Gator Collective

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Did you read about the Gator Collective and Rashada? Another great fallout from the NIL stuff.

It did make me wonder, what would something like that at WYO look like? I'm guessing we couldn't generate enough to really make a difference. Maybe something like this already exists at WYO?

https://gatorcollective.com/
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

It's professional sports now
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am Did you read about the Gator Collective and Rashada? Another great fallout from the NIL stuff.

It did make me wonder, what would something like that at WYO look like? I'm guessing we couldn't generate enough to really make a difference. Maybe something like this already exists at WYO?

The 59th best HS prospect and 7th best QB prospect is now signing deals for $13 million over 4 years. Roughly 2.5 times the amount that our head coach is paid. That is set for life money. The 7th best QB prospect in the NFL draft would be lucky to get that. I've said for the past 2 years, Wyoming needs to stay out of this arm's race. What a waste of money. I'd rather drop college sports than seeing college athletes making millions here personally (not that we have the market or money to sustain that anyways).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

What idiots are putting up the money to accomplish something like this and why?
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:40 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 10:31 am Did you read about the Gator Collective and Rashada? Another great fallout from the NIL stuff.

The 59th best HS prospect and 7th best QB prospect is now signing deals for $13 million over 4 years. Roughly 2.5 times the amount that our head coach is paid. That is set for life money. The 7th best QB prospect in the NFL draft would be lucky to get that. I've said for the past 2 years, Wyoming needs to stay out of this arm's race. What a waste of money. I'd rather drop college sports than seeing college athletes making millions here personally (not that we have the market or money to sustain that anyways).
It's crazy even compared to NFL salaries. The Annual Average Value of that deal ($3.25M) would put him just outside the top 400 NFL players in pay. That's in the top 25% of players on active rosters. It makes no sense.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Montana and Montana State have something like this, NDSU does some sort of comp thing to all of its athletes.
ImageImageImageImage
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:09 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 11:40 am

It's crazy even compared to NFL salaries. The Annual Average Value of that deal ($3.25M) would put him just outside the top 400 NFL players in pay. That's in the top 25% of players on active rosters. It makes no sense.
That's more than twice as much as the AAV of the #59 pick in last years' draft ($1.5M). Insane numbers.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:01 pm What idiots are putting up the money to accomplish something like this and why?
The idiots that believe that their college should be going to the college football playoff and should do everything possible to make that happen. The idiots that believe they need to attract the top transfer portal QBs to their program rather than the Peasleys of the world.

Personally, rather than seeing that kind of money in an 18 year old entitled kid's pocket to blow...I'd rather see it invested in education and invested in bonuses to incentivize the best and brightest students and young professionals to stay, live and work in wyoming.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:37 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:01 pm What idiots are putting up the money to accomplish something like this and why?
The idiots that believe that their college should be going to the college football playoff and should do everything possible to make that happen. The idiots that believe they need to attract the top transfer portal QBs to their program rather than the Peasleys of the world.

Personally, rather than seeing that kind of money in an 18 year old entitled kid's pocket to blow...I'd rather see it invested in education and invested in bonuses to incentivize the best and brightest students and young professionals to stay, live and work in wyoming.
I think that is what everyone with half a brain would want. But the story is about the football crazy SEC and even more to the point------- all-round crazy Florida.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

doreno5 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 2:56 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:37 pm

I think that is what everyone with half a brain would want. But the story is about the football crazy SEC and even more to the point------- all-round crazy Florida.
Burying your head in the sand - this isn't just the SEC, this is a pretty large contingent of the P5 throwing around these ridiculous dollars right now. You just usually don't see the actual numbers because NIL collectives put in confidentiality clauses into the agreements with the players. In this case, there is an allegation of breach of contract and a potential suit against the collective and University for reneging on the agreement and failing to pay the agreed up amount.

If you want to attract and keep top end talent, you have to pay-up. Same as the job world. I just personally don't want Wyoming to be any part of this nonsense. So much better uses of the money.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:25 pm So much better uses of the money.
I doubt much of that money is available for other uses. In other words, I'm betting the other contributions have remained constant. The NIL stuff is new money and wouldn't be there otherwise.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:37 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:25 pm So much better uses of the money.
I doubt much of that money is available for other uses. In other words, I'm betting the other contributions have remained constant. The NIL stuff is new money and wouldn't be there otherwise.
At a school like Wyoming, the NIL money would be coming from the same sources who already donate to our academic and athletic programs. There is no market here for some type of big business that has long remained on the sidelines now looking to capitalize on the athletes here. The market just doesn't exist.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

MrTitleist wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:13 pm

Montana and Montana State have something like this, NDSU does some sort of comp thing to all of its athletes.
Interesting. I wonder how many mwc teams have this going?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Say you make every CJC donor pay $100 more. What kind of "talent" could we buy?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:40 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:37 pm

At a school like Wyoming, the NIL money would be coming from the same sources who already donate to our academic and athletic programs. There is no market here for some type of big business that has long remained on the sidelines now looking to capitalize on the athletes here. The market just doesn't exist.
I don't disagree which is why I guessed we couldn't do much at WYO. I meant for the bigger schools.

I do wonder about donor psychology, though. If they know they are buying a qb, they know it should directly impact football without title ix considerations. That direct mechanism may be more appealing than donating to support a university bureaucracy. I'm not advocating; just thinking about the impacts and perceptions of all this. It's mind boggling.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 pm Say you make every CJC donor pay $100 more. What kind of "talent" could we buy?
Pretty easy math. There's 5000 CJC members roughly. At $100 each, that is $500,000. That probably doesn't pay for a single player in the top 100 nationwide football recruits.

A much better investment of $500,000 would be 31,250 Coors Light 12 packs at about $16 each. Give free beer for any member showing up to any athletic event. Cross-County meet here I come!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:52 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:42 pm Say you make every CJC donor pay $100 more. What kind of "talent" could we buy?
Pretty easy math. There's 5000 CJC members roughly. At $100 each, that is $500,000. That probably doesn't pay for a single player in the top 100 nationwide football recruits.

A much better investment of $500,000 would be 31,250 Coors Light 12 packs at about $16 each. Give free beer for any member showing up to any athletic event. Cross-County meet here I come!
Well, yeah, I assumed we wouldn't be able to afford any top level players, but what does, say, a backup LB from Iowa get? Or the fourth leading receiver from texas tech? These are the types that we need to try to lure away.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:15 pm

Well, yeah, I assumed we wouldn't be able to afford any top level players, but what does, say, a backup LB from Iowa get? Or the fourth leading receiver from texas tech? These are the types that we need to try to lure away.
To put together a roster of bench players from lower P5 schools? Why? Does Texas Tech have a bench that is better than our starters? Does Texas Tech's backups beat our starters?

As an FYI - every Texas Tech player receives a minimum of $25,000 NIL.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Is that level of player a significant upgrade to our guys? I would have figured that was about the level of our players already.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:54 pm
Is that level of player a significant upgrade to our guys? I would have figured that was about the level of our players already.
Me too. If Texas Tech's backups are better than our starters, then we are going to be steamrolled.