Bad News

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:55 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:37 pm

Wow, this is very vague but certainly concerning.
It's also chicken sh-t. Either provide a general explanation or don't bring it up at all. IF anything comes out, it doesn't make you look like the cool inside guy, it makes you look like part of the problem.
Not enough here to make me doubt Linder. I may have to eat my words. I don’t think so, or Maldo would be gone. He has nothing to stay for. The guys who have stayed tell me this isn’t accurate. I’ll take the unspoken words from Maldo, Wenzel, Dusell, etc, over hearsay. I’ve heard nothing from Maldo except how much he respects “coach” and stayed for future of the program. That tells me everything I need to know.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:10 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:15 pm

The replies are about equal in supporting kids/Linder, and the writer confirms they were asked to leave. Some elude to just wasn’t the right fit, which I agree and believe Linder is making room for others who will be a good fit.

If this is representative to the extent of damage towards Linder/Wyoming, the damage is minimal if any in my opinion.
They were not asked to leave. They left on their own accord. Heard they planned to just not show up for a game having not told anyone. Super high character from the three quitters
Based on what Thornburg reported, they were dismissed from the program.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:21 pm
They were not asked to leave. They left on their own accord. Heard they planned to just not show up for a game having not told anyone. Super high character from the three quitters
That is a technicality that oredigger went over above
wyo 1
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 4 times

Based on what Tucker reported, they left on their own.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

wyo 1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:36 pm

Below, from Ryan Thornburgs reporting, doesn’t really matter to me. I do believe Linder dismissed them, but whatever……

“ Anderson and Agbonkpolo have not transferred out of Wyoming. They were dismissed from the program on Tuesday — not for any scandalous behavior or unwelcome incident, but simply because Wyoming coach Jeff Linder didn’t like how they were playing. This was an unhappy collaboration between a coach and new players. The arrangement is over, as reported by Ryan Thorburn of the Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune:”
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 pm
wyo 1 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:36 pm

Below, from Ryan Thornburgs reporting, doesn’t really matter to me. I do believe Linder dismissed them, but whatever……

“ Anderson and Agbonkpolo have not transferred out of Wyoming. They were dismissed from the program on Tuesday — not for any scandalous behavior or unwelcome incident, but simply because Wyoming coach Jeff Linder didn’t like how they were playing. This was an unhappy collaboration between a coach and new players. The arrangement is over, as reported by Ryan Thorburn of the Casper (Wyo.) Star-Tribune:”
Which makes sense that Thornburg would report this because this is the 'official' Wyoming stance. It is probable that Linder was going to 'dismiss' the players at the end of the season. But instead, the transfer players appear to have abandoned their teammates mid-season with 8 games left. If true, that puts the transfer players in a bad spot because they then would have 'quit' versus having been 'dismissed' and thus likely would not qualify for an NCAA additional transfer waiver (and their NCAA careers are over).

Potential Solution to Potential Conundrum - University agrees to take the stance that the players were dismissed mid-season for no reason other than poor performance and the players agree not to publicly trash the program. A quid pro quo to give both sides something. Strange that the players have refrained from releasing their own statements isn't it?!?

Now this is all conjecture but to me it makes the most sense based on the different media reports.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 7:55 pm

It's also chicken sh-t. Either provide a general explanation or don't bring it up at all. IF anything comes out, it doesn't make you look like the cool inside guy, it makes you look like part of the problem.
#StuckBusFight
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:00 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:59 pm

Which makes sense that Thornburg would report this because this is the 'official' Wyoming stance. It is probable that Linder was going to 'dismiss' the players at the end of the season. But instead, the transfer players appear to have abandoned their teammates mid-season with 8 games left. If true, that puts the transfer players in a bad spot because they then would have 'quit' versus having been 'dismissed' and thus likely would not qualify for an NCAA additional transfer waiver (and their NCAA careers are over).

Potential Solution to Potential Conundrum - University agrees to take the stance that the players were dismissed mid-season for no reason other than poor performance and the players agree not to publicly trash the program. A quid pro quo to give both sides something. Strange that the players have refrained from releasing their own statements isn't it?!?

Now this is all conjecture but to me it makes the most sense based on the different media reports.
This makes sense to me. There is just no way that a coach would essentially cut 3 players on an already thin team with 10 games (give or take) left in the season. Even if the coach is a complete asshole and has every intention of cutting them after the season, getting rid of them midseason and leaving him with only 7 or 8 players would be the epitome of stupid. That just opens up the risk of injury, not to mention the obvious negativity it would give the school in recruiting.

Either they quit or did something stupid enough to be kicked off, IMO being cut for performance reasons is an absolutely idiotic assertion by people that either A) don't know how these things really work or B) are trying to get sympathy from people that don't know how these things work.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Starting to look like addition by subtraction...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
NowherePoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

wyosports wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:26 pm As much as we all would like to see this go away, I think there will be more to come out after the season. There was an incident after one of our road games and it has people who are aware of it questioning the character of our coach and the program. Because of this incident, people are giving the players the benefit of the doubt. UW has never commented on this, or made it public, and I don't expect them to until it becomes so. It is just speculation on my part, but I would be shocked if the individual involved does not make it public after the season.
Not at all. It’s fairly obvious that “wyosports” is someone tied to those three in some way.

I am not sure which is weaker, attempted to damage the program on the way out or thinking a message board is a useful place to do it. I may not be in tune with teenage culture, but pretty sure recruits aren’t hanging out on Wyonation.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:25 pm Starting to look like addition by subtraction...
I think when it all shakes out that is about what this will end up being. It's a sunk cost issue.

With a healthy and dominant Graham Ike....the team has an identity. Without that, the influence/effect of the three newcomers was just not working. IF they had been really good, this changes and the team gets re-made in a sense with them at the center but ...they aren't that good. I have absolutely zero inside information but I imagine Linder saw this writing on the wall a long time ago and couldn't keep "faking" it. The season was a lost cause a long time ago. Maybe Wyo bball could have saved itself some social media and reputational damage by pushing this mess to the offseason when it would have been less charged.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:48 am
Wyovanian wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:25 pm Starting to look like addition by subtraction...
I think when it all shakes out that is about what this will end up being. It's a sunk cost issue.

With a healthy and dominant Graham Ike....the team has an identity. Without that, the influence/effect of the three newcomers was just not working. IF they had been really good, this changes and the team gets re-made in a sense with them at the center but ...they aren't that good. I have absolutely zero inside information but I imagine Linder saw this writing on the wall a long time ago and couldn't keep "faking" it. The season was a lost cause a long time ago. Maybe Wyo bball could have saved itself some social media and reputational damage by pushing this mess to the offseason when it would have been less charged.
I suppose they could have just provided no explanation for the players leaving and just acted like nothing changed. Maybe even if found some other dudes to sit in the bench.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:44 am
307bball wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:48 am

I suppose they could have just provided no explanation for the players leaving and just acted like nothing changed. Maybe even if found some other dudes to sit in the bench.
This made me laugh :D Imagined some cardboard cutouts or mannequins on the bench...lol!

In seriousness though...by pushing the mess to the offseason I meant not dismissing them...Linder's had was probably forced though.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

Oh, to be a fly on the wall somewhere where the three transfers may have seen us win at The Pit without them...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:48 am Oh, to be a fly on the wall somewhere where the three transfers may have seen us win at The Pit without them...
To be honest, I'm not sure some of them realize that the point of basketball is for the team to win games rather than what one's own stat sheet says. Because of where our seats are, we are often looking directly at the Wyoming bench. I can't say that I ever saw Max congratulate or encourage a teammate other than the obligatory high five when a player subbed in or out. Maybe they cared but I never saw it.

On that topic - I've never met Barnhart but by the way he encourages teammates (whether he plays or not), I bet he is one terrific dude. The kind of friend everyone would love.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:54 am
Wyovanian wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:48 am Oh, to be a fly on the wall somewhere where the three transfers may have seen us win at The Pit without them...
To be honest, I'm not sure some of them realize that the point of basketball is for the team to win games rather than what one's own stat sheet says. Because of where our seats are, we are often looking directly at the Wyoming bench. I can't say that I ever saw Max congratulate or encourage a teammate other than the obligatory high five when a player subbed in or out. Maybe they cared but I never saw it.

On that topic - I've never met Barnhart but by the way he encourages teammates (whether he plays or not), I bet he is one terrific dude. The kind of friend everyone would love.
This was evident during football. Saw Maldo and Barnhart throwing a football outside the IPF, stopped and got a picture with my sons and Maldo. Then saw them go up in the stands and watch the game, supporting the Pokes football team with Wenzel and a few other BB players. Didn’t see any of them…….
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:42 pm https://7220sports.com/podcast/popup/?i ... ype=player

This is worth a listen.
Thanks. From Cody - "They left...every single source said they left."

That should put the debate to end. Linder apparently said "If you aren't doing what I am asking you to do, you are not going to play. If you don't like it, pack your bags and leave."

Based on this - - bottom line is that they quit on their teammates before season's end. Having been involved/coached sports my whole life, I don't want quitters on my team. Don't like the coach, fine...leave after the season...but there is no excuse for quitters.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

https://trib.com/sports/college/wyoming ... -top-story

Highlights:
-Thorburn contradicts his prior articles and now states it was the collective decision of the portal players to leave.
-Thorburn calls the portal players leaving ‘addition by subtraction.’
-Maldo states the portal players leaving has helped the team because the players still here have chemistry.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

It is because the media can’t tell the whole story, or they won’t work for the university or get interviews in the future. The honest members of the media don’t know what to say.