Recruiting/Transfer Class

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

physbo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 3:02 am
307bball wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:47 am

I've said it before...I'll say it again...the Wyoming football problem is over-determined. A lot of what you say is true...but the Bohl detractors aren't blowing smoke either. He has accomplished all of the things that you pointed out and people that try to diminish or take the credit away from Bohl for those accomplishments are just arguing in bad faith ...BUT Bohl also is limited in some fairly obvious ways that seem, from the outside, to be imminently fixable....that is frustrating.

Basically...if you think the Bohl era is among the low points of Wyoming football....you are just wrong. In fairness...I don't actually think a lot of people actually hold this view, but in the anti-Bohl statements that are made, people are willing to be hyperbolically inaccurate to make a point.

If you believe (as I do) that the Bohl era is among the high points in Wyoming football (Notice...I did not say THE high point), that is a much more tenable position. What frustrates us all is that most of us don't see a way to a conference championship or a 9+ win season .. much less a couple of those types of seasons in a row. I'm sympathetic to those who what to blow it up because...if this is as good as it gets..why not? My answer to that is ... maybe it is and maybe it isn't. I think the best we can do is stay the course, hope that Bohl finishes his career with a couple more 7 win seasons, and have a robust succession plan in place for when he retires.
And i agree, we want improvement yes, but who remembers pre bohl? who remembers prebohl last how many coaches???? We have a golden goose here to imrpove our team, hes to OLD to imrpove a higher team, but hes actually fantastic at what he is doing here. No one wants to steal Bohl because hes to old, but god damn that man has made this team that has almost has always been meh, into a team suddenly we are contending every year. I really remember when a 2 win year was great, we are finally to the point is 8 wins is meh, Bohl keeps delievering better then that, yes stuff needs to imrpove and maybe a hands off apporach by him, but the man is great recruitier, great talent scout and a great leader. We lost litterly half our team, and we made a god damn bowl game when people though we would win 1 or 2 games.
More to this point, look at our conference peers that were in the same boat. How did they fair compared to us. Exceeding expectations we did. We just as easily could have been in the same boat as Nevada and Hawaii.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

aranderson wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 7:50 am More to this point, look at our conference peers that were in the same boat. How did they fair compared to us. Exceeding expectations we did. We just as easily could have been in the same boat as Nevada and Hawaii.
This is where we find ourselves...it's like the NBA teams that are consistently losing in the first round of the playoffs. They aren't good enough to make a run for a championship and they aren't bad enough to have hope for the draft lottery. If we were terrible, this would be a no-brainer. Fire Bohl and move on. But, as you point out...we are not terrible. In fact, Bohl may be the big reason we are not in the dregs of the conference.

As I said, of all the roads forward for Wyoming football...I think the best we can do is to stay with Bohl, keep the developmental foundation mentality and adapt it to the higher rate of transfer players, and plan for Bohl's successor. I'm not terribly excited about it but it beats having a losing record against the bottom half of the conference for an extended period of time.