Xavier McCord

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

I just read in the CST about Wyoming not wanting to offer Xavier McCord from LCCC. I am really surprised. On face value that would seem to me to be very out of touch with reality for the staff. I figured he warranted an offer just for the fact that Linder needs to win the fanbase back. Even if Maldo says we don't deserve it, the reality is that most of the fan base is uneasy to say the least. Part of Linders job is to get fans into the arena. Having Cheyenne support wouldn't hurt in that aspect. Even if Xavier doesn't work out, he is worth an offer in my opinion because we have 9 open scholarships!!!! He is plenty athletic to play D1. I think he lead his team in rebounding at 6'5". He can jump out of the gym. He averaged around 19 to 20 ppg. He had a 43 point game this year. Maybe someone closer to the situation would be able to explain this move by Linder and the staff. Maybe Xavier didn't want to come here at all? Not sure, just surprised they wouldn't offer at all given the circumstances.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Not sure who Thorburn's source is, but I've heard directly from McCord that both Wyoming and the sheep have offered.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:12 am Not sure who Thorburn's source is, but I've heard directly from McCord that both Wyoming and the sheep have offered.
Kind of like Marcus Baily. People didn't think he'd get offered either.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:12 am Not sure who Thorburn's source is, but I've heard directly from McCord that both Wyoming and the sheep have offered.
That is great news! Thanks for the info.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

rich22 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:37 am I just read in the CST about Wyoming not wanting to offer Xavier McCord from LCCC. I am really surprised. On face value that would seem to me to be very out of touch with reality for the staff. I figured he warranted an offer just for the fact that Linder needs to win the fanbase back. Even if Maldo says we don't deserve it, the reality is that most of the fan base is uneasy to say the least. Part of Linders job is to get fans into the arena. Having Cheyenne support wouldn't hurt in that aspect. Even if Xavier doesn't work out, he is worth an offer in my opinion because we have 9 open scholarships!!!! He is plenty athletic to play D1. I think he lead his team in rebounding at 6'5". He can jump out of the gym. He averaged around 19 to 20 ppg. He had a 43 point game this year. Maybe someone closer to the situation would be able to explain this move by Linder and the staff. Maybe Xavier didn't want to come here at all? Not sure, just surprised they wouldn't offer at all given the circumstances.
As one person in the fanbase, Linder doesn’t need to win me back. I’m solidly behind him. That said, this would be odd that he wouldn’t be recruited here.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Did McCord share which way he’s leaning?
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm
He didn't
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:17 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:24 pm

He didn't
Does he know it sucks to be a csu ram?
W-Y, Until I Die!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:11 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:17 pm

He didn't
Indeed. If not…….someone needs to tell him.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:18 pm
laxwyo wrote: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:11 pm

Indeed. If not…….someone needs to tell him.
If he loves the chronic, then he'll be in Fort Collins.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Well we should offer him. SOMEONE has got to suit up for the pokes.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 75 times

Thorburn reported again today that we are out on McCord. He mentions some other new targets that I hadn't heard about.

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

The bold part of this quote seems to signal that we are going to settle to fill the roster - or that we have to settle to fill the roster:

“In the portal I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a few kids from lower-level schools who were very good or very talented and developed and Jeff thinks can fit his program,” UW athletics director Tom Burman said. “Jeff loves kids who can shoot the basketball, have a high basketball I.Q. and can really play hard. If he can find all of those (attributes), then I think you’re going to see him take them even if they’re a little slower, a little shorter, a little whatever.”
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Hello last place.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm The bold part of this quote seems to signal that we are going to settle to fill the roster - or that we have to settle to fill the roster:

“In the portal I wouldn’t be surprised if you see a few kids from lower-level schools who were very good or very talented and developed and Jeff thinks can fit his program,” UW athletics director Tom Burman said. “Jeff loves kids who can shoot the basketball, have a high basketball I.Q. and can really play hard. If he can find all of those (attributes), then I think you’re going to see him take them even if they’re a little slower, a little shorter, a little whatever.”
But the McCord kid is not good enough... OK. Whatever, coach Linder.

Linder has always recruited shooters. Look at how bad we were with our arsenal of (non)shooters last year. Linder needs to recruit someone that can take the damn rock to the hole and get a rebound and play d. Someone that weighs more than 175 lbs.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:27 pm The bold part of this quote seems to signal that we are going to settle to fill the roster - or that we have to settle to fill the roster:

What a STUPID f-word COMMENT. That is our AD for you, right there. REDICULOUS. :thumbdown:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:44 pm

Linder has always recruited shooters. Look at how bad we were with our arsenal of (non)shooters last year. Linder needs to recruit someone that can take the damn rock to the hole and get a rebound and play d. Someone that weighs more than 175 lbs.
Didn’t see a lot of short, slow, weak players in the NCAA tourney. SDSU’s guys were long and ripped. Same with FAU. To win today - especially in the Tourney - you need to have size, strength and good feet. Having one or two sharpshooters is really all you need. This year’s tourney was won at and above the rim.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LawPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 3:44 pm

Didn’t see a lot of short, slow, weak players in the NCAA tourney. SDSU’s guys were long and ripped. Same with FAU. To win today - especially in the Tourney - you need to have size, strength and good feet. Having one or two sharpshooters is really all you need. This year’s tourney was won at and above the rim.
I think you kind of need all of the above right? Any team that is only good at outside shooting or only has size, no matter how good they are, will have that part taken away from them and lose at some point.

Wyoming is definitely in a stretch where we have been pretty skinny physically for some years now. I too see a marked difference between NCAA tourney teams and Wyoming in the size dimension. That actually persists in the entire bottom half of the NCAA though. Elite or even above average size is heavily segregated in the better programs.

Up until the events of this last season I had sort of been sympathetic that it is going to be easier to win in Bball at Wyoming than football. Now i'm not too sure. For now and the forseeable future...the college basketball players are "guns for hire" and will jump even from blue-blood programs when given an opportunity. If that is the case, what chance does the University of Wyoming with it's lack of all the things that recruits care about, even have? Players win games....and they are not coming/staying. Can Linder get/keep them here? Can any coach?