Former Player

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:54 am
Smeller wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:17 am How much money did Ike get?
None of that will ever be publicly disclosed or acknowledged by any party. But based on his reported initial asking price of $500K, it is probably in the high 6 figure range somewhere. Wyoming donors were wise to let Ike 'walk.'
How many more tickets would UW have sold with Ike on the roster? How much additional revenue would Ike have generated? Would have to really look at the numbers to determine if it was a wise decision.

What do boosters ultimately want? wins. Ike would have brought quite a few of those too.

Got to finish by saying I'm no fan of Ike. He really didn't give a care about the people that helped him along to get where he is today.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 11:28 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 10:54 am

None of that will ever be publicly disclosed or acknowledged by any party. But based on his reported initial asking price of $500K, it is probably in the high 6 figure range somewhere. Wyoming donors were wise to let Ike 'walk.'
How many more tickets would UW have sold with Ike on the roster? How much additional revenue would Ike have generated? Would have to really look at the numbers to determine if it was a wise decision.

What do boosters ultimately want? wins. Ike would have brought quite a few of those too.

Got to finish by saying I'm no fan of Ike. He really didn't give a care about the people that helped him along to get where he is today.
The donors ultimately spoke with their pocket books. They weren’t willing to meet the demands. Like I said before, I’m not spending a single cent to pay any athlete directly but others are certainly free to do so.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Graham going to Gonzaga is a good fit, and my 2nd favorite team so it'll be fun to watch his progress!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

stymeman wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:27 pm Graham going to Gonzaga is a good fit, and my 2nd favorite team so it'll be fun to watch his progress!!!
Screw Ike. I don’t give a poop where he plays and don’t care if he makes another basket in his career. Hope he fails, in fact
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:43 pm
stymeman wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:27 pm Graham going to Gonzaga is a good fit, and my 2nd favorite team so it'll be fun to watch his progress!!!
Screw Ike. I don’t give a poop where he plays and don’t care if he makes another basket in his career. Hope he fails, in fact
Wyoming paid heavily to rehab him for 2 years, and took a major chance on him with a torn ACL right out of the gate. One could say that Wyoming made him what he is today (but that would mean Wyoming made him a f*cking greedy ungrateful as*hole). He had skills coming in, but he wouldn't be where he is today, without Wyoming & Linder. And for that, we get thanked by him transferring. Classy, and the sign of a person with great honor & integrity. :roll:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 64 times

Well, you should go over to the Gonzaga board and cheer lead your new player. The last time I checked, this is a Wyoming board and no one gives a poop about Gonzaga.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

Everyone butt hurt in here cracks me up. Sure it would have been nice to have Ike still on the team, but any of you in here acting like you wouldn’t have taken $500k at age 19 or 20 are just full of it. Up to your ears. I’m as huge of Wyoming fan as there is and I would have left for another school if they want to give me $500k to play basketball. You are a complete idiot if you don’t take it.

Has nothing to do with being loyal or having integrity. If I already had a lot of money as a 19 or 20 year old then you might pass on it cause you don’t need the money. BUT as a 19 or 20 year old 95% don’t have close to that kind of money and unless you are just stupid as hell you would take $500k. Anyone that says they won’t is full of it.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:27 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 12:43 pm

Wyoming paid heavily to rehab him for 2 years, and took a major chance on him with a torn ACL right out of the gate. One could say that Wyoming made him what he is today (but that would mean Wyoming made him a f*cking greedy ungrateful as*hole). He had skills coming in, but he wouldn't be where he is today, without Wyoming & Linder. And for that, we get thanked by him transferring. Classy, and the sign of a person with great honor & integrity. :roll:
And he made sure to get the NIL $$ on the way out the door. He had to wait to enter the Portal in order to fulfill one last obligation (remember the little kids and the Cheyenne YMCA)? What little NIL we have, he made sure to get that.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:56 pm Everyone butt hurt in here cracks me up. Sure it would have been nice to have Ike still on the team, but any of you in here acting like you wouldn’t have taken $500k at age 19 or 20 are just full of it. Up to your ears. I’m as huge of Wyoming fan as there is and I would have left for another school if they want to give me $500k to play basketball. You are a complete idiot if you don’t take it.

Has nothing to do with being loyal or having integrity. If I already had a lot of money as a 19 or 20 year old then you might pass on it cause you don’t need the money. BUT as a 19 or 20 year old 95% don’t have close to that kind of money and unless you are just stupid as hell you would take $500k. Anyone that says they won’t is full of it.
Well, defending myself a bit here...

I would have "taken" the $$$ as well - anyone would, that isn't the point, or the root of my angst (I should have written my OG post clearer). Announce on twitter you are entering the portal, on the day your coach (see my previous post) buried his dad? That IS an integrity issue, and sure is a slap in the face to Wyoming for all Wyoming did for him.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:56 pm Everyone butt hurt in here cracks me up. Sure it would have been nice to have Ike still on the team, but any of you in here acting like you wouldn’t have taken $500k at age 19 or 20 are just full of it. Up to your ears. I’m as huge of Wyoming fan as there is and I would have left for another school if they want to give me $500k to play basketball. You are a complete idiot if you don’t take it.

I agree. If he is my client, I'd tell Ike he would be an idiot not to take the money. A professional sports career is a crapshoot and getting paid in college allows a player to mitigate their future risk (especially a guy like Ike with physical health issues).

The system just sucks for Wyoming. Personally, I think it is a colossal waste of money to pay a group of 18-22 year olds a bunch of money; but we all know what they say about a fool and his money. Eventually (and a few here have referenced his), people are going to wise up and realize that they aren't receiving the ROI that they anticipated and the NIL numbers will decrease. But, for now, it is the wild west of who can pay the most.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 2:06 pm

Well, defending myself a bit here...

I would have "taken" the $$$ as well - anyone would, that isn't the point, or the root of my angst (I should have written my OG post clearer). Announce on twitter you are entering the portal, on the day your coach (see my previous post) buried his dad? That IS an integrity issue, and sure is a slap in the face to Wyoming for all Wyoming did for him.
Extremely poor timing. But, absent information otherwise, I think we have to give Ike the benefit of the doubt that he didn't realize the timing of his announcement. Either way, it tells me that he is an unaware person.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:57 pm
McPeachy wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:27 pm

And he made sure to get the NIL $$ on the way out the door. He had to wait to enter the Portal in order to fulfill one last obligation (remember the little kids and the Cheyenne YMCA)? What little NIL we have, he made sure to get that.
I speculate he was fulfilling his commitment for his 2022-2023 NIL money... (pure speculation)

But I sure as hell hope donors aren't (and will not) funneling dollars through very respectable charities such as Boys & Girls Club to pay athletes NIL and then to claim a 501(c)(3) charitable tax deduction...
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:35 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 1:57 pm
I speculate he was fulfilling his commitment for his 2022-2023 NIL money... (pure speculation)

But I sure as hell hope donors aren't (and will not) funneling dollars through very respectable charities such as Boys & Girls Club to pay athletes NIL and then to claim a 501(c)(3) charitable tax deduction...
The naivete on this board is staggering. Funny how there's lots of folks in Wyo who claim they're on higher ground as the tide washes right over them and everything is swept away.

The world changes, constantly. All the denial in Wyoming (which is a LOT) doesn't change that. I have a friend who was all kinds of excited about beer sales at the War. Then, when he found out that, like every other stadium in the U.S., there would be no half-time re-entry, he gave up his season tickets the following season. Tickets he'd had since the late 70's. All because, "CHANGE!"

The landscape of College Football and Basketball is tumultuous right now, as it has been in the past. Perhaps things are a bit more seismic as we are actually witnessing the failure of the mission of the NCAA, but something else is going to replace it, eventually. It'd be nice if we had the collective vision and courage of conviction to basically lead the re-invention of the NCAA, but, apparently, we don't, so, to be cliche- it's going to be what it's going to be. We're sitting around letting change happen to us...

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of ME." -Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson), THE DEPARTED
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:18 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:35 pm

The naivete on this board is staggering. Funny how there's lots of folks in Wyo who claim they're on higher ground as the tide washes right over them and everything is swept away.

The world changes, constantly. All the denial in Wyoming (which is a LOT) doesn't change that. I have a friend who was all kinds of excited about beer sales at the War. Then, when he found out that, like every other stadium in the U.S., there would be no half-time re-entry, he gave up his season tickets the following season. Tickets he'd had since the late 70's. All because, "CHANGE!"

The landscape of College Football and Basketball is tumultuous right now, as it has been in the past. Perhaps things are a bit more seismic as we are actually witnessing the failure of the mission of the NCAA, but something else is going to replace it, eventually. It'd be nice if we had the collective vision and courage of conviction to basically lead the re-invention of the NCAA, but, apparently, we don't, so, to be cliche- it's going to be what it's going to be. We're sitting around letting change happen to us...

"I don't want to be a product of my environment. I want my environment to be a product of ME." -Frank Costello (Jack Nicholson), THE DEPARTED
Who's the "we?" If you're talking about UW athletics leading a change, that's not likely to happen. One school doesn't have the pull to make it happen. Even a conference would struggle to correct the system.

If you're talking about individuals stepping up to create an NIL collective, count me out. I'm not contributing to a corrupted system. I'll keep my tickets and contribute to CJC at my current middle class level. Pay-for-play is a bad idea.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:24 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 6:18 pm

Who's the "we?" If you're talking about UW athletics leading a change, that's not likely to happen. One school doesn't have the pull to make it happen. Even a conference would struggle to correct the system.

If you're talking about individuals stepping up to create an NIL collective, count me out. I'm not contributing to a corrupted system. I'll keep my tickets and contribute to CJC at my current middle class level. Pay-for-play is a bad idea.
Bingo..
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:49 am
flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 7:24 pm

Bingo..
Opting out of a system that's destroying college sports (NIL) is not a failure of "collective vision and courage of conviction to basically lead the re-invention of the NCAA..." I would say contributing money to an NIL collective is actively supporting a system that is harming the sport.

I thought about this the other day. How much would I be willing to personally contribute to keep Ike at Wyoming? If I gave, say, $10/month, would that help? How about $100? The problem is that giving any sum less than thousands doesn't really do anything to guarantee a player like Ike would stay. Would I get any say in which players get my money? Probably not unless it was in the thousands range.

And, contributions that go to an NIL collective are likely to compete with gifts to CJC. I'm not the biggest fan of how CJC operates, but it is how we fund scholarships. At the end of the day, the amount I'm willing (and able) to give to NIL isn't enough to move the needle at all. It likely won't get distributed the way I'd want it to. It's very likley to fund salaries for people to run the collective, which I'm not willing to do. And it supports a system where athletes play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.

The upside is that I don't think this NIL/transfer portal system will last. I don't have a good sense of what's going to happen, but it's not sustainable. If I were the NCAA, the first thing I'd do is add a price tag to transfers. The school a player transfers to is required to reimburse his/her former school for tuition/costs of educating them up to that point. At least the former school gets something back for their investment. It won't stop big schools from poaching high-level talent, but it will make them pause for a second. Gonzaga would be writing a $75,000 to $100,000 check to UW right now. And it would put a number in front of players so they realize that they aren't playing for free.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 12 times

Speaking of NIL...I have a couple of really nice, barely used, brown and gold T's of one Graham Ike and one X Dusell that I am willing to part with CHEAP! (Keeping the Maldo...)
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:09 pm
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 1:49 am

Bingo..
Opting out of a system that's destroying college sports (NIL) is not a failure of "collective vision and courage of conviction to basically lead the re-invention of the NCAA..." I would say contributing money to an NIL collective is actively supporting a system that is harming the sport.

I thought about this the other day. How much would I be willing to personally contribute to keep Ike at Wyoming? If I gave, say, $10/month, would that help? How about $100? The problem is that giving any sum less than thousands doesn't really do anything to guarantee a player like Ike would stay. Would I get any say in which players get my money? Probably not unless it was in the thousands range.

And, contributions that go to an NIL collective are likely to compete with gifts to CJC. I'm not the biggest fan of how CJC operates, but it is how we fund scholarships. At the end of the day, the amount I'm willing (and able) to give to NIL isn't enough to move the needle at all. It likely won't get distributed the way I'd want it to. It's very likley to fund salaries for people to run the collective, which I'm not willing to do. And it supports a system where athletes play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.

Well written and agreed.

Our fanbase starting an NIL collective is like dropping a mop bucket of water on a forest fire. In addition to the likely poor return on investment, we can’t and won’t compete in this arms race.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:09 pm .... And it supports a system where athletes play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.
This is the part that all of the people who harbor resentment towards players transferring are missing. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

This is how every player in the modern era has felt...the transfer rules just kept it from manifesting. If you think Larry Nance, Josh Adams, Josh Allen, Brandon Ewing, etc... would have stayed if they had mid 6 figures and no penalty to transfer....you are just naive. Players who are playing men's college basketball and football are professionals, full stop. These guys are not student athletes. They are not loyal to their school. On the hardwood and on the gridiron they are often consummate team players that want to win but once the game ends, every one of these guys are making business decisions and school loyalty doesn't factor in. This is not a moral issue. The hate towards the players is just asinine.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Sun Apr 23, 2023 6:46 am
flyfishwyo wrote: Sat Apr 22, 2023 3:09 pm .... And it supports a system where athletes play for the name on the back of the jersey, not the front.
This is the part that all of the people who harbor resentment towards players transferring are missing. IT HAS ALWAYS BEEN THIS WAY.

This is how every player in the modern era has felt...the transfer rules just kept it from manifesting. If you think Larry Nance, Josh Adams, Josh Allen, Brandon Ewing, etc... would have stayed if they had mid 6 figures and no penalty to transfer....you are just naive. Players who are playing men's college basketball and football are professionals, full stop. These guys are not student athletes. They are not loyal to their school. On the hardwood and on the gridiron they are often consummate team players that want to win but once the game ends, every one of these guys are making business decisions and school loyalty doesn't factor in. This is not a moral issue. The hate towards the players is just asinine.
Despite what you think, the student athlete still exists. There are guys that play for the school and the love of the sport who do realize that they will never make much (if any) money from the sport they play.

While the dynamic has now changed at the D1 level; go watch a Colorado Mines game (they are elite in D2 in both football and basketball). Then go talk to those players and ask them why they play and how much time they spend on school work compared to athletics.

But yes - guys like Josh Allen would definitely have left in today’s environment. If someone is going to pay that kind of money, every person in their right mind would take the money and secure their financial future.