Recruiting/Transfer Class

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:48 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:43 am

Marcus Epps…what an idiot!!
Wasn't Muma also a preferred walk-on?
No I don’t believe so. He had scholarship offers from Colorado State and Wyoming and chose Wyoming because his dad and grandfather also played at Wyoming. He was probably a bit overlooked by other programs because he has diabetes.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:48 am

Wasn't Muma also a preferred walk-on?
no
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 am

Yea - how dumb are current players like John Hoyland, Wyatt Wieland, Will Pellisier, Jayden Clemons and former players like Garrett Crall to go to a School where the coach didn’t even think they were good enough for a scholarship. What fools!!
Oh hey, wow, how many walk ons DIDN'T make it??
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:43 am

Oh hey, wow, how many walk ons DIDN'T make it??
Less than the amount of scholarship players on the roster who flamed out...

My god - success in football in the same as success in every aspect of life. It is is combination of hard work and talent with a little bit of luck thrown in (i.e. staying injury free).
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:50 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 pm

Towards the 12 team playoff, there is essentially a token spot for the G5. The Top 6 conference champions get an automatic bid and since there are only five power conferences, there is a spot every year on the playoff for one of the G6 conferences.

So if the expectation is to win the conference, the chance to make the playoff is more real than ever.

With the 12 team playoff rules a g5 school would have been invited every year of the playoff since 2014.
SEC didn't add TX and OU only to get 1 or 2 teams in a playoff. I'm not sure your assumptions of g5 going in every year are accurate. Even if it starts that way, g5 will be seeded against #1 team and get a merciless beat down. That will provide justification to omit g5 in the future.
Only 5 power conferences and top 6 conference champs get auto bid. There will be one g5 team every year.

6 at large teams based on rankings. Yes I expect sec 3 or 4 every year but it doesn't change that there are 6 auto bids from conference champs and only 5 power conferences.

In first round the top 4 conference champs get the bye. So no g5 will not be against #1 team any year in first round. If they win first round sure they might face #1 in next round, but its a playoff, to win the G5 will be playing top teams regardless
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:34 pm

SEC didn't add TX and OU only to get 1 or 2 teams in a playoff. I'm not sure your assumptions of g5 going in every year are accurate. Even if it starts that way, g5 will be seeded against #1 team and get a merciless beat down. That will provide justification to omit g5 in the future.
Only 5 power conferences and top 6 conference champs get auto bid. There will be one g5 team every year.

6 at large teams based on rankings. Yes I expect sec 3 or 4 every year but it doesn't change that there are 6 auto bids from conference champs and only 5 power conferences.

In first round the top 4 conference champs get the bye. So no g5 will not be against #1 team any year in first round. If they win first round sure they might face #1 in next round, but its a playoff, to win the G5 will be playing top teams regardless
I don't disagree with you for now, but more long-term. It won't last.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 pm

Towards the 12 team playoff, there is essentially a token spot for the G5. The Top 6 conference champions get an automatic bid and since there are only five power conferences, there is a spot every year on the playoff for one of the G6 conferences.

So if the expectation is to win the conference, the chance to make the playoff is more real than ever.

With the 12 team playoff rules a g5 school would have been invited every year of the playoff since 2014.
It wasn't an assumption. It's a fact. According to the new rules, that's exactly how it's going to work. Yoiu can argue about how they may change the rules later, but this will be the rules starting for the 2024 season. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 20rankings.

Here's what it would have looked like this year: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ostseason/

Notice #12 doesn't open playing the #1 seed. Merciless beatdowns aren't guaranteed, so you can stop worrying about that. The current system is full of lopsided games.

Also, it doesn't guarantee just one G5 team per year. Lots of scenarios where G5 conference champs get in.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:24 pm

It wasn't an assumption. It's a fact. According to the new rules, that's exactly how it's going to work. Yoiu can argue about how they may change the rules later, but this will be the rules starting for the 2024 season. https://www.sportingnews.com/us/ncaa-fo ... 20rankings.

Here's what it would have looked like this year: https://www.cbssports.com/college-footb ... ostseason/

Notice #12 doesn't open playing the #1 seed. Merciless beatdowns aren't guaranteed, so you can stop worrying about that. The current system is full of lopsided games.

Also, it doesn't guarantee just one G5 team per year. Lots of scenarios where G5 conference champs get in.
You are correct...the format does not guarantee only one G5 team...but the widening gap between legit $$ programs and every body else does the job. Our chances of making the CFP changed but it just went from from nada to zilch.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

Read above and history. This isn't going to end well for us.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:04 pm

You are correct...the format does not guarantee only one G5 team...but the widening gap between legit $$ programs and every body else does the job. Our chances of making the CFP changed but it just went from from nada to zilch.
The new system isn't keeping Wyoming out. The innability to win a conference championship is.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 pm

I don't understand the "Doom and Gloom" attitude. We are currently locked out. With the new system, we're still probably locked out, but there's a chance.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:02 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:13 pm

I don't understand the "Doom and Gloom" attitude. We are currently locked out. With the new system, we're still probably locked out, but there's a chance.
A chance at what?!? To look worse than TCU on national tv (the worst championship ratings of all time). The separation is coming because tv networks won’t pay for blowouts.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:40 am
307bball wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 5:04 pm

The new system isn't keeping Wyoming out. The innability to win a conference championship is.
You remind me of a younger, less jaded me. I remember when I felt like football relevance was just around the corner.

You and I agree on one thing though. A conference championship football team in Laramie isn't happening anytime soon.... And by the time it happens... It will not come with a CFP invite.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand

307bball wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 pm
flyfishwyo wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:40 am

You remind me of a younger, less jaded me. I remember when I felt like football relevance was just around the corner.

You and I agree on one thing though. A conference championship football team in Laramie isn't happening anytime soon.... And by the time it happens... It will not come with a CFP invite.
I really don't see Wyoming football being nationally relevant ever again. We're currently in a Tier 3 conference, and we're struggling to get out of the middle of that pack. Given the financial setup of college football there isn't much Wyoming can do about it. We can start winning more. That would sure help. But I've also seen what happens when we swing for the fences and miss. Being at the bottom of the MWC is soul crushing.

What gives me optimism is that the system is changing. Not in a way that would let Wyoming get to the top, but in a way that may end up with us in the Tier 2 group. That's an improvement. We could even catch lightning in a bottle and make the CFP some year. Not remotely likely, but possible. Compared to the current system where some people actually believe Alabama should have been in the CFP this year, it's an improvement. It's possible for a team like Wyoming to play our way in to a 12 team playoff. Again, highly unlikely, but possible.

Maybe my perspective is just different. I grew up in Montana as a fan of a B1G team because my family was from the Midwest. Everyone around me went to either Bozeman or Missoula. Cat/Grizz was a big deal. I didn't go to Bozeman or Missoula, or to the B1G school. I went to Wyoming and I'm still here in Laramie. The perspective gained from being a Cowboy is so different than the FCS or B1G perspective. The B1G guys have nearly unlimited money and a true sense of superiority. They will never drop to the Tier 2 level no matter how much they lose. See Nebraska for reference. Also, they aren't going to let Wyoming join their club. The FCS schools really, really want to be at the level of Wyoming. They won't say it, though. And they aren't willing to spend the money to get here. Thankfully we put UW in Laramie 120 years ago instead of Sheridan or we'd be in the Big Sky.

So, we're not Tier 1, and we're never going to be. Ever. No matter how much we want it. If the P5 turns into the P4 or even P2, which is very possible, we can get to the Tier 2 level. We'll get to play againt Tier 2 competition in our conference and Tier 1 schools a couple of times a year. Hopefully the Power conferences stop playing FCS schools and just play non-power FBS schools like us (the SEC should be ashamed). That change is overdue.

We're also not FCS. And I don't think we ever will be. It's an entirely different level we don't want to drop to. It's the same as waving a white flag. The money, exposure, and opportunity for our athletes is just vastly different. Anyone who thinks we should entertain the idea of FCS sports just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Given my perspective, I think Wyoming is likely to end up in an improved position. Not in a Power conference, not in the FCS. Likely in a group with peers like Boise, CSU, Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, etc. And maybe some schools that don't get to join the Power 2 or 4 like Washington State, Oregon State, and a few more that don't step up their spending. Seems like a good place to be.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

flyfishwyo wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:25 pm
307bball wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 9:34 pm

I really don't see Wyoming football being nationally relevant ever again. We're currently in a Tier 3 conference, and we're struggling to get out of the middle of that pack. Given the financial setup of college football there isn't much Wyoming can do about it. We can start winning more. That would sure help. But I've also seen what happens when we swing for the fences and miss. Being at the bottom of the MWC is soul crushing.

What gives me optimism is that the system is changing. Not in a way that would let Wyoming get to the top, but in a way that may end up with us in the Tier 2 group. That's an improvement. We could even catch lightning in a bottle and make the CFP some year. Not remotely likely, but possible. Compared to the current system where some people actually believe Alabama should have been in the CFP this year, it's an improvement. It's possible for a team like Wyoming to play our way in to a 12 team playoff. Again, highly unlikely, but possible.

Maybe my perspective is just different. I grew up in Montana as a fan of a B1G team because my family was from the Midwest. Everyone around me went to either Bozeman or Missoula. Cat/Grizz was a big deal. I didn't go to Bozeman or Missoula, or to the B1G school. I went to Wyoming and I'm still here in Laramie. The perspective gained from being a Cowboy is so different than the FCS or B1G perspective. The B1G guys have nearly unlimited money and a true sense of superiority. They will never drop to the Tier 2 level no matter how much they lose. See Nebraska for reference. Also, they aren't going to let Wyoming join their club. The FCS schools really, really want to be at the level of Wyoming. They won't say it, though. And they aren't willing to spend the money to get here. Thankfully we put UW in Laramie 120 years ago instead of Sheridan or we'd be in the Big Sky.

So, we're not Tier 1, and we're never going to be. Ever. No matter how much we want it. If the P5 turns into the P4 or even P2, which is very possible, we can get to the Tier 2 level. We'll get to play againt Tier 2 competition in our conference and Tier 1 schools a couple of times a year. Hopefully the Power conferences stop playing FCS schools and just play non-power FBS schools like us (the SEC should be ashamed). That change is overdue.

We're also not FCS. And I don't think we ever will be. It's an entirely different level we don't want to drop to. It's the same as waving a white flag. The money, exposure, and opportunity for our athletes is just vastly different. Anyone who thinks we should entertain the idea of FCS sports just doesn't know what they're talking about.

Given my perspective, I think Wyoming is likely to end up in an improved position. Not in a Power conference, not in the FCS. Likely in a group with peers like Boise, CSU, Tulsa, Memphis, SMU, etc. And maybe some schools that don't get to join the Power 2 or 4 like Washington State, Oregon State, and a few more that don't step up their spending. Seems like a good place to be.
All of that makes a lot of sense....except for calling the new landscape an improvement. It's not like it's way worse or anything but I would definitely call your scenario some version of treading water.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I believe Cody Crawford from Natrona has committed. D-lineman.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 8:05 pm I believe Cody Crawford from Natrona has committed. D-lineman.
Always good to get in-state players.
physbo
Buckaroo

See this thinking is DUMB. Wyoming will never be Notre Dame in terms of spending, sits filled or telelvised games. The FACT is Coach Bohl has brought Wyoming to a higher standard is amazing. Yes, we need to move a step higher, but Bohl needs to be the bar. Right now no one can fill him. He brought Wyoming its first player that got drafted extremely high in the first round, a guy the entire College World ignored, then we are slowly becoming the team you take a linebacker from. We are no longer the team to ignore on draft day. Coach Bohl has taken us from a team that wins a Bowl game every couples years after a new coach to a team that expects to go to a bowl game or bettter. Yes we want better, but the fact Bohl recruits better then any coach we had for many years is great. The problem isnt Bohl, its just the coaches he has help, he does have a hard time bringing in cordinators to elevate higher then what we have. Remeber last year we were expected to win 2 games tops!. Under Allen we were still a two win tops team. The entire time Bohl has been here, every year, two wins, it was a fluke year. The thing is, Bohl has made the team better, through good recruiting and excepting that we do need to let good players go that cant align with a team goal. Notice how most of those players that left in transfer that were starters, did nothing to this team? Except the players admitted it was more fun to be around after they left?
307bball
WyoNation Addict

physbo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 am See this thinking is DUMB. Wyoming will never be Notre Dame in terms of spending, sits filled or telelvised games. The FACT is Coach Bohl has brought Wyoming to a higher standard is amazing. Yes, we need to move a step higher, but Bohl needs to be the bar. Right now no one can fill him. He brought Wyoming its first player that got drafted extremely high in the first round, a guy the entire College World ignored, then we are slowly becoming the team you take a linebacker from. We are no longer the team to ignore on draft day. Coach Bohl has taken us from a team that wins a Bowl game every couples years after a new coach to a team that expects to go to a bowl game or bettter. Yes we want better, but the fact Bohl recruits better then any coach we had for many years is great. The problem isnt Bohl, its just the coaches he has help, he does have a hard time bringing in cordinators to elevate higher then what we have. Remeber last year we were expected to win 2 games tops!. Under Allen we were still a two win tops team. The entire time Bohl has been here, every year, two wins, it was a fluke year. The thing is, Bohl has made the team better, through good recruiting and excepting that we do need to let good players go that cant align with a team goal. Notice how most of those players that left in transfer that were starters, did nothing to this team? Except the players admitted it was more fun to be around after they left?
I've said it before...I'll say it again...the Wyoming football problem is over-determined. A lot of what you say is true...but the Bohl detractors aren't blowing smoke either. He has accomplished all of the things that you pointed out and people that try to diminish or take the credit away from Bohl for those accomplishments are just arguing in bad faith ...BUT Bohl also is limited in some fairly obvious ways that seem, from the outside, to be imminently fixable....that is frustrating.

Basically...if you think the Bohl era is among the low points of Wyoming football....you are just wrong. In fairness...I don't actually think a lot of people actually hold this view, but in the anti-Bohl statements that are made, people are willing to be hyperbolically inaccurate to make a point.

If you believe (as I do) that the Bohl era is among the high points in Wyoming football (Notice...I did not say THE high point), that is a much more tenable position. What frustrates us all is that most of us don't see a way to a conference championship or a 9+ win season .. much less a couple of those types of seasons in a row. I'm sympathetic to those who what to blow it up because...if this is as good as it gets..why not? My answer to that is ... maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I think the best we can do is stay the course, hope that Bohl finishes his career with a couple more 7 win seasons, and have a robust succession plan in place for when he retires.
physbo
Buckaroo

307bball wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 am
physbo wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 12:18 am See this thinking is DUMB. Wyoming will never be Notre Dame in terms of spending, sits filled or telelvised games. The FACT is Coach Bohl has brought Wyoming to a higher standard is amazing. Yes, we need to move a step higher, but Bohl needs to be the bar. Right now no one can fill him. He brought Wyoming its first player that got drafted extremely high in the first round, a guy the entire College World ignored, then we are slowly becoming the team you take a linebacker from. We are no longer the team to ignore on draft day. Coach Bohl has taken us from a team that wins a Bowl game every couples years after a new coach to a team that expects to go to a bowl game or bettter. Yes we want better, but the fact Bohl recruits better then any coach we had for many years is great. The problem isnt Bohl, its just the coaches he has help, he does have a hard time bringing in cordinators to elevate higher then what we have. Remeber last year we were expected to win 2 games tops!. Under Allen we were still a two win tops team. The entire time Bohl has been here, every year, two wins, it was a fluke year. The thing is, Bohl has made the team better, through good recruiting and excepting that we do need to let good players go that cant align with a team goal. Notice how most of those players that left in transfer that were starters, did nothing to this team? Except the players admitted it was more fun to be around after they left?
I've said it before...I'll say it again...the Wyoming football problem is over-determined. A lot of what you say is true...but the Bohl detractors aren't blowing smoke either. He has accomplished all of the things that you pointed out and people that try to diminish or take the credit away from Bohl for those accomplishments are just arguing in bad faith ...BUT Bohl also is limited in some fairly obvious ways that seem, from the outside, to be imminently fixable....that is frustrating.

Basically...if you think the Bohl era is among the low points of Wyoming football....you are just wrong. In fairness...I don't actually think a lot of people actually hold this view, but in the anti-Bohl statements that are made, people are willing to be hyperbolically inaccurate to make a point.

If you believe (as I do) that the Bohl era is among the high points in Wyoming football (Notice...I did not say THE high point), that is a much more tenable position. What frustrates us all is that most of us don't see a way to a conference championship or a 9+ win season .. much less a couple of those types of seasons in a row. I'm sympathetic to those who what to blow it up because...if this is as good as it gets..why not? My answer to that is ... maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I think the best we can do is stay the course, hope that Bohl finishes his career with a couple more 7 win seasons, and have a robust succession plan in place for when he retires.
And i agree, we want improvement yes, but who remembers pre bohl? who remembers prebohl last how many coaches???? We have a golden goose here to imrpove our team, hes to OLD to imrpove a higher team, but hes actually fantastic at what he is doing here. No one wants to steal Bohl because hes to old, but god damn that man has made this team that has almost has always been meh, into a team suddenly we are contending every year. I really remember when a 2 win year was great, we are finally to the point is 8 wins is meh, Bohl keeps delievering better then that, yes stuff needs to imrpove and maybe a hands off apporach by him, but the man is great recruitier, great talent scout and a great leader. We lost litterly half our team, and we made a god damn bowl game when people though we would win 1 or 2 games.