Spring Football...

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

What do we expect this year? Will Bohl open up a QB competition? Running back situation and which receivers to we expect to step up?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:22 pm What do we expect this year? Will Bohl open up a QB competition? Running back situation and which receivers to we expect to step up?
1. I expect the same thing I’ve seen for the last 10 years with Bohl. Run, run, pass, punt. Rinse, lather, repeat.
2. No way Bohl opens anything up. Never has before. Never will with QB or any other position or scheme.
3. The dude from NIU is the back until he gets hurt or graduates.
4. We will hear about Tight Ends and this and that receiver. It won’t matter who is wide or in the slot since we have no passing game, which is AOK with CB.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I hate Bohl’s offensive system ( Wyoming should run some form of the spread). Defense is going to be good this year and the WRs that transferred in are decent. We have great RBs.I expect lightning in the bottle any year now ( been waiting a bit).
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

If Bohl does not open up the QB competition (I think he will), then I think it will be a really bad sign. My guess is that we won't know a starter until the first week or two of fall camp. I'm anxious to see Boddie play. He seems like a very versatile player; sort of a smaller (obviously not to the level of) version of Deebo-type of player.

The bigger question is do we get any more portal additions? I haven't kept track of scholarships; how many do we have after signing period?

We also need a thread dedicated for the posts that are as predictable as Bohl's offense. :roll:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:36 pm
WyoVaquero wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:22 pm What do we expect this year? Will Bohl open up a QB competition? Running back situation and which receivers to we expect to step up?
1. I expect the same thing I’ve seen for the last 10 years with Bohl. Run, run, pass, punt. Rinse, lather, repeat.
2. No way Bohl opens anything up. Never has before. Never will with QB or any other position or scheme.
4. We will hear about Tight Ends and this and that receiver. It won’t matter who is wide or in the slot since we have no passing game, which is AOK with CB.
I think the NIU transfer and McNeely will probably split carries.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:14 am
LawPoke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:36 pm

You are right. Forgot about McNeely.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:40 am
You also forgot that the D will be somewhere between steady and nasty. As usual :)
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 10:59 am
You also forgot that the D will be somewhere between steady and nasty. As usual :)
We're gonna need them to be because our offense is going to be awful. As usual. :D
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

marcuswyo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 pm I hate Bohl’s offensive system ( Wyoming should run some form of the spread). Defense is going to be good this year and the WRs that transferred in are decent. We have great RBs.I expect lightning in the bottle any year now ( been waiting a bit).
I know coaches go to and teach a lot of different camps etc. you think Bohl and his coaches ever talk about how their pass game could use a rebuild? Or do you think they know their system and just think they need to teach it better?

I really like Bohls system if we connected on 4-5 more passes a game. I quite enjoy a run heavy game as long as there’s some semblance of play action where you can take advantage of D playing the run. I don’t understand how we don’t have anyone open when we pass on first down out of a run formation.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:05 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 9:05 pm I hate Bohl’s offensive system ( Wyoming should run some form of the spread). Defense is going to be good this year and the WRs that transferred in are decent. We have great RBs.I expect lightning in the bottle any year now ( been waiting a bit).
I know coaches go to and teach a lot of different camps etc. you think Bohl and his coaches ever talk about how their pass game could use a rebuild? Or do you think they know their system and just think they need to teach it better?

I really like Bohls system if we connected on 4-5 more passes a game. I quite enjoy a run heavy game as long as there’s some semblance of play action where you can take advantage of D playing the run. I don’t understand how we don’t have anyone open when we pass on first down out of a run formation.
I remember in the early 1990s when Nebraska was getting boatraced by the Florida schools in the Orange and Fiesta Bowls - Osborne swallowed his pride and he and his defensive coordinator, Charlie McBride, took a trip to Florida in the offseason to learn about recruiting and coaching speed. They went on to win 3 Nattys in 4 years. Saban got thumped using an outdated, run heavy offense and went out and hired coaches to shift to a spread passing game. To win, you have to adapt. Swallow your pride and adapt.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Bohl doesn’t have to abandon the run. He doesn’t even have to abandon the run if he ran the spread. Utah’s system when Brian Johnson was there would be great and it complimented a system that had defense as a priority.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Why would we not use our most explosive player DQ James? DQ should be getting half the snaps IMO.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

laxwyo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:05 pm

I would love to be a fly on the wall in the coaches’ meeting room
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

DQ could very well be the starter.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:05 pm DQ could very well be the starter.
Unless Bohl opens up the offense on first downs, whoever the starter is will seeing lots of 8 or even 9 man fronts. Coaches watch film and see what works on defense against Wyoming. the last time Wyoming won because of its passing game was when Neyor was able make both Williams and Chambers look like they were a lot better passers than they really were. Last years a presumably better passer in Peasley consistently was in 2d and 3rd and longs because of Wyoming trying to run against stacked boxes on first and second down.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:33 pm
Why would we not use our most explosive player DQ James? DQ should be getting half the snaps IMO.
You would. Forgot about him.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

DQ should become a slot receiver.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 34 times
Been liked: 101 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am DQ should become a slot receiver.
I could see using him in the slot occassionally, but he is TINY. DQ is 5'7", 170 lbs. Dude is fast and shifty, but not built to take the hits you take as a slot receiver. Also taking into account that the average DB in FBS is 5'11", that means you have to be an absolutely spectacular route runner to make it as a short slot receiver.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:44 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:38 am DQ should become a slot receiver.
I could see using him in the slot occasionally, but he is TINY. DQ is 5'7", 170 lbs. Dude is fast and shifty, but not built to take the hits you take as a slot receiver. Also taking into account that the average DB in FBS is 5'11", that means you have to be an absolutely spectacular route runner to make it as a short slot receiver.
Darren Sproles, Wes Welker, Danny Amendola, Cole Beasley, Isaiah McKenzie, Tyreke Hill are all short like DQ. IMO DQ is built to be, an has the skills to be a devastating slot receiver. Can you imagine literally anyone trying to guard him on a route?

I don't think the punishment of a slot receiver is any worse than that of a running back. Probably less, I'd say. As a RB, DQ suffered two injuries last year that caused him to miss games. I have doubts about his durability at RB
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

DQ should be getting touches as a runner and we should be game planning how to use him in pass game
W-Y, Until I Die!