At what point do we start to ask questions about Linder?

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

When the three Cali kids left - I knew it was a "them" problem.

When Barnhart and Reynolds left - I thought it was a "them" problem.

With Oden leaving - I am starting to wonder if there is a Linder problem.

I get that it is Linder's show and the players have to meet his expectations to play in his program. But where there is smoke, there is usually fire. We can pass this off as kids that just don't know how to work or play for a disciplinarian...but this is bordering on ridiculous.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm When the three Cali kids left - I knew it was a "them" problem.

I get that it is Linder's show and the players have to meet his expectations to play in his program. But where there is smoke, there is usually fire. We can pass this off as kids that just don't know how to work or play for a disciplinarian...but this is bordering on ridiculous.
I am starting to think the same thing. I have loved Coach Linder but with Coach Wicks leaving after 3 years when he said this was his dream job is telling when added to all of the players leaving.

Now that I type this out though it seems very similar to the discussion we had on the Wrestling program and the Football program last offseason. Maybe its not the coaches? Not sure there is a quick solution to this problem. Maybe our hiring of disciplinarian coaches needs to change or maybe we wait a few years to see if this portal crap evens itself out? Not sure.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

I hate to agree with this, but you're definitely right about there being plenty of smoke. Wicks leaving is another body on the pile of this awful season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

rich22 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:15 pm
LawPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 3:07 pm When the three Cali kids left - I knew it was a "them" problem.

I am starting to think the same thing. I have loved Coach Linder but with Coach Wicks leaving after 3 years when he said this was his dream job is telling when added to all of the players leaving.

Now that I type this out though it seems very similar to the discussion we had on the Wrestling program and the Football program last offseason. Maybe its not the coaches? Not sure there is a quick solution to this problem. Maybe our hiring of disciplinarian coaches needs to change or maybe we wait a few years to see if this portal crap evens itself out? Not sure.
Three disciplinarian coaches. Bolh apparently changed and had fewer portal issues last year.
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

It’s not like Wicks is taking a lateral or backward move. He has an opportunity to be a head coach. Good for him. Timing isn’t great for us but don’t overreact.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

JFC, Linder is the first HC at Wyoming that's had to deal with the transfer portal and NIL. The landscape of College Athletics has changed. To start dumping this stuff at Linder's door is seriously misguided. NO MW school can afford to start running coaches off after two or three years (as UNLV is learning), and with this being the nascent period for both the portal and NIL, it's going to require more patience than ever to find out what an HC is capable of (or not). Don't let SDPoke talk you onto the ledge...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:15 pm JFC, Linder is the first HC at Wyoming that's had to deal with the transfer portal and NIL. The landscape of College Athletics has changed. To start dumping this stuff at Linder's door is seriously misguided. NO MW school can afford to start running coaches off after two or three years (as UNLV is learning), and with this being the nascent period for both the portal and NIL, it's going to require more patience than ever to find out what an HC is capable of (or not). Don't let SDPoke talk you onto the ledge...
Well said. Last year we were afraid he was going to leave after a winning season. Now his coaching acumen is being questioned. Give him a chance.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Yea - I don't understand the tie of Wicks leaving. He was offered a D1 head coaching job likely with a significant pay increase. Why wouldn't he pursue that?

What will be interesting is if Reynolds and Oden end up at Green Bay with Coach Wicks...pretty close to their hometowns.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:00 pm Yea - I don't understand the tie of Wicks leaving. He was offered a D1 head coaching job likely with a significant pay increase. Why wouldn't he pursue that?

What will be interesting is if Reynolds and Oden end up at Green Bay with Coach Wicks...pretty close to their hometowns.
That would be pretty low of wicks
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 275 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:15 pm JFC, Linder is the first HC at Wyoming that's had to deal with the transfer portal and NIL. The landscape of College Athletics has changed. To start dumping this stuff at Linder's door is seriously misguided. NO MW school can afford to start running coaches off after two or three years (as UNLV is learning), and with this being the nascent period for both the portal and NIL, it's going to require more patience than ever to find out what an HC is capable of (or not). Don't let SDPoke talk you onto the ledge...
A voice of reason. Thank you!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:11 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:00 pm Yea - I don't understand the tie of Wicks leaving. He was offered a D1 head coaching job likely with a significant pay increase. Why wouldn't he pursue that?

That would be pretty low of wicks
It would and I think Wicks has better character than creating a coup. I do think he loves UW and would intend to leave on good terms.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Oden has been in the program 3 years. He's probably looking at the prospects of another losing season and wants out. Understandable. All coaches swing and miss on recruits. I'm not going to judge Linder on who stays or leaves. Let's judge him on wins and losses. On that front, next year has to be better than this year. I don't care if Linder has to recruit a whole new team.

The talent level of this year's team was embarrassing. Terrible shooting, ill advised passes, and ball handling skills of a junior high team. If Linder is a disciplinarian, you sure couldn't see it by the play on the court.
Not only does next year's team have to be better, we need to see some recruits who are promising players for the future. If the bench is cluttered with Nate Barnhart types, then we know the future is very dim.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

Absolutely agree. I don't know Wicks mindset but I have to imagine most college assistant coaches have the ultimate goal of being a head coach.

Someone else said something about why he would leave if Wyo is his dream job. I don't think an assistant at Wyo is the dream job, but maybe being the head guy at Wyo is. In the men's game that is very tough to do without being a head coach first. So while UW-GB might not be the ultimate goal, it puts him one step closer.

Every interaction I had with him was very positive. I think he's a genuinely good person and I wish him luck.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm
Absolutely agree. I don't know Wicks mindset but I have to imagine most college assistant coaches have the ultimate goal of being a head coach.

Someone else said something about why he would leave if Wyo is his dream job. I don't think an assistant at Wyo is the dream job, but maybe being the head guy at Wyo is. In the men's game that is very tough to do without being a head coach first. So while UW-GB might not be the ultimate goal, it puts him one step closer.

Every interaction I had with him was very positive. I think he's a genuinely good person and I wish him luck.
As an FYI Sundance was a HC at Missouri Western. He actually paid his buyout of $15,000 out of his pocket to come to UW.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I don’t see a coach like Linder who has high expectations and wanting guys to not only practice but play hard as the problem. He came in last year and did more than most of us expected. He built a program around Ike and Maldo. Jeffries helped a lot. This was no doubt a difficult year. I stand behind and support him. I think he’s the right guy.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:28 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:08 pm

As an FYI Sundance was a HC at Missouri Western. He actually paid his buyout of $15,000 out of his pocket to come to UW.
Missouri Western is D2. And not even a ‘big’ D2 program. He probably doubled his salary when he came to Wyoming to be an assistant.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:52 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:28 pm

Missouri Western is D2. And not even a ‘big’ D2 program. He probably doubled his salary when he came to Wyoming to be an assistant.
Possibly, I’m just stating he has had the college HC job.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

I remember hearing similar things about Jim Brandenburg when I was attending. He was able to find players that would learn under him at Wyoming and had 3 NCAA trips. He went to San Diego State and failed. I think Linder's style matches the school, he just needs to find the players who he doesn't have to "coach effort." I now have a 15 (almost 16) year old who I am coaching effort to. It is exhausting.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

Cody draws an allegory between Bohl's transfer troubles a year ago and Linder's this year. Speaks a lot to the thread title.

https://7220sports.com/column-when-it-c ... -revealed/
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

It seems bad right now but losing a bunch of guys off the worst team in the league can be a blessing perhaps. Can really turn it around. Looks bad but can’t really judge it until after next season. Bohl exceeded expectations after losing a lot to portal.
W-Y, Until I Die!