How many are going to the spring game?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:52 am
laxwyo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 am I didn’t think it was a good sign Peasely was ordained starter and still don’t. We essentially know what we have. He had a lot of bad games and gets a pass. Clemons comes in and beats CSU and has a bad game against BSU and gets the hook. Peasely had multiple bad games like Clemons had against BSU. It’s a bad sign when Svoboda and Clemons aren’t pushing to replace a lower mid QB.
I believe Svoboda is pushing Peasley. Bohl has sung Svoboda's praises all Spring and he was clearly at least the #2 guy at the end of Spring (Clemons got no snaps with the #1 offense while Svoboda played for both teams in the scrimmage). Anyone that watched that Svoboda laser of a throw in the wind knows he is the more talented passer. Clemons is clearly not the answer.

But we all know (barring injury) that Peasley will be the starter come fall. However, I think his leash might be shorter than QBs have seen in previous years. This reminds me a lot of the Cam Coffman/Josh Allen situation.
Because Bohl was the head coach, I think it is unlikely that Allen, who I thought outplayed Coffman in the spring game, would have ever gotten to start if Coffman did not get injured. Peasley will start this year, absent injury I doubt anyone else will start any of the games.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

laxwyo wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:08 am I didn’t think it was a good sign Peasely was ordained starter and still don’t. We essentially know what we have. He had a lot of bad games and gets a pass. Clemons comes in and beats CSU and has a bad game against BSU and gets the hook. Peasely had multiple bad games like Clemons had against BSU. It’s a bad sign when Svoboda and Clemons aren’t pushing to replace a lower mid QB.
Yeah. Clemons throws a way better ball than Peasley and isn't far behind as a runner. Not sure why Bohl loves Peasley so much.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:05 am
Yeah. Clemons throws a way better ball than Peasley and isn't far behind as a runner. Not sure why Bohl loves Peasley so much.
I don't believe this to be true. Clemons has made a couple nice throws in his time last year and many terrible throws. In the spring game, Clemons looked like the clear 3rd stringer to me behind Peasley and Svoboda.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 11:39 am
LawPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 10:54 am

10 years in and people were believing Bohl's BS about a changed offense. A tiger doesn't change its stripes. Our receiving corps is terrible and our QB is subpar. I like Peasley, but he is not even a mid-tier D1 prospect. Until Grant gets the boot as the WR coach and we bring in a true QB coach, and not an O-line guy that we fit into the spot, we are a .500 squad.
It's unreal how bad the coaching staff is on offense.
I blame Bohl more than the offensive position coaches. Vigen proves they are running the offense Bohl wants. You can’t pull a rabbit out of a hat when the “D” knows our offense is run, run, pass, punt. Pretty easy to defend really. The offensive coaches can’t work miracles.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:05 am
I don't believe this to be true. Clemons has made a couple nice throws in his time last year and many terrible throws. In the spring game, Clemons looked like the clear 3rd stringer to me behind Peasley and Svoboda.
really? Clemons has been far and away the best QB each spring game
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 6:52 am
I believe Svoboda is pushing Peasley. Bohl has sung Svoboda's praises all Spring and he was clearly at least the #2 guy at the end of Spring (Clemons got no snaps with the #1 offense while Svoboda played for both teams in the scrimmage). Anyone that watched that Svoboda laser of a throw in the wind knows he is the more talented passer. Clemons is clearly not the answer.

But we all know (barring injury) that Peasley will be the starter come fall. However, I think his leash might be shorter than QBs have seen in previous years. This reminds me a lot of the Cam Coffman/Josh Allen situation.
Bohl is using voodoo psychology making Peasley think he needs to worry, with singing Svoboda’s praise, which we all know Peasley has nothing to worry about.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 10:23 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 9:35 am

really? Clemons has been far and away the best QB each spring game
Other than not throwing an interception, Clemons was very underwhelming in the spring game IMO. I saw no flashes that would suggest anything other than a potential backup level talent. I guess to his credit, he played with mostly walk-on running backs and receivers and perhaps there was no real ability to throw the ball down the field and show what he has.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

There's not a fbs-caliber qb on the roster, so it doesn't really matter. I'm almost starting to think Bohl likes it that way so he won't feel pressured to pass more.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:26 am There's not a fbs-caliber qb on the roster, so it doesn't really matter. I'm almost starting to think Bohl likes it that way so he won't feel pressured to pass more.
Svoboda's arm strength looked to be NFL caliber. He threw an absolute laser on one of the throws. To make the conclusion that he isn't FBS caliber without ever having appeared in a real game seems to be quite the stretch. Would you have said the same thing about Josh Allen before he appeared in a game at Wyoming?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:26 am There's not a fbs-caliber qb on the roster, so it doesn't really matter. I'm almost starting to think Bohl likes it that way so he won't feel pressured to pass more.
Svoboda's arm strength looked to be NFL caliber. He threw an absolute laser on one of the throws. To make the conclusion that he isn't FBS caliber without ever having appeared in a real game seems to be quite the stretch. Would you have said the same thing about Josh Allen before he appeared in a game at Wyoming?
Well, I guess we'll see soon enough. If you're right, he'll see the field this year. Legit NFL talent should easily overtake Peas.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 11:56 am

Well, I guess we'll see soon enough. If you're right, he'll see the field this year. Legit NFL talent should easily overtake Peas.
An NFL arm in terms of strength. Whether he has other abilities remains to be seen.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:42 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm

An NFL arm in terms of strength. Whether he has other abilities remains to be seen.
Even if he has fbs starter-level talent, 1 of 2 things will happen. 1 he overtakes Peas or 2 Bohl is a bad coach that can't recognize superior talent.

Of course, the other option exists that we don't have a fbs-level qb on the roster and Peas is the best of the group.

If Peas starts and remains the starter, you'll be hard pressed to convince me that #2 above is the reason. I'm betting whoever plays will struggle to even reach 55% completions and 190+ yards a game.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:30 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 12:42 pm
I'm betting whoever plays will struggle to even reach 55% completions and 190+ yards a game.
Truer words have never been written
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 1:30 pm

I'm betting whoever plays will struggle to even reach 55% completions and 190+ yards a game.
Truer words have never been written
It reminds me of the story about how Dean Smith was the only person ever who was able to keep Michael Jordan from scoring.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I don’t think we will average 200 yards passing. Sadly 150 yards per game would be a big improvement. Could of won two more games with that stat. I do think there will be more big pass plays yardage wise due to the tight ends

If you added one more field goal per game we would have out scored the opponents average of scores. I think getting to 26 points per game is possible with our kicker if we get get 2 more big pass plays per game.

And I am not a Craig Bohl apologist. His system sucks and he should have won a championship with the talent on the 2016 team. The lack of passing game is systemic and it is his system.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

I think you’d ride Peas if some other aspect was holding the offense back. Say, the offensive line and pass protection. Improve on that and you might expect QB play to improve. I just don’t see that being the problem and rolling out the same guy whose ceiling isnt much higher than what we’ve seen isn’t going to win championships. Bohl praised Svoboda last year and I swear he was #2 until the year started. There is 100% Peas is opening day started even if Svoboda has a great fall.
W-Y, Until I Die!