Recruiting/Transfer Class

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm Four things are true:

1 Those are my expectations, especially with the expanded playoff.
You do you ... everybody get's to set their own expectations. I would say it's good to have them as high as you can reasonably expect them to be.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 2. The MWC is the minor league, just like every other G5 conference. As such, it should be within our grasp to dominate it. If we can’t, we are less than minor league.
This is true of every MWC school...does anybody have an institutional advantage in the MWC? I don't think so....does BSU still get extra media money? Maybe they should be "expected" to dominate. There is nothing intrinsically "special" about Wyoming football that you can point to that sets us up to "dominate" the conference.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 3. I fully expect to be disappointed, Bohl, Grant and co will always disappoint. Just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, Bohl will never win this crap conference…no less sniff the playoff.
The part about never having a hope to win the conference is true of most the MWC...the part about not being able to sniff the playoffs is also more true for G5 teams as every year goes by. Even if they expand to 12, without a token spot going to G5 automatically. For historical context, since 2014 (beginning of the CFP era), 2 schools from the G5 would have been invited to the play off if 12 teams were invited. UCF in '17 and '18 and Cincinatti in '20 and '21. Both of those teams are not G5 starting next year. The best odds (meager as they are) of a G5 team cracking the playoffs are right now ... but as time goes by it is only getting smaller.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 4. If we can’t have the minimal expectation of winning our league and competing against App State and Texas Tech, we should consider whether we belong in FBS.
I don't think winning the MWC is an unrealistic goal...as has been pointed out...the MWC is terrible. Really the only years that winning our conference felt completely unrealistic was during the TCU/UTAH MWC heyday.

As far as beating App State...sure...If we can beat AFA (something CB does with surprising regularity) they we can probably beat App State, but don't bet the bank on it. Texas Tech? not so much. The ability of $$ programs to stockpile talent is increasing and Tech is a $$ program. Going forward, Wyoming is at an increasing disadvantage against P5 teams...again...this is something we have in common with the rest of the MWC. Does this mean we don't belong in the FBS? Well...I would say the the FBS includes some powerhouses like Ohio State but also has UNLV...I think we fit in there somewhere.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:50 am
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm Four things are true:

1 Those are my expectations, especially with the expanded playoff.
You do you ... everybody get's to set their own expectations. I would say it's good to have them as high as you can reasonably expect them to be.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 2. The MWC is the minor league, just like every other G5 conference. As such, it should be within our grasp to dominate it. If we can’t, we are less than minor league.
This is true of every MWC school...does anybody have an institutional advantage in the MWC? I don't think so....does BSU still get extra media money? Maybe they should be "expected" to dominate. There is nothing intrinsically "special" about Wyoming football that you can point to that sets us up to "dominate" the conference.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 3. I fully expect to be disappointed, Bohl, Grant and co will always disappoint. Just as the sun rises in the East and sets in the West, Bohl will never win this crap conference…no less sniff the playoff.
The part about never having a hope to win the conference is true of most the MWC...the part about not being able to sniff the playoffs is also more true for G5 teams as every year goes by. Even if they expand to 12, without a token spot going to G5 automatically. For historical context, since 2014 (beginning of the CFP era), 2 schools from the G5 would have been invited to the play off if 12 teams were invited. UCF in '17 and '18 and Cincinatti in '20 and '21. Both of those teams are not G5 starting next year. The best odds (meager as they are) of a G5 team cracking the playoffs are right now ... but as time goes by it is only getting smaller.
LawPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:55 pm 4. If we can’t have the minimal expectation of winning our league and competing against App State and Texas Tech, we should consider whether we belong in FBS.
I don't think winning the MWC is an unrealistic goal...as has been pointed out...the MWC is terrible. Really the only years that winning our conference felt completely unrealistic was during the TCU/UTAH MWC heyday.

As far as beating App State...sure...If we can beat AFA (something CB does with surprising regularity) they we can probably beat App State, but don't bet the bank on it. Texas Tech? not so much. The ability of $$ programs to stockpile talent is increasing and Tech is a $$ program. Going forward, Wyoming is at an increasing disadvantage against P5 teams...again...this is something we have in common with the rest of the MWC. Does this mean we don't belong in the FBS? Well...I would say the the FBS includes some powerhouses like Ohio State but also has UNLV...I think we fit in there somewhere.
I agree with nearly everything you have offered. Will we win? Who knows. Should we win against App State? We should have the mindset and expectation that we will. Should we win the conference? We should think we should. My problem with UW and the state of Wyoming right now is dumbed down expectations. We don't even try to dream anymore. My issue is complacency and accepting middle to lower tier status and performance. At some point, you either belly up to the bar and take an honest shot at being great...or you own the fact that you are no longer willing to think that you can compete and punt. Functionally, within our peer institutions (forget Texas Tech), we are paying champagne prices for generic beer and not demanding what we paid for. My reality is that Wyoming and far too many Wyoming fans are content going to a crummy bowl - they like Tucson or Boise in December - and have fear that if we do something to upset our Tater Bowl gravy train, we will immediately return to the Koenning years and never get the wonderful experience of sniffing blue turf in December again. For me - the bowls we go to are so meaningless that going is no better than not. In my humble view, going and celebrating .500 seasons actually further solidifies our complacency and the acceptability of being mediocre because, "hey, at least we are going to a bowl."
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LawPoke wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 11:10 am I agree with nearly everything you have offered. Will we win? Who knows. Should we win against App State? We should have the mindset and expectation that we will. Should we win the conference? We should think we should. My problem with UW and the state of Wyoming right now is dumbed down expectations. We don't even try to dream anymore. My issue is complacency and accepting middle to lower tier status and performance. At some point, you either belly up to the bar and take an honest shot at being great...or you own the fact that you are no longer willing to think that you can compete and punt. Functionally, within our peer institutions (forget Texas Tech), we are paying champagne prices for generic beer and not demanding what we paid for. My reality is that Wyoming and far too many Wyoming fans are content going to a crummy bowl - they like Tucson or Boise in December - and have fear that if we do something to upset our Tater Bowl gravy train, we will immediately return to the Koenning years and never get the wonderful experience of sniffing blue turf in December again. For me - the bowls we go to are so meaningless that going is no better than not. In my humble view, going and celebrating .500 seasons actually further solidifies our complacency and the acceptability of being mediocre because, "hey, at least we are going to a bowl."
That is fair...Never has it been more appropriate to re-consider football investment at Wyoming then in the current climate. I recognize that I'm a die-hard brown and gold supporter and do not want us to slide into irrelevance, but we probably already have. I have always felt like there was a fundamental dishonesty within the arguments that wanted Wyoming to give up FBS football...now, I still disagree wholeheartedly but in today's economic environment, I at least can see the point those guys are making.

I have close ties to people at a couple levels at UW...Not BOT or president, but high enough....It is interesting to hear them talk about decisions that are getting made. You eloquently put forth a metaphor about taking an honest shot and I really think those people, including Bohl and Buchannan are actually doing that. A lot of the direction that is being chosen right now at UW, not just in athletics, are subject to intense debate and economic pressure. These decisions are being made in an environment of limitations. This means that people like us will always be able to criticize those decisions as being to timid and not trying to be great. The UW president and AD and every other Dean have to prioritize and choose how to spend their resources. Now in athletics...there seems to be a growing contingent of people that are of the opinion that if the result is not BSU or SDSU level domination of the MWC, then we should fold it up and admit defeat by joining the FCS. Other feel like the problem is just a HC change away....still others say that if the AD and HC were changed it would be better. You yourself put forth that it there is a rot within the people of Wyoming generally that accepts the status quo and until that changes, why spend so much money at all? I don't think any of those are mutually exclusive...the problem of why Wyoming can't win at football or men's basketball for any meaningful stretch of time is very over-determined...all of those things could be true but any one of them probably is good enough.

Anyways...interesting discussion.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:20 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 7:40 pm
If the goal is to actually play football the kid is an absolute idiot for going to notre dame. I know it’s tough to believe, but money isn’t absolutely everything for some people.
Do you think he's not good enough?...is ND making a mistake by making him a preferred walk-on?

Money is definitely not everything but neither is playing every snap for a team that is only semi-competitive in an increasingly irrelevant conference. I'm also pretty sure that athletes go to ND or Michigan or Alabama for a lot of reasons and to think it's just money is naïve.
He's a walk on. They already think he's not good enough. Walk ons face an uphill battle from the get go. They rarely get a fair shake. He got recruited over a couple times just this year and will the next year and the year after and the year after. I'll be surprised if he plays if he stays there.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 1:42 pm

Do you think he's not good enough?...is ND making a mistake by making him a preferred walk-on?

Money is definitely not everything but neither is playing every snap for a team that is only semi-competitive in an increasingly irrelevant conference. I'm also pretty sure that athletes go to ND or Michigan or Alabama for a lot of reasons and to think it's just money is naïve.
He's a walk on. They already think he's not good enough. Walk ons face an uphill battle from the get go. They rarely get a fair shake. He got recruited over a couple times just this year and will the next year and the year after and the year after. I'll be surprised if he plays if he stays there.
I'm pretty sure even Notre Dame does not have limitless space for walk-ons. Look, I think everybody gets your point that he stands a far greater chance at more or any PT at Wyoming ... I get that. Take that to it's conclusion though...why not go play for UNC Greeley?....if it's all about reps then go to some FCS program and light it up!

The money will always be a big reason why kids choose to go out of state from Wyoming but it will never be the only reason. Plenty of kids went out of state before this NIL crap started. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it your position that it's a bad decision that a Wyoming athlete choses to go to Notre Dame as a walk-on? I think that is what I'm hearing you say. You back it up by pointing out how hard it is to get PT as a walk-on....fair enough, that is your viewpoint. Wanting to be around the best and to test yourself against the best should be something we applaud. Not only that but other things are at play here. Almost no college athletes will every make a living playing professionally....that means that the most valuable thing you get out of your college athletic career is the diploma. If you have a shot to get one from ND .... I say go for it.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:00 pm
I'm pretty sure even Notre Dame does not have limitless space for walk-ons. Look, I think everybody gets your point that he stands a far greater chance at more or any PT at Wyoming ... I get that. Take that to it's conclusion though...why not go play for UNC Greeley?....if it's all about reps then go to some FCS program and light it up!

The money will always be a big reason why kids choose to go out of state from Wyoming but it will never be the only reason. Plenty of kids went out of state before this NIL crap started. Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it your position that it's a bad decision that a Wyoming athlete choses to go to Notre Dame as a walk-on? I think that is what I'm hearing you say. You back it up by pointing out how hard it is to get PT as a walk-on....fair enough, that is your viewpoint. Wanting to be around the best and to test yourself against the best should be something we applaud. Not only that but other things are at play here. Almost no college athletes will every make a living playing professionally....that means that the most valuable thing you get out of your college athletic career is the diploma. If you have a shot to get one from ND .... I say go for it.
Furthermore....with transfers being seamless...why not take a swing? The worst that happens is you get to pocket some sweet NIL and if you really want to see some PT....strength and condition and mature and transfer....easy money.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 123 times
Been liked: 50 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:17 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 2:00 pm

Furthermore....with transfers being seamless...why not take a swing? The worst that happens is you get to pocket some sweet NIL and if you really want to see some PT....strength and condition and mature and transfer....easy money.
It's not rare for the top player in any state to go somewhere else. Look at the 2023 recruiting class for examples.
Top player from: ______ Signed to: _______
Louisianna - U of Texas
Georgia - U of Alabama
Texas - U of Oklahoma
Michigan - UCLA
Iowa - University of Alabama
Arizona - UGA or South Carolina
Massachusetts - Miami Florida

Those are just the guys in the top 20.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Bowl games really don’t matter and our bowl tie in certainly don’t. The goal should be winning the conference, every thing after that is gravy. We should be winning at least a conference championship once every ten years if we have the highest paid coach.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:50 am The part about never having a hope to win the conference is true of most the MWC...the part about not being able to sniff the playoffs is also more true for G5 teams as every year goes by. Even if they expand to 12, without a token spot going to G5 automatically. For historical context, since 2014 (beginning of the CFP era), 2 schools from the G5 would have been invited to the play off if 12 teams were invited. UCF in '17 and '18 and Cincinatti in '20 and '21. Both of those teams are not G5 starting next year. The best odds (meager as they are) of a G5 team cracking the playoffs are right now ... but as time goes by it is only getting smaller.
Towards the 12 team playoff, there is essentially a token spot for the G5. The Top 6 conference champions get an automatic bid and since there are only five power conferences, there is a spot every year on the playoff for one of the G6 conferences.

So if the expectation is to win the conference, the chance to make the playoff is more real than ever.

With the 12 team playoff rules a g5 school would have been invited every year of the playoff since 2014.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

WyomingAgJ wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 5:10 pm
307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 10:50 am The part about never having a hope to win the conference is true of most the MWC...the part about not being able to sniff the playoffs is also more true for G5 teams as every year goes by. Even if they expand to 12, without a token spot going to G5 automatically. For historical context, since 2014 (beginning of the CFP era), 2 schools from the G5 would have been invited to the play off if 12 teams were invited. UCF in '17 and '18 and Cincinatti in '20 and '21. Both of those teams are not G5 starting next year. The best odds (meager as they are) of a G5 team cracking the playoffs are right now ... but as time goes by it is only getting smaller.
Towards the 12 team playoff, there is essentially a token spot for the G5. The Top 6 conference champions get an automatic bid and since there are only five power conferences, there is a spot every year on the playoff for one of the G6 conferences.

So if the expectation is to win the conference, the chance to make the playoff is more real than ever.

With the 12 team playoff rules a g5 school would have been invited every year of the playoff since 2014.
I thought it works just go to the highest 12 at the end of the season in the CFP rankings. I'm not an expert in this obviously. So the p5 champs get in (I'd have to look but I bet p5 champs are always in the top 12).... Then it's the token g5 bid.... Then the five highest remaining? I suppose that opens the door slightly. I would have been much more excited for this in the 90s when the top g5 team could legitimately have done something.

So, basically... The best g5 team gets the honor of playing a top 6 team and getting crushed.... Give that three years and you'll see teams positioning themselves to draw the g5 champion just for the "easy" draw.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:55 pm Bowl games really don’t matter and our bowl tie in certainly don’t. The goal should be winning the conference, every thing after that is gravy. We should be winning at least a conference championship once every ten years if we have the highest paid coach.
Can someone tell me where this myth of highest paid coach comes from?

Bohl made slightly under a million this year I believe based on incentives. UNLV pays their head coach $1.8 million. CSU paid Norvell roughly $1.6 million this last year.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

This debate is hilarious. Have you ever talked to a college athlete? Almost none of them commit to a school thinking "well, I'll never get playing time here, but it's [insert school name here] ".

No, even the more level-headed ones say "I won't start as a freshman, but I'll see the field in a couple years".

It takes a certain level of confidence to be an FBS player, a LOT of them think they are going Pro, so 'why wouldn't i play at school xyz'.

Any of them that actually have the self-awareness to realize they don't have a shot are either going there because it's their dream (playing time be damned) or they are going FCS or lower.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:32 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 4:55 pm Bowl games really don’t matter and our bowl tie in certainly don’t. The goal should be winning the conference, every thing after that is gravy. We should be winning at least a conference championship once every ten years if we have the highest paid coach.
Can someone tell me where this myth of highest paid coach comes from?

Bohl made slightly under a million this year I believe based on incentives. UNLV pays their head coach $1.8 million. CSU paid Norvell roughly $1.6 million this last year.
Different sources report the compensation differently..however....

Nothing screams "small-time" program like the obsession with coaching compensation. Every big time program pays waaaaaay more per win to their coaches than anybody in the MWC. From the few times I've had this topic shoved down my throat...The MWC has basically two tiers....schools that pay around 1.5 million and up and schools that are at 1 million and below. The actual number has changed over the years but the split seems to be pretty consistent. From a navadasportsnet.com article, the top 6 MWC coaches in pay all make within 125,000$ of each other, centered around 1.5 million. The bottom half of the MWC is much more spread out from Brady Hoke at 1.1 million down to Timmy Chang at 500,000. Since Bohl has established himself, he has been in the group of MWC coaches at that top tier. If you manage to keep your job for a long period of time....there will be increases in compensation and coaching is no different.

The part about the coaching pay discussion that perplexes me is that I don't see how it affects the fans relationship with the team. Would anybody be any happier with Bohl if he were making what Chang makes? I want the cowboys to be in conference championship games and to win a couple. How much the coach makes is like so far off my radar as it pertains to my enjoyment of the pokes. I guess the way that this gets talked about as if the primary problem is the number that Bohl makes is what I don't understand. The problem is that Bohl is not getting us there....not what he makes. I actually hope that when Bohl moves on we continue to pay at the top of the MWC...the correlation between results and pay does exist....so maybe if Wyoming keeps shoveling money at the HC position we will hit on something good eventually.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

307bball wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:50 pm

I thought it works just go to the highest 12 at the end of the season in the CFP rankings. I'm not an expert in this obviously. So the p5 champs get in (I'd have to look but I bet p5 champs are always in the top 12).... Then it's the token g5 bid.... Then the five highest remaining? I suppose that opens the door slightly. I would have been much more excited for this in the 90s when the top g5 team could legitimately have done something.

So, basically... The best g5 team gets the honor of playing a top 6 team and getting crushed.... Give that three years and you'll see teams positioning themselves to draw the g5 champion just for the "easy" draw.
For the 12 team playoff, the top six conference champions are automatic bids, then the next six highest ranked teams are in. Correct on I think every year the power 5 champions would have made it. There may have been one year where the pac-12 had an unranked champion due to an upset in their championship game and maybe they wouldn't have made it that year, but I can't remember. They set it this way to specifically prevent that scenario. If an unranked four or five lost team in a conference upsets in the conference championship they likely won't make the playoff because there will be six other higher ranked champions.

The four highest ranked conference champions will get byes. So If Ohio State and Michigan were to finish number two and four again in the standings like this year, only Michigan as the champion would get to bye, The next conference champion that is sitting at number 5 will get the bye instead of Ohio State since they were not a conference champ.

The six at large teams combined with the lowest two rated conference champions will be seeded against each other based on rankings and play in the first round at the home field of the higher rated team. The winners of that then will play the four highest conference champions that got the byes at the existing New Year's 6 bowl sites in the quarter-final round. The winners of those four games then meet in the semifinals at the existing New Year 6 bowl sites. Then the finals will still be at an additional location bid out years in advance.

So a team like Notre Dame will never get the bye unless they join a conference. A mountain West team has a direct auto bid to the playoff if they are in the top six conference champions even if that ranking is not in the top 12 overall. To get the bye they would have to be a top four conference champion which is unlikely. However it's not out of the realm of possibility to possibly get a home game if a mountain West team had a tough non-conference and an undefeated season.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:13 am
This debate is hilarious. Have you ever talked to a college athlete? Almost none of them commit to a school thinking "well, I'll never get playing time here, but it's [insert school name here] ".

No, even the more level-headed ones say "I won't start as a freshman, but I'll see the field in a couple years".

It takes a certain level of confidence to be an FBS player, a LOT of them think they are going Pro, so 'why wouldn't i play at school xyz'.

Any of them that actually have the self-awareness to realize they don't have a shot are either going there because it's their dream (playing time be damned) or they are going FCS or lower.
The kid is dumb. He had options to play for teams that actually thought he was worthy of a scholarship. The notre dame staff didn't think he was good enough to have a scholarship. They think others kids are better, the ones they actually gave scholarships to, including a few at his future position. They don't think much of him and he faces a long battle. Yeah, this argument is dumb. If he wanted to play football he should have gone to a place that thought he was good enough to play for their team. But at least he'll have the WORLD CLASS notre dame education, or something.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:13 am

The kid is dumb. He had options to play for teams that actually thought he was worthy of a scholarship. The notre dame staff didn't think he was good enough to have a scholarship. They think others kids are better, the ones they actually gave scholarships to, including a few at his future position. They don't think much of him and he faces a long battle. Yeah, this argument is dumb. If he wanted to play football he should have gone to a place that thought he was good enough to play for their team. But at least he'll have the WORLD CLASS notre dame education, or something.
Yea - how dumb are current players like John Hoyland, Wyatt Wieland, Will Pellisier, Jayden Clemons and former players like Garrett Crall to go to a School where the coach didn’t even think they were good enough for a scholarship. What fools!!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 am
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:11 am
Yea - how dumb are current players like John Hoyland, Wyatt Wieland, Will Pellisier, Jayden Clemons and former players like Garrett Crall to go to a School where the coach didn’t even think they were good enough for a scholarship. What fools!!
Marcus Epps…what an idiot!!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:43 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:28 am

Marcus Epps…what an idiot!!
Wasn't Muma also a preferred walk-on?
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

SEC didn't add TX and OU only to get 1 or 2 teams in a playoff. I'm not sure your assumptions of g5 going in every year are accurate. Even if it starts that way, g5 will be seeded against #1 team and get a merciless beat down. That will provide justification to omit g5 in the future.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.