Bohl, Future, NIL, Transfer Portal

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

What do we see the future of program the next few years.? I am kind of over the Bohl era especially because of his inability to adapt offensively, But I do think he did a decent job this past year (record wise). I think he will always be a coach that will keep us at the 7-5 area, but no better. The Transfer portal is what will kill us, Bohl has done a good job of recruiting underrated players and developing them, but with the new NIL and transfer rules I think it will be hard for us to keep them 4 years. Hopefully he can poach some power 5 players that are back ups and just looking for opportunities to play. Hopefully Wyoming businesses can step up a little with NIL money. I know my friends company Hypo Footwear which is based in Laramie and Denver is starting to gain a little traction is looking to help WYO players with some NIL money, They have Hunter Maldonado signed this year and are looking to sign more athletes for next season. His websites are hypofootwear.com and hypo307.com for Wyo apparel. I think the NCAA needs to fix all loopholes of NIL and go back to athletes having to sit out a year before playing, things are to out of control right now. I am a capitalist and all for players profiting off of their name, but there needs to be a better process. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Go Pokes.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

For the most part, the MWC was terrible at handing the portal and NIL. The conference was overall one of the worst in the G5 and clearly the worst MWC ever.

On paper, we should have been a MWC bottom-dweller but Bohl seemed to persevere better than most programs in the MWC. That is pretty significant in the new era.

I hate his offense and can't believe he hasn't figured out that a forward pass is okay. However, I'm surprised that his team weathered the transfer/NIL deal better than 3/4 of other MWC teams.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

The transfer rule change (no sitting out) was a move by the NCAA to get ahead of legislation. If they hadn't done that, they likely would have been forced to eventually. As for NIL, their isn't much the NCAA can do now, it's beyond their reach.

Rumors were circulating that the UNC QB that transferred was offered $5 million by 2 different school's NIL groups. That's more than he would make as a 3rd or even 2nd round draft pick. There were many power 5 programs that couldn't compete with that either. To me this pace can't continue, things will need to level off eventually. But who knows...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:36 am The transfer rule change (no sitting out) was a move by the NCAA to get ahead of legislation. If they hadn't done that, they likely would have been forced to eventually. As for NIL, their isn't much the NCAA can do now, it's beyond their reach.

Rumors were circulating that the UNC QB that transferred was offered $5 million by 2 different school's NIL groups. That's more than he would make as a 3rd or even 2nd round draft pick. There were many power 5 programs that couldn't compete with that either. To me this pace can't continue, things will need to level off eventually. But who knows...
That is crazy money. If that's going to be even semi-normal then a group of schools should split off and resurrect amateur athletics in another form.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:56 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 2:36 am The transfer rule change (no sitting out) was a move by the NCAA to get ahead of legislation. If they hadn't done that, they likely would have been forced to eventually. As for NIL, their isn't much the NCAA can do now, it's beyond their reach.

That is crazy money. If that's going to be even semi-normal then a group of schools should split off and resurrect amateur athletics in another form.
No need to split off because it has effectively already happened with the Big10 and SEC. But I'd personally support a decision by UW athletics that it wouldn't participate in any NIL collectives even if that were to relegate us to a lower division. The spend on engaging in an arms race and directly paying 18-22 year old athletes is foolish IMO.

BTW - I heard a rumor that Stephen Buchanan was offered quite a bit of money by Michigan but took less to go to OU.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

[/quote]
No need to split off because it has effectively already happened with the Big10 and SEC. But I'd personally support a decision by UW athletics that it wouldn't participate in any NIL collectives even if that were to relegate us to a lower division. The spend on engaging in an arms race and directly paying 18-22 year old athletes is foolish IMO.

[/quote]

This is reality. If you need further proof - go look at the collective that UW is participating in. It is a joke. Soon enough, the P5 will be down to the P3 of P4. They already functionally have their superconferences. They will have their own governance structure. They will cannibalize everyone else through NIL and the portal and leave us alongside the road. We will be developmental programs for the big guys - we already are. I see two choices: 1) formally drop to FCS; or 2) change the game and reach out to the big guys and say that we will take their 3 and 4* and develop them for them. They agree to let us have them for 2 years while they play their 5* kids. We agree to run their offense and defense and bulk them up in the HAPC and churn out developed kids. They get additional signees to play keep away from the other superconference schools. They agree to some cut of revenue and we get higher tier kids for a little while to fill the stands and have fund. Reality is a bugger - but it still is reality. The better kids will leave anyway...why not use them for a couple of years. We won't have much continuity, but we don't now.

While inartful, we would become a feedlot/finishing operation for the big boys.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:11 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 3:56 pm

BTW - I heard a rumor that Stephen Buchanan was offered quite a bit of money by Michigan but took less to go to OU.
poop. Lead the way and define yourself, or stay the course and let history define you. The G5 (and, perhaps, a few P5 schools) would be in a stronger position if they established solidarity through vision and mission, and gave the middle finger to the NCAA.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Highest paid coach in MWC thru 24, man, 2 years can't fly by soon enough, unless u like medocrity which is the norm at good ole W.Y.O.
Retirement never sounded sooo good...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Wyovanian wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 12:41 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:11 pm

[#]sh#t. Lead the way and define yourself, or stay the course and let history define you. The G5 (and, perhaps, a few P5 schools) would be in a stronger position if they established solidarity through vision and mission, and gave the middle finger to the NCAA.
There are too many delusional G5 programs that believe they are on the precipice of joining the big boys.

The schools who would consider such a move (MAC, CUSA, half of MWC) unfortunately have as much current marketability as the WNBA and thus such a leap of faith would be virtually impossible to justify financially in the short term. We are stuck in purgatory.
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:31 pm

[/quote]

This is reality. If you need further proof - go look at the collective that UW is participating in. It is a joke. Soon enough, the P5 will be down to the P3 of P4. They already functionally have their superconferences. They will have their own governance structure. They will cannibalize everyone else through NIL and the portal and leave us alongside the road. We will be developmental programs for the big guys - we already are. I see two choices: 1) formally drop to FCS; or 2) change the game and reach out to the big guys and say that we will take their 3 and 4* and develop them for them. They agree to let us have them for 2 years while they play their 5* kids. We agree to run their offense and defense and bulk them up in the HAPC and churn out developed kids. They get additional signees to play keep away from the other superconference schools. They agree to some cut of revenue and we get higher tier kids for a little while to fill the stands and have fund. Reality is a bugger - but it still is reality. The better kids will leave anyway...why not use them for a couple of years. We won't have much continuity, but we don't now.

[/quote]Basically Wyoming would be one of the minor league feeder schools, much like minor league baseball. I would go for it (loved going to see the Casper Rockies) but I do not believe it will ever happen.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

Amazing how good passing can look when we can win 50/50 balls
W-Y, Until I Die!
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

doreno5 wrote: Thu Dec 29, 2022 1:19 pm
LawPoke wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 12:31 pm

[/quote]Basically Wyoming would be one of the minor league feeder schools, much like minor league baseball. I would go for it (loved going to see the Casper Rockies) but I do not believe it will ever happen.
[/quote]

At the end of the day, one has to mine the pit. We'd be better off, long-term, drilling a new one.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory