Freshman QB. '23

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Those that believe Wyoming underachieved this year are delusional.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:50 pm Those that believe Wyoming underachieved this year are delusional.
I'll admit we overachieved a little but still....
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

Wyokie wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 9:04 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 8:50 pm Those that believe Wyoming underachieved this year are delusional.
I'll admit we overachieved a little but still....
A 7-6 record is overachieving (true statement - I had this crew penciled in for 3 to 4 wins). After a decade. Turns out, those who stay will be…7-6 and celebrating Barstool Bowl appearances and an occasional Tater Bowl french fry bath. Doesn’t have the same ring as staying and being champions…but hey, we didn’t go 4-8.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

They've underachieved over the past five seasons with a glaring weakness so obvious Stevie Wonder could see it. Stubborness in the face of the obvious can only be a result of ignorance or arrogance.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Wyovanian wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 5:10 am
They've underachieved over the past five seasons with a glaring weakness so obvious Stevie Wonder could see it. Stubborness in the face of the obvious can only be a result of ignorance or arrogance.
Compared to what though? I'm not disagreeing with you but these discussions about how good Wyoming is in any era, have a shocking lack of context. For reference, I'm listing the win totals from every MWC team for the last five full seasons (ie, not including covid).

BSU - 50
Fres - 46
SDSU - 46
AFA - 41
USU - 41
WYO - 36
HAW - 30
NEV - 28
CSU - 20
UNLV - 20
SJSU - 20

If you rank 5 year win totals for every year back to 1960 (again excluding Covid year), you get the following list cut off at 10:

1 1990 41
2 1991 39
3 1969 39
4 1968 39
5 1999 38
6 1967 38
7 2021 37 Bohl era
8 1998 37
9 1997 37
10 2022 36 Bohl era

This was interesting to me....In the modern MWC, we are dead center with 5 teams ahead of us and 5 teams below us. Are we closer to overtaking USU and AFA to move into the top half or are we closer to sinking below Hawaii to move into the bottom half? I really don't know. History suggests we would revert to the mean and move down since the five year win totals of 2021 and 2022 are truly better than any stretch in Cowboy history outside of the '90's and two years in the '60s. I know that they played less games in the past but even if you add one victory per year to every team before 1975, the 2021 year only slips to 9th and this year moves to the 13th best since 1960.

So what does it say when even the "glory" days of Wyoming football cant amass more wins than BSU, Fresno, and SDSU...and the best years in my recent memory have won just as much as USU and AFA did for the last 5 years?

I think the best think you can say, based on our history, is that we are overpaying for these results...I would have to do a deeper dive into program investment and coach salary to say it is gross over-payment but the heightened investment has obviously not gotten us into the upper echelon of the conference. As far as competitive under-achievement.... I don't really see it when the numbers get laid out. I definitely don't feel good about the results but I can't deny that Bohl has racked up more wins than most other era's of Cowboy football.

Here is a better question....Would you rather have AFA recent results or SJSU? Now SJSU wins a chip (during the covid year...I think that matters) but otherwise they have stunk it up....AFA has not won a chip but have appeared in the MWC title game one time (same as Bohl). Myself...I would go with the AFA results before I would trade all of those wins for a COVID championship. USU has the same amount of wins as AFA and a (real) championship...obviously...that would be better than either of the other options.

*Edit*....Please let's not make this a referendum on the relative strength of this era vs past eras. I understand the the overall conference strength will have an impact to some degree but the goal is to win 8, 9, and 10 games per season for multiple years....we have not been good enough to do that in the time period I analyzed...regardless of the varying conference strength.
Last edited by 307bball on Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:57 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:54 pm
The fact you are even acknowledging Marcotte leaving is dumb. He’s a 5th year player in law school
His production is leaving. Swen departed too…as in, will not be on the team and therefore not contributing. Under different circumstances, sure. Even then, he wasn’t a huge contributor, but we need every catch we can get in this crap scheme we are stuck with.
There was no production form Marcotte. Think he caught one pass all season
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:05 am
LawPoke wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:57 pm

His production is leaving. Swen departed too…as in, will not be on the team and therefore not contributing. Under different circumstances, sure. Even then, he wasn’t a huge contributor, but we need every catch we can get in this crap scheme we are stuck with.
There was no production form Marcotte. Think he caught one pass all season
Peasley only completed 144 all year…but I agree.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

Since 1968 we have finished in the top 25 a grand total of 1 time. The truth is the bright spots in football minus 1 yr of joe Tiller and two yrs of Roach have been all most non existent in the past 50 yrs.

I truly believe we are not that Far off from a double digit win season. If Bohl does that his record will be better than Tiller’s. Tiller was basically a .500 coach before 96 if yall remember. Hell I bet most of the posters around then wanted him gone after 95’.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Hotkarl wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 7:05 pm Since 1968 we have finished in the top 25 a grand total of 1 time. The truth is the bright spots in football minus 1 yr of joe Tiller and two yrs of Roach have been all most non existent in the past 50 yrs.

I truly believe we are not that Far off from a double digit win season. If Bohl does that his record will be better than Tiller’s. Tiller was basically a .500 coach before 96 if yall remember. Hell I bet most of the posters around then wanted him gone after 95’.
I think Tiller and Bohl have some similarities in their coaching trajectory at Wyoming and development of players for their system (as polar opposite as their offenses are) but I think transfer portal and NIL are hurdles that Tiller didn’t have. I don’t think Bohl gets us to double digit wins but I honestly don’t see really any coach getting us there in this environment. That said, I’m ready for a change in the program.

As you allude to ‘AverageJoe’ was run out of town basically.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

Will Bohl have QB competition or is Peasley the starter??
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:02 pm Will Bohl have QB competition or is Peasley the starter??
Peasley. Unless he decides to leave. In any case he won't have much to throw to so better become a better runner.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 5:02 pm Will Bohl have QB competition or is Peasley the starter??
I don’t believe anyone else will be given an honest chance
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:38 pm
I don’t believe anyone else will be given an honest chance
This is correct.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Jan 05, 2023 6:37 pm In any case he won't have much to throw to
And yet somehow it will all still be his fault, according to some on this board.

They'll kick and scream for Clemons or Svbota (just like they did this year), get one or two good games out of them when they finally see the field due to teams having little to no tape on them (just like this year), and then they, too, will fall flat on their faces (just like they did this year) because the QBs themselves are not the problem.

The system, the laughable QB development, the joke of a WR coach/"Passing game coordinator" (Grant), and the talent around them (WRs or lack thereof) is.

We've seen this time and time again. TVW went down, Chambers lit it up initially, and then began to fail. Levi came in, lit it up, and then also began to fail in spectacular fashion (until Neyor broke out and carried him a bit, but we still ended up going 2-6 in conference and ending the season in a tailspin). Peasley went down, Clemons looked good for a very short stint, and then fell flat on his face too.

This cycle has been going for years. It's gonna happen next year too unless something fundamentally changes with the offensive system, player development, and coaching itself.

It literally doesn't matter who starts at QB next year; the result is going to be the same. But I'd rather it at least be Peasley, who has the combination of temperament, physical build, and experience in multiple systems (including a championship-winning one in which he took meaningful snaps).