Recruiting/Transfer Class

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

What do we think about this year/s class? any immediate impact players?
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I think there are. The kid from Wray, Co looks like he can be an impact player on the d line

Naz Hill will be an impact player in the secondary.

I think the RB from Wisconsin , Keany Parks, can make an impact on the offense. Seems immensely talented , a lot like Valladay. The internet says he is a 24’ long jumper which is a massive jump. This indicates he’s an elite athlete. His 100m isn’t impressive, like 11.6, but in order to jump 24’ you likely must be able to run well below 11.0 in the 100. So the 100m times makes no sense. He’s got pictures on Twitter him jumping in bball and he is an athlete

I think the QB, Caden Anderson will EVENTUALLY make a big impact. Maybe not next year because it takes 7 years to gain a rudimentary understanding of the offense and Bohl can’t not play peasley.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Waylee is as good as if not better than Swen. We’ve already seen what he could do. Wyoming will be loaded at RB with the return of DQ and McNeely (assuming no further RB transfers).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Guys, call me naive, but I have a good feeling about next year. I think we'll surprise and end up very competitive in the MWC
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:57 pm Guys, call me naive, but I have a good feeling about next year. I think we'll surprise and end up very competitive in the MWC
I’ll have a better forecast after the first day of classes. So far, we haven’t been hurt as badly as I was anticipating in the portal.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Pokes have a tough non - conference next year. I hope we can win a few of those.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 2:57 pm Guys, call me naive, but I have a good feeling about next year. I think we'll surprise and end up very competitive in the MWC
I’ll jump on this bandwagon with ya….. The boyz surprised a lot of folks this year.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:12 pm
I’ll jump on this bandwagon with ya….. The boyz surprised a lot of folks this year.
We will likely be competitive in the MWC. We should be. It is not a great league. We will be competitive. The real test is: can we win a game against a P5 school and hold serve against App State? If so, that will be a surprise.

Color me skeptical. So long as Grant is our WR coach and Bohl is micromanaging the offense, we will not win a league title nor will we beat TTU, Texas or App State.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:36 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:12 pm

We will likely be competitive in the MWC. We should be. It is not a great league. We will be competitive. The real test is: can we win a game against a P5 school and hold serve against App State? If so, that will be a surprise.

Color me skeptical. So long as Grant is our WR coach and Bohl is micromanaging the offense, we will not win a league title nor will we beat TTU, Texas or App State.
Well, that's the goal, right? Be competitive with peer institutions in our region. I'll take that
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:18 pm
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 11:36 am

Well, that's the goal, right? Be competitive with peer institutions in our region. I'll take that
Dominating the league, winning championships and playing in NY6/playoff games should be the goal.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:47 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:18 pm
Dominating the league, winning championships and playing in NY6/playoff games should be the goal.
If that’s your measuring stick, prepare to be continually disappointed. The going rate for top QBs in college football is now roughly $3 million per year. Do you truly believe Wyoming should and will dole out this kind of money? The MWC is the minor leagues.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:32 pm
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:47 pm

If that’s your measuring stick, prepare to be continually disappointed. The going rate for top QBs in college football is now roughly $3 million per year. Do you truly believe Wyoming should and will dole out this kind of money? The MWC is the minor leagues.
Four things are true:

1 Those are my expectations, especially with the expanded playoff.
2. The MWC is the minor league, just like every other G5 conference. As such, it should be within our grasp to dominate it. If we can’t, we are less than minor league.
3. I fully expect to be disappointed, Bohl, Grant and co will always disappoint. Just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, Bohl will never win this crap conference…no less sniff the playoff.
4. If we can’t have the minimal expectation of winning our league and competing against App State and Texas Tech, we should consider whether we belong in FBS.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

The team has finished in the top 25 one time in over 50 yrs. Lets just get back to there before you start expecting to play for national championships.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:32 pm

Four things are true:

2. The MWC is the minor league, just like every other G5 conference. As such, it should be within our grasp to dominate it. If we can’t, we are less than minor league.
3. I fully expect to be disappointed, Bohl, Grant and co will always disappoint. Just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, Bohl will never win this crap conference…no less sniff the playoff.
4. If we can’t have the minimal expectation of winning our league and competing against App State and Texas Tech, we should consider whether we belong in FBS.
In addition to scholarships - Texas Tech pays 105 football players a base NIL salary of $25,000 per year. That is, Texas Tech has 20 walk-ons making $25,000 a year to play there. If I had to guess, Texas Tech's total annual NIL dollars are in the $8-$10 million range. We aren't even on the same playing field when it comes to dollars.
https://theathletic.com/news/texas-tech ... XRrM0sTXr/

People wonder why an athlete chooses to 'walk-on' at Notre Dame versus a scholarship at Wyoming. Money talks. But to get into an arms race at Wyoming by throwing a bunch of money at football players would be idiotic.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 6:23 pm

Four things are true:

In addition to scholarships - Texas Tech pays 105 football players a base NIL salary of $25,000 per year. That is, Texas Tech has 20 walk-ons making $25,000 a year to play there. If I had to guess, Texas Tech's total annual NIL dollars are in the $8-$10 million range. We aren't even on the same playing field when it comes to dollars.

People wonder why an athlete chooses to 'walk-on' at Notre Dame versus a scholarship at Wyoming. Money talks. But to get into an arms race at Wyoming by throwing a bunch of money at football players would be idiotic.
All I said was that I wanted to be competitive against them. Guess that is asking too much. But forget Texas Tech. How about the rest of my post?
Last edited by LawPoke on Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

Hotkarl wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 5:28 pm The team has finished in the top 25 one time in over 50 yrs. Lets just get back to there before you start expecting to play for national championships.
We will never be national champs. Never. However, with the expanded playoff, there is no reason we can’t make playing in it a goal.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Four things are true:

If the goal is to actually play football the kid is an absolute idiot for going to notre dame. I know it’s tough to believe, but money isn’t absolutely everything for some people.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Time will tell but its Year 10, Bohl find a way!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

stymeman wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 8:07 pm Time will tell but its Year 10, Bohl find a way!!!
Apparently Bohl is meeting expectations in Year 10, sty. Get with the program. The only reasonable expectation is a 7-6 record and Tater and Arizona Bowls. Any other outcome is so far beyond the pale as to be rendered ludicrous. If we come in second in the Mountain Division after getting pummeled by Fresno, pop the champagne corks!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:40 pm

If the goal is to actually play football the kid is an absolute idiot for going to notre dame. I know it’s tough to believe, but money isn’t absolutely everything for some people.
Do you think he's not good enough?...is ND making a mistake by making him a preferred walk-on?

Money is definitely not everything but neither is playing every snap for a team that is only semi-competitive in an increasingly irrelevant conference. I'm also pretty sure that athletes go to ND or Michigan or Alabama for a lot of reasons and to think it's just money is naïve.