Apathy and Malaise is Setting In

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

It appears that fans have lost any drive to care about the Pokes these days. Between basketball being a massive disappointment and football being the posterchild for the word "meh" (understanding that we are squarely in the off-season), I'd say things are set to go swimmingly for fundraising, ticket sales, CJC memberships, etc.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Based on what?
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:53 pm Based on what?
How dead this board is...for one.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:57 pm
Yeah. Not much to report on football wise. Year 10 or whatever it is of this regime, with limited access to the program, produces excitement like this.Also, I think bball sucking has taken the wind out of the sails of the fan base. Wrestling sucks almost as bad as bball. Poke fans still waiting for a championship...
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:29 pm

Yeah. Not much to report on football wise. Year 10 or whatever it is of this regime, with limited access to the program, produces excitement like this.Also, I think bball sucking has taken the wind out of the sails of the fan base. Wrestling sucks almost as bad as bball. Poke fans still waiting for a championship...
But on the bright side, women's soccer almost won the MW Tournament. :roll: That's been the ONLY real bright spot in UW athletics this year (2022-23).
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:26 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:29 pm
But on the bright side, women's soccer almost won the MW Tournament. :roll: That's been the ONLY real bright spot in UW athletics this year (2022-23).
Women's bball having a decent year. Maybe they will make noise in the MWCT like two(?) years ago.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:32 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:26 pm

Women's bball having a decent year. Maybe they will make noise in the MWCT like two(?) years ago.
Oops. Forgot about them. :oops:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

poop post.

9/2/23 - Texas Tech vs. WYO - I predict a sellout, or damn close to it.

2023 - 2024 Hoops - when Ike returns to WYO basketball - I predict a 25+ win season and the best attendance in the AA since the early 2000's.

If it weren't for Welniak, CJC would have a record donor year this year (and every year thereafter).
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

I am glad you brought this up. I hate to agree with you but I have no choice. It's almost like the football program has disappeared these days. There is no juice whatsoever. The basketball team sucks eggs and that ship has sailed for this season. When you are hanging your hat on 2 programs nobody cares a thing about, women's basketball and soccer that should really tell you how dire things have become. And yes this board has flatlined.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

LawPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:38 pm It appears that fans have lost any drive to care about the Pokes these days. Between basketball being a massive disappointment and football being the posterchild for the word "meh" (understanding that we are squarely in the off-season), I'd say things are set to go swimmingly for fundraising, ticket sales, CJC memberships, etc.
Is there a point to this or are you just bitching again?
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:37 pm poop post.

2023 - 2024 Hoops - when Ike returns to WYO basketball - I predict a 25+ win season and the best attendance in the AA since the early 2000's.

If it weren't for Welniak, CJC would have a record donor year this year (and every year thereafter).
I wish I shared your optimism about bball. Ugo was never the same after his injury. Hoping Ike can overcome his.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Agree. There will be many, many , many fans for football next year. Bohl is the attendance king of UW according to historical numbers. It’s not like the fans have disappeared from earth. 7k showed up to watch a last place bball team last week. Poke fans just need an excuse get excited. We’re waiting
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 14 times

I think this board has flatlined because people prefer commenting on sports using twitter and facebook. These message boards are dinosaurs. However, I still like to visit them from time to time.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

flyfishwyo wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:26 am
LawPoke wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 12:38 pm It appears that fans have lost any drive to care about the Pokes these days. Between basketball being a massive disappointment and football being the posterchild for the word "meh" (understanding that we are squarely in the off-season), I'd say things are set to go swimmingly for fundraising, ticket sales, CJC memberships, etc.
Is there a point to this or are you just bitching again?
This is a WYoming message board.

This is an observation relevant to WYoming sports.

The point is that the general suckitude is leading to fan apathy.

I think apathy is bad and needs to be addressed. Yet we see nothing from CJC. We see nothing in terms of changing the trajectory of our bellcow programs. We see nothing in the way of new initiatives. We see nothing to signal that anything other than what the department and CJC have done since 1970 is on the table. Meanwhile, the world shifts beneath our feet. For folks that hate the idea of going FCS, we are sure content ensuring that as our only avenue forward.

But back to polishing the brown and gold glasses and funneling smoke and sunshine. All is well. We are fine. Nothing needs to change. Double down on koolaid.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

Had the transfer portal been worse - you would have seen it posted on here. A couple of tough losses to the portal, not nearly as bad as I expected.

That’s actually a good thing.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

I actually have a gut feeling about this, hope I’m wrong. Not sure we see many of the same players including Ike. Hope I’m wrong, but I said Swen was gone before he made it public. It was a gut feeling, I wasn’t wrong.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 1:41 pm

Had the transfer portal been worse - you would have seen it posted on here. A couple of tough losses to the portal, not nearly as bad as I expected.

That’s actually a good thing.
This is a good thing. A pleasant surprise. Maybe things are stabilizing. I think the 5th COVID year threw things off for a lot of schools, including WY. Now with several years of players getting trapped in the portal and chemistry issues playing out with portal players, I’m thinking we will see some slowing in the mid-tier portal activity. Not necessarily for top-tier players, but for most others.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

If we don’t sell out TT, the Department has failed.

In terms of Ike, if he comes back (I think he will), you might be right. Even so, we are learning that we have a lot of issues that we are going to have to address. I suspect there will be a significant roster change next season. Linder learned a lot this year.

CJC needs major changes. The board is stagnant and so is the staff.

Between Grant at WR coach, a 1970 vintage CJC, a useless NIL program and a main campus that is blah, we have challenges. If we own and face these issues, we have a shot at being something. We shall see.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:02 pm I am glad you brought this up. I hate to agree with you but I have no choice. It's almost like the football program has disappeared these days. There is no juice whatsoever. The basketball team sucks eggs and that ship has sailed for this season. When you are hanging your hat on 2 programs nobody cares a thing about, women's basketball and soccer that should really tell you how dire things have become. And yes this board has flatlined.
The lul on the board is holidays, NFL playoffs, not much of a loss in the football portal, nasty winter so far, life…….and unfortunately a bunch of injuries afflicting MBB. I actually disagree with you about WBB and soccer. But nonetheless, fans (real fans) will be in full force at The War next fall. You want to place a wager??? Doesn’t have to be much, but, the fans will show up.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Nobody cares about women's soccer or women's basketball. They wouldn't even exist if not carried by the $ the FB and BB program generates, mostly football. Those 2 programs could go away tomorrow and hardly anyone would notice. Yes the fans will return next fall for football and the TT game will come close to a SO but I think they'll probably fall about 3-4K short of the goal. Holidays are over. It's almost February. Mike Grant is still on the coaching staff and the OC remains the same. Go Pokes.