn our immensely complex playbook
He's coming from Iowa. He should be used to an extremely boring predictable offense.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 3:35 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 2:52 pm

4 star recruit out of high school. I hope he can push Peasley, and if he’s better - then he should be the starter.
The only thing this proves is that the QB's who are on the roster now are not good enough.
I think we probably already knew this. You’re wrong though. Bohl was quoted that they’d be looking for another QB since we’re down a few bodies. He was adding someone after the transfers. I doubt he was picked up to challenge for starting gig, but man that’d be nice to see the new guy come in and win it. We’d be really cooking then.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 8:46 pm

The only thing this proves is that the QB's who are on the roster now are not good enough.
I think we probably already knew this. You’re wrong though. Bohl was quoted that they’d be looking for another QB since we’re down a few bodies. He was adding someone after the transfers. I doubt he was picked up to challenge for starting gig, but man that’d be nice to see the new guy come in and win it. We’d be really cooking then.
Iowa had a pretty sub par passing game last year and this guy transferred out because he was buried on the depth chart, not getting my hopes up, but I guess there is always a chance he is a stud.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 9:30 pm

Iowa had a pretty sub par passing game last year and this guy transferred out because he was buried on the depth chart, not getting my hopes up, but I guess there is always a chance he is a stud.
McNamara with 2 years left
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

I think this pickup is different. Maybe Bohl knows Peas isn't the answer.

#13 pro-style qb out of high school. Is he the only qb on roster that had more than 1 fbs offer out of high school?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Udubalum07
Buckaroo
Been liked: 3 times

I really like the signing. Top 300 recruit out of high school, has 4 years of eligibility, and seems to be able to hand some ability as well.

I don't know of he will get much of a chance to compete for the job against Peas, but I'm encouraged on the future. If they all stay, having a competition between him, Svaboda, and anderson.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Having visited with folks that know Iowa and its roster well, I think a tap of the brakes is warranted. I think the kid has potential, but there is a reason that he wasn't close to sniffing the upper tier of the Iowa depth chart. I hope he finds Laramie and Cowboy football to his liking - and excels - but I am skeptical. Then again, being able to hand the ball off and throw for 100 yards or less are the only standards for our offense, so excellence measured against that bar can't be that hard to achieve.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Last 5 games passing:
18-30 186 yds 1 td 1 int
12-29 104 yds 0 td 2 int
9-15 94 yds 1 td 1 int
7-15 76 yds 0 td 2 int
13-26 199 yds 0 td 0 int

Nobody in the QB is safe. I think even Bohl knows the above is a HUGE issue. You literally can't get much worse than that no matter who you put under center.

I like May's chances to push if he has the goods.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:19 am

Having visited with folks that know Iowa and its roster well, I think a tap of the brakes is warranted. I think the kid has potential, but there is a reason that he wasn't close to sniffing the upper tier of the Iowa depth chart. I hope he finds Laramie and Cowboy football to his liking - and excels - but I am skeptical. Then again, being able to hand the ball off and throw for 100 yards or less are the only standards for our offense, so excellence measured against that bar can't be that hard to achieve.
He transferred as soon as McNamara (proven B1G QB) transferred in. May was a true freshman at a B1G school; it isn't that surprising he didn't see the field or even listed as QB2, QB3, or....

Unless those Iowa fans watch every practice, they couldn't know $ h i t about how he performed. Kid has talent and generated quite a bit of interest out of high school.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am

He transferred as soon as McNamara (proven B1G QB) transferred in. May was a true freshman at a B1G school; it isn't that surprising he didn't see the field or even listed as QB2, QB3, or....

Unless those Iowa fans watch every practice, they couldn't know $ h i t about how he performed. Kid has talent and generated quite a bit of interest out of high school.
The kid couldn't move up the depth chart and beat our Spencer Petras - or the guys that couldn't even compete with Petras. Petras was hot garbage. I hope he has talent - it would be a welcome change. I have doubts. My Iowa source is pretty plugged in. We will see soon enough.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 am

It’s a good point about McNamara and the fact that he was a freshman. I still am not getting too excited. I’m a long time Iowa fan and they are the Wyoming of the big 10. Their passing game this year was about as bad as ours especially. It should also be noted he did not have much FBS interest outside of Wyoming. Former 4 star recruits do not go under the radar. I still wish him the best and hope he can produce here, just keeping expectations realistic.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

303cowboy wrote: Thu May 04, 2023 12:15 pm

Former Iowa QB (never played).
I'm very torn about this....on one hand seeing four stars is exciting, but knowing he couldn't get on the field for an offense that was as bad or worse (if that's possible) than Wyoming's gives me pause.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Iowa had 2 or 3 guys that saw playing time in the 2021 season; it was announced that it was going to be a 3 way battle for starter going into the 2022 season. Expecting a true Freshman to step in and make waves in that scenario is a pretty tall order. Then, they bring in McNamara for 2023 who has 2 years of eligibility and it's obvious he was shooting for backup at best with Labas holding the edge. McNamara obvious starter, Labas (another 3-4 star recruit) holding the edge for #2 not to mention another pretty good freshman coming in. It's entirely possible that Iowa has 3-4 qbs better than any qb in our room.

Not saying he is going to be a world beater or guaranteed starter, but is he the highest rated QB out of high school that we've had in 10 years? I honestly don't remember.

All I'm saying, is I think people are overanalyzing the importance that he didn't climb the depth charts at Iowa. We're currently running with the backup QB from usu who wasn't recruited by anyone other than usu, so there's that.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I'm tempering my expectations but I wouldn't expect a true freshmen to come in and push for playing time at a big 10 school. Best case scenario is that he was buried and it would be at least 2 years before he could even reasonably compete for playing time and it was something he didn't want to do. HIs high school tape looks pretty good. It would actually be amazing to hear he was competing for the starting gig by the end of fall camp because that bar doesn't seem to be that high. At a minimum, perhaps his ceiling is higher than Clemons and Svboda. Either way, I just want one of these guys to come in and take the job. I think that would be a good signal.
W-Y, Until I Die!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

At least this move woke me up and made me take some notice. Hopefully he can show something to become an option at the position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:28 pm At least this move woke me up and made me take some notice. Hopefully he can show something to become an option at the position.
This is a good observation and is consistent with how I feel. Any slam dunk transfers aren't coming to Laramie. This guy might have question marks but at least he appears to have some physical tools.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

307bball wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:22 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Sun May 07, 2023 12:28 pm At least this move woke me up and made me take some notice. Hopefully he can show something to become an option at the position.
This is a good observation and is consistent with how I feel. Any slam dunk transfers aren't coming to Laramie. This guy might have question marks but at least he appears to have some physical tools.
Maybe the thought is to get some reps someplace were you have a shot at playing time and hopefully use it as springboard to a starting position here or elsewhere.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

doreno5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am
307bball wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 7:22 am

Maybe the thought is to get some reps someplace were you have a shot at playing time and hopefully use it as springboard to a starting position here or elsewhere.
Bohl will not replace Peasley with anyone else while Peasley is breathing and has eligibility. Peasley could throw for 40 yards per game and have a 30% completion rate and he would still be the Wyoming starter.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 9:27 am
doreno5 wrote: Mon May 08, 2023 8:22 am

Bohl will not replace Peasley with anyone else while Peasley is breathing and has eligibility. Peasley could throw for 40 yards per game and have a 30% completion rate and he would still be the Wyoming starter.
I think you're underestimating Bohl on this one. There's a reason they let May sign with a CC then picked him up after the spring game.

The timing is not coincidence.