MWC Realignment

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 8:07 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 10:12 pm

Or completely dismantled. If 4 corner schools and suds are big12 bound, the situation changes quite a bit.
I just don't know where this crazy merry-go-round stops. There is no loyalty or anything - it's just about money and that is a shame.
It is definitely a crazy situation. You are right that it is all about the money....and not small amounts either. The difference in payouts for P5 vs the rung right below (where we are) is not double or triple ... I think we are at around 1/5 of the media payout of the Big12 (the lowest of the P5).
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:54 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:12 am
Terrible analogy. College football is a very lucrative marketing arm for universities.....ie, it's a business and point of the business is very different than the point of a spousal relationship.

Relationships are important in business but they take a back seat to actually making money. If the "Big East debacle" had markedly better financial upside, SDSU and BSU would not be in the MW right now, and rightfully so.

It will be interesting to see what happens now. It still may be a mistake to leave the MW for the PAC.... But if you have a chance at all income increase at the level of getting into a P5 conference.... It is definitely a move that a school would be idiotic to not consider.
I liked the analogy and would post it again. SDSU shouldn’t be given the chance to return. Screw’’m

and Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers in Poke-land.
Being incorrect has not stopped anybody from shooting their mouths off on sports message boards so you are in good company I suppose. Ultimately it's academic...they are making their play to be in the tier above the MWC schools in the future. They have a valuable brand that puts them above the non-BSU institutions and that is the reality. If you have a shot to make it into that club...you better do everything in your power to do it. Believe me...if Wyoming was in SDSU's seat and the administration was like "we value our historic rivalries and are going to make a principled stand against conference realignment by not accepting an invitation"...how fast would they get canned?

TCU, UCF, Cincinatti, Houston, BYU, Utah have all gone down the road that SDSU is trying to get on...Are they going to make it in?...Sort of seems like it...but we'll see what transpires. whatever happens, Wyoming will get left holding the leftovers.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

I don't understand why people take it so personally. All G5 teams don't want to be G5.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict

laxwyo wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:11 am I don't understand why people take it so personally. All G5 teams don't want to be G5.
I think fans are generally emotionally pretty invested....Makes for enjoyable rooting experience but it's not a good way to run an athletic conference or negotiate a media deal. I don't claim to know the in's and out's of all of these agreements but buyouts and penalties seem to rarely have any teeth anymore...they always get negotiated down. Somebody who is smarter than me probably could tell you why.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Jun 19, 2023 2:53 pm
You guys need to read some of the replies to the twitter post. Some are very obviously SDSU Fans. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Gawd the egos those morons have is hilariously bad!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Jun 18, 2023 3:54 pm
307bball wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 6:12 am
Terrible analogy. College football is a very lucrative marketing arm for universities.....ie, it's a business and point of the business is very different than the point of a spousal relationship.

Relationships are important in business but they take a back seat to actually making money. If the "Big East debacle" had markedly better financial upside, SDSU and BSU would not be in the MW right now, and rightfully so.

It will be interesting to see what happens now. It still may be a mistake to leave the MW for the PAC.... But if you have a chance at all income increase at the level of getting into a P5 conference.... It is definitely a move that a school would be idiotic to not consider.
I liked the analogy and would post it again. SDSU shouldn’t be given the chance to return. Screw’’m

and Happy Father’s Day to all the fathers in Poke-land.
I say Amen to the above!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

My favorite so far

W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

The Pac 12 tv deal not being done yet is a pretty big deal.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 105 times

SDSU stepped on their own dicks on this one

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:27 pm SDSU stepped on their own dicks on this one

DAMNED! You beat me by a half hour! :rofl: :rofl:

Sage bet they just found out the new TV deal the PAC-12 is getting is completely worthless. Translation...bye-be PAC-12 see ya on conference boothill along with the Southwest Conference, the Big 8, etc....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:04 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 2:27 pm SDSU stepped on their own dicks on this one

Sage bet they just found out the new TV deal the PAC-12 is getting is completely worthless. Translation...bye-be PAC-12 see ya on conference boothill along with the Southwest Conference, the Big 8, etc....
The person I spoke to thought the TV deal for the PAC was going to be decent. You definitely could be right. Alternatively, PAC is standing pat because suds didn't add enough to value. I guess the other option is the PAC still doesn't have a tv deal and isn't that close?

It's weird at this point.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 4:41 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 3:04 pm

The person I spoke to thought the TV deal for the PAC was going to be decent. You definitely could be right. Alternatively, PAC is standing pat because suds didn't add enough to value. I guess the other option is the PAC still doesn't have a tv deal and isn't that close?

It's weird at this point.
This is purely contractual. The lawyers found a loophole to exploit by rescinding the notice.
W-Y, Until I Die!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

Last edited by ragtimejoe1 on Tue Jul 04, 2023 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sp ... stribution

This is going to get interesting. Leveraging for larger exit fee? Longer commitment from suds?

Looks like a legal battle brewing. Suds better hope that pac lifeline comes.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

I seem to remember someone here insisting to me that it was "official" and "a done deal" just because the AD made mention of the PAC 12 being a possibility at an event in Houston months ago. I got clowned on for pointing out that it literally wasn't "official" and any number of things could go wrong.

Granted, I didn't expect both SDSU and the PAC-12 to outright slam their dicks in doors, but I do love being right.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Got to admit I am pleasantly surprised at what's taken place. I thought SDSU was gone judging by the amount of propaganda that school and AD put out. Guess I should have been smarter. SDSU doesn't increase the $$, so why would the PAC want them? Maybe they somehow get into the PAC, but I'm enjoying their predicament for the time being.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 9:46 am Got to admit I am pleasantly surprised at what's taken place. I thought SDSU was gone judging by the amount of propaganda that school and AD put out. Guess I should have been smarter. SDSU doesn't increase the $$, so why would the PAC want them? Maybe they somehow get into the PAC, but I'm enjoying their predicament for the time being.
Same. I hope that the backfire continues honestly. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

https://wcfcourier.com/sports/college/u ... ab785.html

That's interesting. I always assumed but one of the first I've read of an AD stating sdsu and ndsu trying to get in mwc.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

DamThatRiver22 wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2023 11:44 am I seem to remember someone here insisting to me that it was "official" and "a done deal" just because the AD made mention of the PAC 12 being a possibility at an event in Houston months ago. I got clowned on for pointing out that it literally wasn't "official" and any number of things could go wrong.

Granted, I didn't expect both SDSU and the PAC-12 to outright slam their dicks in doors, but I do love being right.
“Someone” was me. And I’m man enough to admit it. What do you NOT get about SDSU wanted/wants out? And if you need some affirmation you were right, to pat you on the head and say you’re good little boy. That ain’t me.

Most of this thread is about how SDSU is trying to leave the conference which is what I posted, and yes I was the one who quoted the AD.