Remainder of Season Outlook

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Z-money wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:37 pm I watch the Pokes every year. I know I am seeing things from the perspective of having crazy high preseason expectations, but this feels like one of the worst years in recent memory. At this point in the season we're doing as bad as the last year of Edwards' tenure (when we went on the short MWC tourney run in 2020). Having this bad of a non-conference season isn't like us, even in off years. It's a bad year. It's over. All I care about at this point is that I hope we don't lose any dudes to the portal.
We wouldn’t miss most of them I’m afraid.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Z-money wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:51 pm
Subcanis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 pm 8 straight.

There’s more than injuries/illness at play.
This is pretty much my opinion. We have played poorly all year. The injuries seem to blame, but the pokes have been losing games that they should win since like the 3rd game of the season. Very frustrating. This was supposed to be the year where we could *afford* to lose people because we were finally deep. For the first time I can remember. That’s not how it worked out
Yup. I went to the SLU game. It was pretty obvious there were deeper issues than just missing Ike.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Z-money wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:51 pm
Subcanis wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:54 pm 8 straight.

There’s more than injuries/illness at play.
This is pretty much my opinion. We have played poorly all year. The injuries seem to blame, but the pokes have been losing games that they should win since like the 3rd game of the season. Very frustrating. This was supposed to be the year where we could *afford* to lose people because we were finally deep. For the first time I can remember. That’s not how it worked out
Stagnant offense, no defense, no inside presence. Issues run very deep.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

I don't follow bball too closely but have caught some of the games. This WYO team is tough to watch. So disappointing!
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

For me - the last few years of Allen Edwards' teams was the darkest time for Wyoming basketball. Now I am wondering if we can even match the wins from those years:

2016–17 Wyoming 23–15 8–10 7th CBI Champion
2017–18 Wyoming 20–13 10–8 6th
2018–19 Wyoming 8–24 4–14 10th
2019–20 Wyoming 9–24 2–16 11th
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:09 pm For me - the last few years of Allen Edwards' teams was the darkest time for Wyoming basketball. Now I am wondering if we can even match the wins from those years:

2016–17 Wyoming 23–15 8–10 7th CBI Champion
2017–18 Wyoming 20–13 10–8 6th
2018–19 Wyoming 8–24 4–14 10th
2019–20 Wyoming 9–24 2–16 11th
I certainly tend to agree. I would throw in the Heath Schroyer era. We were constantly last or next to last and we lost the MWC tournament play in game every year but one.

I had every confidence in Linder that he would adjust after losing Ike and keep this team competitive. Was I wrong.
It appears the California transfers are not game changers. Drake Jeffries was far more important than I realized. Without Ike and Jeffries, Maldanoado is completely ineffective. We saw some of it when he had turnover problems at the end of last year. The offense just stagnates when he has the ball.
I never thought I'd say this but we could go winless in the conference this year.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Injuries sure have taken their toll, hoping we can see true energy against the sheeeep on Saturday??? Not lots to cheer for except what always Sucks???
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

This is the first time in many years that I don't watch the game after I get the tip off notification. Ike was a big part of the team and losing him hurts but I'm not sure how many more games we'd win with him here. This team just looks bad. Odd considering Reynolds huge leap and what we'd thought Maldo would do.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:13 am This is the first time in many years that I don't watch the game after I get the tip off notification. Ike was a big part of the team and losing him hurts but I'm not sure how many more games we'd win with him here. This team just looks bad. Odd considering Reynolds huge leap and what we'd thought Maldo would do.
It's starting to feel like there's something fundamentally wrong on this team.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyovanian wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 1:15 pm
laxwyo wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:13 am This is the first time in many years that I don't watch the game after I get the tip off notification. Ike was a big part of the team and losing him hurts but I'm not sure how many more games we'd win with him here. This team just looks bad. Odd considering Reynolds huge leap and what we'd thought Maldo would do.
It is worth asking if the CA transfers (and longtime friends) impacted team chemistry. I can see DuSell thinking, hey, I’ve worked my butt off and gave this program everything I’ve had, performed well, and now you bring in these guys from other schools to eat into minutes. I’d be curious what kind of off court chemistry the transfers have with the rest of the team.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Starting to?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

Subcanis wrote: Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:49 am

Starting to?
I suppose I'm trying to give Linder the benefit of the doubt here, because fundamental team issues is a buck that stops at the head coach.

I'd say OreDigger's question raises a plausible scenario. Another would be what is the quality and nature of the coaching staff's relationship(s) with the individuals, the team as a whole, and any cliques within?
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:50 am At this point I think I'll predict we get one win at home in the remaining games and lose all the rest and we finish with a new record for lowest win total in a season.

One thing that is extra frustrating about this is I believe it's at least a 2 more year setback. Even if we keep all the core pieces of the team, drop the dead weight off the team, everybody's healthy next season, and we bounce back, we are bound to have a terrible non-conference schedule in terms of quality. No one will want to schedule us after this terrible year and I doubt we get any sort of decent non-conference tourny unless it was already previously committed before this season. It's pretty much guaranteed to tank recruiting as well. So unfortunately I think we are at least 2 years a way from really recovering from this year and that's assuming that we do recover some next year
Well we got the one win. Would it be too much to ask to get at least 3 more to not tie or set a new season low? Maybe even 4 more to get to double digits?
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 7 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 9:48 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 8:50 am At this point I think I'll predict we get one win at home in the remaining games and lose all the rest and we finish with a new record for lowest win total in a season.

One thing that is extra frustrating about this is I believe it's at least a 2 more year setback. Even if we keep all the core pieces of the team, drop the dead weight off the team, everybody's healthy next season, and we bounce back, we are bound to have a terrible non-conference schedule in terms of quality. No one will want to schedule us after this terrible year and I doubt we get any sort of decent non-conference tourny unless it was already previously committed before this season. It's pretty much guaranteed to tank recruiting as well. So unfortunately I think we are at least 2 years a way from really recovering from this year and that's assuming that we do recover some next year
Well we got the one win. Would it be too much to ask to get at least 3 more to not tie or set a new season low? Maybe even 4 more to get to double digits?
Fresno, at San Jose, and Air Force? Hopefully UNLV also? It's going to be close I'm afraid.
Vancopoke
Buckaroo
Been liked: 1 time

Other than the transfers, who is considered dead weight? Thought we had a solid team but man, was I wrong.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Vancopoke wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 pm Other than the transfers, who is considered dead weight? Thought we had a solid team but man, was I wrong.
All college teams have some "dead weight" as you put it. Here is how I look at it:

-Take the top two guys on each conference team member (besides the team being analyzed...in this case the cowboys) giving us 22 players.
-How many guys, if any, on Wyoming's team are better than guys on that list.

I think Hunter M would get on that list...somewhere. Reynolds? Maybe...but other than that...not a lot of difference makers. I like some of Ethan Anderson's game but a guard that really can't shoot is ultimately limited. The top MWC teams will have three players that would get on that list and an argument for a fourth. Look at the best team during the Shyatt era...you had Nance, Adams for sure and Cooke and Riley Grabau right there. If you don't have better top guys than the rest of the conference...you just aren't going to go far. This team has like 1.5 top guys....depending on the night. It's not a talented team.
johnywyo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

The book on Linder was that he was great judge of evaluating talent. Also a student of the European game, this is what is totally confusing, as this years team has regressed horribly. I was also wondering where Seattle Cowboy, if that’s what his moniker was has not chimed in at all this season. He seemed to think like many here and in the press that this team was set for some terrific competition. It’s obvious from Linder’s remarks as the season has progressed that this team he has put together has enough juice to play ball, but they seem to not want to win bad enough. I’m simply trying to make sense of this disaster of the season as it has evolved this year.
At the molecular level all mankind is a brilliant super-nova.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict

johnywyo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm The book on Linder was that he was great judge of evaluating talent. Also a student of the European game, this is what is totally confusing, as this years team has regressed horribly. I was also wondering where Seattle Cowboy, if that’s what his moniker was has not chimed in at all this season. He seemed to think like many here and in the press that this team was set for some terrific competition. It’s obvious from Linder’s remarks as the season has progressed that this team he has put together has enough juice to play ball, but they seem to not want to win bad enough. I’m simply trying to make sense of this disaster of the season as it has evolved this year.
It wouldn't be too surprising if Agbonkpolo and Kyman went back into the transfer portal, and I don't think Linder would do much to change their minds. There's probably some buyer's remorse there.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

307bball wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:14 pm
Vancopoke wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:16 pm Other than the transfers, who is considered dead weight? Thought we had a solid team but man, was I wrong.
All college teams have some "dead weight" as you put it. Here is how I look at it:

-Take the top two guys on each conference team member (besides the team being analyzed...in this case the cowboys) giving us 22 players.
-How many guys, if any, on Wyoming's team are better than guys on that list.

I think Hunter M would get on that list...somewhere. Reynolds? Maybe...but other than that...not a lot of difference makers. I like some of Ethan Anderson's game but a guard that really can't shoot is ultimately limited. The top MWC teams will have three players that would get on that list and an argument for a fourth. Look at the best team during the Shyatt era...you had Nance, Adams for sure and Cooke and Riley Grabau right there. If you don't have better top guys than the rest of the conference...you just aren't going to go far. This team has like 1.5 top guys....depending on the night. It's not a talented team.
I think Wenzell is a pretty good player when healthy. I think he might get lost a little due to his injuries. It seems like he hasn't been 100% at any point this year.
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

Wyovanian wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:26 am
johnywyo wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:57 pm The book on Linder was that he was great judge of evaluating talent. Also a student of the European game, this is what is totally confusing, as this years team has regressed horribly. I was also wondering where Seattle Cowboy, if that’s what his moniker was has not chimed in at all this season. He seemed to think like many here and in the press that this team was set for some terrific competition. It’s obvious from Linder’s remarks as the season has progressed that this team he has put together has enough juice to play ball, but they seem to not want to win bad enough. I’m simply trying to make sense of this disaster of the season as it has evolved this year.
It wouldn't be too surprising if Agbonkpolo and Kyman went back into the transfer portal, and I don't think Linder would do much to change their minds. There's probably some buyer's remorse there.
Neither of those guys has had an impact.