Signing Day

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 239 times

https://7220sports.com/craig-bohl-expec ... t-wyoming/

Looks like all have signed except the QB.
Quarterback - Kaden Anderson - Southlake, Texas

Running back - Keany Parks - Kenosha, Wisconsin

Defensive tackle - Dante Drake - Robinson, Texas

Tight end - Jake Davies - Yorkville, Illinois

Offensive tackle - Quinn Grovesteen - Evansville, Wisconsin

Defensive end - Tell Wade - Wray, Colorado

Defensive tackle - Lucas Samsula - Plano, Texas

Wide receiver - Bricen Brantley - Houston, Texas

Cornerback - Chauncey Carter - Garland, Texas

Defensive back - Ian Bell - La Verne, California

Running back - Harrison Waylee - NIU Transfer
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Lots of Texas @orediggerpoke
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

I don't know what to think about that "class"...9 guys and a transfer, and maybe a 10th with Kaden Anderson. Maybe 'Ol Bohly is playing the portal for the rest, or the late signing period in February? Surely we have 25 or so scholarships to give out...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 am I don't know what to think about that "class"...9 guys and a transfer, and maybe a 10th with Kaden Anderson. Maybe 'Ol Bohly is playing the portal for the rest, or the late signing period in February? Surely we have 25 or so scholarships to give out...
We didn't lose very many players and I think we still have a lot on the roster because of covid. Not sure we even have room for a full 25? I wish someone with knowledge about the subject would chime in.

Anyway, if you read the article above it seems Bohl is "evolving" and intends to use the transfer portal more. I bet we see a few more transfers before it's all said and done.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:44 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:41 am I don't know what to think about that "class"...9 guys and a transfer, and maybe a 10th with Kaden Anderson. Maybe 'Ol Bohly is playing the portal for the rest, or the late signing period in February? Surely we have 25 or so scholarships to give out...
We didn't lose very many players and I think we still have a lot on the roster because of covid. Not sure we even have room for a full 25? I wish someone with knowledge about the subject would chime in.

Anyway, if you read the article above it seems Bohl is "evolving" and intends to use the transfer portal more. I bet we see a few more transfers before it's all said and done.
With the exodus last year, and this year...along with the 3 or 4 that don't have any eligibility (graduates)...it just doesn't make sense to have < 25 IMO.
Dear Karma,

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

Underwhelming class to say the least. Appreciate these kids picking Wyoming. Individually they are prolly good adds, but collectively, this class screams “team that is stale and stagnant”. The lack of excitement surrounding this team is palpable. Recruiting, attendance…all meh. We couldn’t attract a top tier recruit on offense -outside of OL maybe - if our life depended on it.

One WR? Really? Really? One? Holy hell.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:29 am Underwhelming class to say the least. Appreciate these kids picking Wyoming. Individually they are prolly good adds, but collectively, this class screams “team that is stale and stagnant”. The lack of excitement surrounding this team is palpable. Recruiting, attendance…all meh. We couldn’t attract a top tier recruit on offense -outside of OL maybe - if our life depended on it.

First off, I trust Bohl's eye when it comes to recruiting. He has a knack for getting great value and I welcome all the new Pokes! I do not doubt there are some studs in this class - there always are.

But the receiver thing.. yeesh.

Maybe the staff feels good about what we have at WR :eek: lmao
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Also, I might add the QB commit appears to be a big difference maker. We may find in a couple years that all the WRs seem "good" all of the sudden. QB is obviously the most important position

LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:17 am Also, I might add the QB commit appears to be a big difference maker. We may find in a couple years that all the WRs seem "good" all of the sudden. QB is obviously the most important position

I appreciate your optimism. I don’t have any but am actually grateful for those that do. My reality is: This staff has never developed a QB, including Allen, and our WR corps is thin and anemic. To lose Cobbs’ production (which wasn’t even that great) and replace him with a single frosh recruit - considering how god awful our offense was in ‘22 - leaves me dumbfounded. Knowing that Grant is back as WR coach leaves me very concerned, but resigned to the reality that our offense will continue to bore us and generally suck. This was the most down the MW has ever been and we couldn’t score on the worst teams in it (Hawaii, CSU, etc.). We will be lucky to get more than 13 points in most games next season. Thank God for John Hoyland.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

LawPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:45 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 11:17 am Also, I might add the QB commit appears to be a big difference maker. We may find in a couple years that all the WRs seem "good" all of the sudden. QB is obviously the most important position

I appreciate your optimism. I don’t have any but am actually grateful for those that do. My reality is: This staff has never developed a QB, including Allen, and our WR corps is thin and anemic. To lose Cobbs’ production (which wasn’t even that great) and replace him with a single frosh recruit - considering how god awful our offense was in ‘22 - leaves me dumbfounded. Knowing that Grant is back as WR coach leaves me very concerned, but resigned to the reality that our offense will continue to bore us and generally suck. This was the most down the MW has ever been and we couldn’t score on the worst teams in it (Hawaii, CSU, etc.). We will be lucky to get more than 13 points in most games next season. Thank God for John Hoyland.
You are probably correct on all counts. sadly
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:39 am Lots of Texas @orediggerpoke
History supports that half the Texas recruits will go somewhere else in the next few years.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

I’m actually excited to see the small high school class!! Bohl is clearly changing his philosophy.

We need to bring in more portal players because they no longer get the ‘free transfer’ and thus would theoretically be more committed to Wyoming.

Recruiting going forward should be:
1) Regional (CO, NE, WY) high school recruiting. 4-7 recruits per year
2) Midwest High School recruiting (MN, Wisconsin, Illinois). 3-7 recruits per year
3) Transfer portal. 5-10 recruits per year.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

LawPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:29 am Underwhelming class to say the least. Appreciate these kids picking Wyoming. Individually they are prolly good adds, but collectively, this class screams “team that is stale and stagnant”. The lack of excitement surrounding this team is palpable. Recruiting, attendance…all meh. We couldn’t attract a top tier recruit on offense -outside of OL maybe - if our life depended on it.

1. It's the early signing period. The late signing period is going to be more prevelant thanks to the portal.

2. We got a 2nd unexpected WR committ today too.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Another DB! The DBs we have signed are tall, which is awesome. Welcome to Wyoming! I have feeling we have signed some studs to the defensive side of the ball.

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:49 pm Another DB! The DBs we have signed are tall, which is awesome. Welcome to Wyoming! I have feeling we have signed some studs to the defensive side of the ball.

That is where it is at for DB's...fast, quick, and tall. The opposite of the guy that bailed, who is like 5'8".
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

McPeachy wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 3:50 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:49 pm Another DB! The DBs we have signed are tall, which is awesome. Welcome to Wyoming! I have feeling we have signed some studs to the defensive side of the ball.

That is where it is at for DB's...fast, quick, and tall. The opposite of the guy that bailed, who is like 5'8".
5'10, actually.

Anyway, curious on the QB's stats. Not listed on 247 or Rivals. Just wondering if he's a pocket passer or dual threat.

Bohl has a long history of dual threats, which isn't bad in and of itself, but we need a guy that is more than just a mobile cannon arm. He needs to actually hit his targets.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:34 pm I’m actually excited to see the small high school class!! Bohl is clearly changing his philosophy.

We need to bring in more portal players because they no longer get the ‘free transfer’ and thus would theoretically be more committed to Wyoming.

Recruiting going forward should be:
1) Regional (CO, NE, WY) high school recruiting. 4-7 recruits per year
2) Midwest High School recruiting (MN, Wisconsin, Illinois). 3-7 recruits per year
3) Transfer portal. 5-10 recruits per year.
If we analyze the transfers, we can definitely tell which positions are likely to stay. OL/TE/RB and some others can still be recruited from high school. There’s others that seem to transfer once they start standing out. I’d say you need to hit cold weather areas for high schoolers and stay away from Texas/California DE/WR/CB unless they’re from portal. Probably could break it down better but shooting from hip. I think young standouts/superstars might be tough to hold regardless where they’re from but definitely seems California/Texas is worse.

That being said, I hope all these young men stick with us and ball out. Looks like there’s definitely some potential.
W-Y, Until I Die!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Who In their right mind would want to come to this school to play receiver? You’re basically a small offensive lineman.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 pm Who In their right mind would want to come to this school to play receiver? You’re basically a small offensive lineman.
Neyor? Your shtick is old and worn out more so than Bohl's offense. Think about that.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:58 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:46 pm Who In their right mind would want to come to this school to play receiver? You’re basically a small offensive lineman.
Neyor? Your shtick is old and worn out more so than Bohl's offense. Think about that.
Neyor transferred. You’re kidding right? This team hasn’t had a functioning passing offense in four years. It’s leading receiver catches 25 balls for 300 yards in a season. You think kids are lining up for that? You can’t be serious.