Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm
Hey screw you, butt wipe.

These players don't care about my school, town or state. So I'm beginning to wonder if I should give a crap about them. And you're pathetic. I bet you're the kind of guy that wishes all our former players that transfer well and roots for them. I bet you root for the guy that stole your girlfriend. No pride whatsoever. It's honestly pathetic.
Just curious- are you a fan of any pro sports team?
No, not really. I'm a fan of Josh Allen and the Bills, but as soon as Josh is no longer a Bill I'm out. I loved college sports because it was different from the pros. It was personal and intimate. Something deeper than just money. Not anymore! College sports is just another professional league and it sucks. Money really must be the root of all evil.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

307bball wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 7:33 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:21 pm
Hey screw you, butt wipe.

These players don't care about my school, town or state. So I'm beginning to wonder if I should give a crap about them. And you're pathetic. I bet you're the kind of guy that wishes all our former players that transfer well and roots for them. I bet you root for the guy that stole your girlfriend. No pride whatsoever. It's honestly pathetic.
This isn't the first time I've heard the "root for the guy that stole your girlfriend" on this board...I'm guessing it was you the other time as well. What is the relationship you have to the sports teams you cheer for? If it rises to the level of a partner (spouse or otherwise) then I guess your weird animosity towards players that transfer is at least somewhat explicable.

My advice....get some perspective...the 18 or so year old kids that play for Wyoming have way to much impact on your mental state.
Oh, I just rage about it for a couple minutes. I let it fly on here. I sure can't always say what I really think irl. What are message boards for? I've got wayyy too much stuff going on in my life to let it affect my "mental health". UW sports is important, but not that important. I've got a very fulfilling life. lol

But I will say it was a pretty poop thing for Brandon to say. Imagine your wife of 20 years saying to you "I wish I would have divorced you 10 years in." what the frick? Like, why does that even need to be said.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 am

This isn't the first time I've heard the "root for the guy that stole your girlfriend" on this board...I'm guessing it was you the other time as well. What is the relationship you have to the sports teams you cheer for? If it rises to the level of a partner (spouse or otherwise) then I guess your weird animosity towards players that transfer is at least somewhat explicable.

My advice....get some perspective...the 18 or so year old kids that play for Wyoming have way to much impact on your mental state.
Oh, I just rage about it for a couple minutes. I let it fly on here. I sure can't always say what I really think irl. What are message boards for? I've got wayyy too much stuff going on in my life to let it affect my "mental health". UW sports is important, but not that important. I've got a very fulfilling life. lol

But I will say it was a pretty poop thing for Brandon to say. Imagine your wife of 20 years saying to you "I wish I would have divorced you 10 years in." what the frick? Like, why does that even need to be said.
Well... As far as venting on message boards.... You are right ... Pretty good place to let it fly.

I guess I just don't see the parallels to to relationships that you are drawing. What Brandon said was nothing at all like a partner of twenty years having second thoughts.... They just aren't in the same universe. I mean .. The guy was a great player here and his "crime" is that he acknowledges that if he were playing nowadays with the freedom that really good players have.... He might have made a different decision. Seems banal to me.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Xavier Dusell to Fresno St. This one really pisses
me off.
Last edited by Pokes fan 24-7 on Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:22 am
Wow, what the heck.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 11:22 am
WTF. Lost a lot of respect here.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

What's so bad about this one? The guy saw some sort of advantage to a situation and he took it! Can't blame a guy for wanting to leave Laramie for a fantastic place like Fresno! It's so much more like home, wherever that was. You guys criticizing a 21 year old kid for transferring to a conference rival just need to get with the times.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Man.... I know intellectually that these college players are just surrounded by bad incentives..... But it really sucks as a fan to look ahead and be 95% certain that there will never be another Marcus Harris or Reginald Slater type of player that is nationally recognized who finishes thier college playing career as a cowboy. There may not even be a Jeron Roberts or Boughknight top of conference type of player.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

'PokeForLife wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:34 pm What's so bad about this one? The guy saw some sort of advantage to a situation and he took it! Can't blame a guy for wanting to leave Laramie for a fantastic place like Fresno! It's so much more like home, wherever that was. You guys criticizing a 21 year old kid for transferring to a conference rival just need to get with the times.
Arizona
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

'PokeForLife wrote: Sun Apr 09, 2023 5:34 pm What's so bad about this one? The guy saw some sort of advantage to a situation and he took it! Can't blame a guy for wanting to leave Laramie for a fantastic place like Fresno! It's so much more like home, wherever that was. You guys criticizing a 21 year old kid for transferring to a conference rival just need to get with the times.
Haha, that's pretty good.

DuSell going to Fresno State makes absolutely zero logical sense other than he must dislike Linder and/or Laramie.

1) Not Going Home - DuSell is from Scottsdale Arizona...Fresno is nowhere close.
2) Not Getting a Bunch of NIL - There is no way that Fresno is paying much in NIL. At least nothing that should move the needle.
3) Not Going to a Contender - Fresno, Wyoming and Air Force will likely be fighting for the conference basement next year.
4) Not Improving Competition - Fresno is in the MWC and plays about as weak of non-conference schedule as Wyoming.
5) Not Getting More Playing Time - DuSell was set to get nearly 40 minutes a game next year. At Fresno, I'd assume he is a starter but certainly will not be getting more playing time than he would at Wyoming.

Apparently he just wants the chance to play against Wyoming...for a team that has less interest and draws smaller crowds than Wyoming.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

Fresno "a fantastic place"? Since when? I spent some time working there, not a favorite.

I am increasingly starting to wonder if it is Linder and his coaching style which caused everyone to leave. Did not want to believe before and still hope it was something else.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:40 am

DuSell going to Fresno State makes absolutely zero logical sense other than he must dislike Linder and/or Laramie.

1) Not Going Home - DuSell is from Scottsdale Arizona...Fresno is nowhere close.
2) Not Getting a Bunch of NIL - There is no way that Fresno is paying much in NIL. At least nothing that should move the needle.
3) Not Going to a Contender - Fresno, Wyoming and Air Force will likely be fighting for the conference basement next year.
4) Not Improving Competition - Fresno is in the MWC and plays about as weak of non-conference schedule as Wyoming.
5) Not Getting More Playing Time - DuSell was set to get nearly 40 minutes a game next year. At Fresno, I'd assume he is a starter but certainly will not be getting more playing time than he would at Wyoming.

Apparently he just wants the chance to play against Wyoming...for a team that has less interest and draws smaller crowds than Wyoming.
We can dispense with thinking that we know why these players make the decisions that they do right? Your reasons 1-5 would seem to make it about a wash. I imagine for DuSell that the choice was not Wyoming vs Fresno...but Wyoming vs the best he could possibly get. I can imagine that he could be neutral or even somewhat disappointed that he ended up at Fresno.

As far as breaking down the differences between the two programs...I think you pretty much summed it up except I don't know that you can find a program with less interest and smaller crowds in the MWC than Wyoming the latter half of the year and going into next year.
Poke in New England
Cowpoke
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 78 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:07 am
Fresno "a fantastic place"? Since when? I spent some time working there, not a favorite.

I am increasingly starting to wonder if it is Linder and his coaching style which caused everyone to leave. Did not want to believe before and still hope it was something else.
I think you missed some sarcasm.

We can try to endlessly break down the reasons/side-by-side comparisons of transfer destinations for former players. But as you say, the coach is the common factor. Hard truth is that the players thought he was a prick last season or at least thought he acted like one once things started to go South. Is that the "softness" of the current generation of players? I think that plays a part. But that is ultimately besides the point, since the players hold all the cards now and the teams hold none. It's on Linder, like it was on Bohl, to adapt. I still have a lot of trust that he will.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Some pretty good points being made here. Not going to lie, I won't be too sad if we see a similar circumstance as we saw with Jevon Bigelow leaving a program where he was getting a lot of playing time (as the 2nd string running back) to transferring to Fresno State and becoming a 5th stringer with zero carries over multiple years. At Fresno, Bigelow's running style didn't fit like it fit with Bohl's system. I am not sure that DuSell fits the offensive philosophy at Fresno either.

https://gobulldogs.com/sports/football/ ... elow/12058
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 8:40 am

Half a day drive compared to ___ and way warmer of climate.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Really, DuSell, really? Fresno?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Apr 06, 2023 9:37 am

My problem with you "letting it fly" is the inconsistent personal insults you throw at players. They don't get to defend themselves. I'm sooo tired of your "Thompson sucks" crap and this perceived slight by Ewing. I'm far from Thompson's biggest supporter, but the kid stayed when he had plenty of opportunities to leave. And, you never thought of how things would have been different in your career if you had taken a different job? Your perspective is messed up.
PokeTransplant
Cowpoke
Has liked: 22 times
Been liked: 14 times

Barnhardt ends up at the other SDSU. South Dakota State? I suppose it's a little closer to his hometown....
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

I am hearing Graham Ike to Gonzaga!