I hate to post this, but

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

Here is something I heard after the game today. I have heard A. J. Davis is leaving the team as a result of not being able to get along with Coach Schroyer. Sorry, I don't have anything to back this up - it is just something I heard. I do know Schroyer & Davis had words during the game today.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

Good. Opens up a roster spot for somebody better to be recruited. Seeya AJ.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

TheRealUW wrote:Good. Opens up a roster spot for somebody better to be recruited. Seeya AJ.
poop. AJ is twice the team player than Afam. His leaving will hurt.

Nice that Heath gave him about 2 minutes in the first half and NONE in the second.

Further...if that is what we are in for with Heath...I say get rid of him, not AJ.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Danmully
Ranch Hand

Atleast we have been playing close, but I agree it would hurt to lose AJ I think some underrate him. Oh well Im not 100% sure Ill be going to a lot more games before conference tourny. I sure hope we start to put something together because this is lame. Very well could be worse than shroyer's first year, besides the fact we were getting blown out pretty bad then. actually we may have only beat 3 real div I teams this year, so its basically a toss up.
Poke Around
Ranch Hand

TheRealUW wrote:Good. Opens up a roster spot for somebody better to be recruited. Seeya AJ.
Yeah, that would only be six of the recruits that Schroyer has personally recruited to Wyoming that have been run off in three years. No wonder we are always young. Wouldn't want AJ Davis around. He, after all, has a feel for the game, and we'd rather have a bunch of guys running around with no real purpose except to fire up shots and miss them.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

AJ Davis is a decent player. He isn't great. A team player? The dude has 40 turnovers compared to 14 assists. He is shooting 12% from behind the arc. Regardless, I've never liked players who piss and moan about their playing time, especially in public. If you have a problem, that is something that should be taken care of behind closed doors. If AJ wants more minutes, then he needs to go to a team with less talent. Considering we have looked pretty damn bad this year, that probably means transferring to a DII program. Frankly, the guy just isn't that good.
The Road
Ranch Hand

Our guard rotation has been really messed up ever since Bouedo started playing. Desmar and AJ have seen much smaller roles lately. Desmar did play 12 minutes today and really did a nice job IMO.

Minutes the last four games:
AJ: 15, 14, 9, 5.
Desmar: 5, 5, 3, 12
Luster: 35, 31, 31, 27
Bouedo: 21, 21, 24, 12

Davis is averaging 11 points in 23 minutes this season. Prior to this four game stretch he had 18 and 26 point nights against Akron and Adams State.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

Seems to be a pattern to me. No one can get along with Heath.
Just seems to me like its all about Heath and not the team. All you have to do is listen to the interview after every loss to know that
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

TwoTone wrote:Seems to be a pattern to me. No one can get along with Heath.
Just seems to me like its all about Heath and not the team. All you have to do is listen to the interview after every loss to know that
Give me a break. AJ is a good defensive player and an offensive liability. He gets called for more charges than any player I have seen. And it seems to me this is more about AJ if he wants to leave the team. He hasn't exactly earned PT IMO.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

More charges than Muojeke?

Not even close
and to the turnovers Afam had 106 turnovers last season with only 51 assists
this season he is on pace with 54 turnovers and 23 assists and that is after missing 3.5 games.

Davis isn't the only offensive liabilty but he makes up for that with defensive intenisty and passion. And Davis is a liabilty from behind the arc. He makes his free throws and is shootingabout 44% from inside the arc.

When Bouedo was not eligible and Moujeke was hurt it was davis that provided the spark (what spark) the cowboys had.

So after hitting a couple threes against CSu what exactly has Bouedo done to earn PT and a starting role?

Remember last season's game against TCU when Tyson hit a three pointer to send it to overtime and Schroyer took credit like that was a designed play? Hysterical

Dude missed his calling, he should have been some sort of salesman.
JimmyDimes
WyoNation Addict

PL, don't compare Davis to Afam. Afam is a scorer, Davis is not. I'd bet Davis has had more charges than made shots the last three games. And Arthur has cooled down, but he can handle the ball, can penetrate, and goes full throttle on D. He also had the game winning shot against SDSU. IMO, he has deserved his pt.

If we would have made our free throws we win. Bottom line.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

cooled down ?

Bouedo was 5-8 against CSu and since he is 2 of 14....Thats a little better that cool.

Last three games Davis has had 5 turnovers Buoedo has had 6 and Muojeke has had 6...

Afam is a scorer..I guess he scored 16 points on 17 shots..Not real efficient. And while we are talking about charges, had Afam not drove out of control and picked up a charge we may have won as well.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

I stand by my statements. :thumb:
TheRealUW
Cowpoke

I'm not sure where all these comparisons to Afam have come from. Regardless of how good Afam is, I still don't think AJ is that great of a player. If your argument is that AJ is less worse than some of his other teammates, then that is a pretty weak argument. As far as the number of turnovers in the last three games, that is skewed because of the number of minutes played. AJ played 28 minutes; Afam played 98 minutes; and Arthur played 57 minutes. That means AJ averaged a turnover every 5.6 minutes; Afam averaged a turnover every 16.3 minutes; and Arthur averaged a turnover every 9.5 mintues. I'm not saying I want AJ to leave. All I'm saying is if he thinks hes good enough to be seeing the floor more minutes, then go for it. You put him on any of the top teams in the MWC and he might not ever see the floor.

Don't think I'm trying to defend Schroyer either. He's just as much of a crybaby as AJ.
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

Not actually comparing him to the other players as per talnet or minutes but to say he is a turnover machine I pointed out that Afam is and has been more of a turnover machine. It can be argued that Afam's turnovers are more costly because how and when they occur just as his shot selection in attempting 3's from damn near half court are usually bad shots even when they go in.

I have watched Aj play and practice and to call him a crybaby isn't fair. In fact you are assuming that he can't get along with Schroyer based on PT. It may or may not be.

As far as PT I will say that when AJ was placed in action due to Afam's injury he played well when allowed to play through mistakes which hasn't happened since Afam and now Bouedo are available.

I still say that Bouedo hasn't done anything to warrant him being a starter. He played one good game shooting wise against CSU and since has gone 2-14.
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times
Been liked: 2 times

I tried to copy the stats of the game to this board, but couldn't get the (pdf) style to match, so deleted it. Anyway, here is the link to the stats:

http://www.wyomingathletics.com/auto_pd ... /UNM011610

To me, the assists to turnover ratio tells (for the most part) how a player is playing as part of a team and not as an individual. Inexperience sometimes skewes this stat, but some are pretty glaring. Stats aren't everything, but sometimes they tell a big part of the story. This has nothing to do with the AJ Davis/Schroyer story.
I don't have inside information about why AJ and the coach aren't getting along. That is something we may never know.
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
gopokes1399
Blog Team

AJ is a good player and a better athlete we will see if he leaves but his facebook did say he was considering dropping basketball for football
PL_Julian
Buckaroo

If AJ can catch the ball I would love to see him as a reciever or deefensive back with the football team..

He may also have a better shot at pay for play in football after college is over.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

He is fast
gopokes1399
Blog Team

when it comes too after college... he said he is just trying to get paid