Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

It was not intentional. The OU wrestler had a cross-face and kept putting his hand in Zollman's mouth. (Moore did the same thing in the 3rd place match.) We had seven recruits last year and five are still in the program. (Two Tennesse kids left at the same time we lost the asst. coach and two kids to OU) I think next year we will have some growing pains, as we will be very young, but in two years these kids will have a chance to be very good. This year's class is by far the best class ever at UW in my opinion. Just got back from Tulsa, what a great time if you enjoy wrestling. Going back in two weeks for the NCAA Championships.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:07 pm It was not intentional. The OU wrestler had a cross-face and kept putting his hand in Zollman's mouth. (Moore did the same thing in the 3rd place match.) We had seven recruits last year and five are still in the program. (Two Tennesse kids left at the same time we lost the asst. coach and two kids to OU) I think next year we will have some growing pains, as we will be very young, but in two years these kids will have a chance to be very good. This year's class is by far the best class ever at UW in my opinion. Just got back from Tulsa, what a great time if you enjoy wrestling. Going back in two weeks for the NCAA Championships.
The two highest ranked recruits are the ones that departed. Not saying that those rankings necessarily translate who will shine in college but high recruiting classes don't mean much if you can't develop the talent and keep them in the program.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:29 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:04 pm

I'm guessing Hayden was still injured, but tried to give it a go.

I heard there was a biting incident with Zollman. Do you get DQ'd from the whole tourney if you bite? He didn't wrestle the 7-8 place match either and 7 qualified from that weight...
Yes - biting at all levels is DQ from the entire tournament (as it should be). Was wondering about those forfeits. If it was an intentional bite, Zollman should be gone from the program IMO. I have seen a few unintentional bits over the years (i.e. a quick cross face and an accidental closing of the mouth).
I guess the OU wrestler intentionally worked his hand inside zollman's mouth. Sounds like BS. F Oklahoma and their coaches and wrestlers
wyosports
Buckaroo

I would be surprised if at the end of the year either of those kids where rated higher than Volk or Ours. Volk was 42 on Flo p4p.
You are right about keeping them and developing them, not any different than the other sports. Only time will tell, but I have more faith in Branch than any other coach at UW.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

If Stephen Buchanan stuck around this year and wrestled for Wyoming (he's not wrestling this year) I bet he would have been the NCAA champion and become a Wyoming legend. Just our damn luck this NIL poop hits at this time. I don't wish him any future success whatsoever. Hope he never sees the mat for OU

https://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/197
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:59 am If Stephen Buchanan stuck around this year and wrestled for Wyoming (he's not wrestling this year) I bet he would have been the NCAA champion and become a Wyoming legend. Just our damn luck this NIL poop hits at this time. I don't wish him any future success whatsoever. Hope he never sees the mat for OU

https://intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/197
Probably would have been a champion this year. He beat both of the current top 2 ranked wrestlers.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

#bringinmenssoccer

#dumpwrasslin
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:00 am #bringinmenssoccer

#dumpwrasslin
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

#dumpwrasslin
#bringwomen's wrestling...the fastest growing women's high school sport. Find another women's program to cut to save money.
rich22
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 6 times

wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:44 pm I would be surprised if at the end of the year either of those kids where rated higher than Volk or Ours. Volk was 42 on Flo p4p.
You are right about keeping them and developing them, not any different than the other sports. Only time will tell, but I have more faith in Branch than any other coach at UW.
I wish I had the same faith in Branch. I think we started to see the beginning of the end when we started to see all the recruits leaving in bunches. I can't remember the year (maybe 2019) but there were some Kemmerer kids and others. When I was watching my Nephew wrestle in high school I heard multiple times that the word in the Wyo high school circles was that Branch is really really really hard to get along with for any kid. To prove the point they would say some of the local kids stayed at Wyoming but just quit wrestling because of it. This is my opinion but I think even Bryce Meredith didn't get along with Branch. You could tell after each match and press conference. Bryce got along with Coach Kyle it seemed.

I don't think Branch has coached well since 2019. :twocents: Hopefully he can recover but it is looking worse every year, with this year being probably the worst since he was hired IMO. I think if the program was in the spotlight like Basketball and Football he would be on the hotseat for his performance and not being able to retain and develop his wrestlers. Programs like NDSU, SDSU and Northern Iowa have surpassed us. I think the departure of coach Kyle and coach Ware who went to Oklahoma really hurt our program. It might take a while to replace those 2 so maybe eventually Branch can recover. Hopefully.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 am

#dumpwrasslin
#bringwomen's wrestling...the fastest growing women's high school sport. Find another women's program to cut to save money.
If they wrassle topless in G's I am all for it. Talk about income. :rofl:
Dear Karma,

OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 am
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:50 am

Come on man - I know its joking but that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. There are women out there working their butts off to be successful in this traditional grueling men's sport. The level of Women's wrestling (and having watched a few women's tournaments this past year) is really growing by leaps and bounds. These women deserve respect. If you didn't know, Wyoming just hosted its first girls high school state wrestling tournament just 2 weeks ago.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

rich22 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:56 am
wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 3:44 pm I would be surprised if at the end of the year either of those kids where rated higher than Volk or Ours. Volk was 42 on Flo p4p.
I wish I had the same faith in Branch. I think we started to see the beginning of the end when we started to see all the recruits leaving in bunches. I can't remember the year (maybe 2019) but there were some Kemmerer kids and others. When I was watching my Nephew wrestle in high school I heard multiple times that the word in the Wyo high school circles was that Branch is really really really hard to get along with for any kid. To prove the point they would say some of the local kids stayed at Wyoming but just quit wrestling because of it. This is my opinion but I think even Bryce Meredith didn't get along with Branch. You could tell after each match and press conference. Bryce got along with Coach Kyle it seemed.

I don't think Branch has coached well since 2019. :twocents: Hopefully he can recover but it is looking worse every year, with this year being probably the worst since he was hired IMO. I think if the program was in the spotlight like Basketball and Football he would be on the hotseat for his performance and not being able to retain and develop his wrestlers. Programs like NDSU, SDSU and Northern Iowa have surpassed us. I think the departure of coach Kyle and coach Ware who went to Oklahoma really hurt our program. It might take a while to replace those 2 so maybe eventually Branch can recover. Hopefully.
I think you might be spot on. We've really struggled keeping wrestlers in the program over the past 4-5 years. At some point, a reset is healthy for any program. However, what is giving me hope is the way the team competed at the Big 12s compared to the rest of the year. Several matches where Wyoming wrestlers prevailed in the Big 12s after having lost to the same wrestlers earlier in the year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:38 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 11:13 am

Come on man - I know its joking but that's a pretty ridiculous thing to say. There are women out there working their butts off to be successful in this traditional grueling men's sport. The level of Women's wrestling (and having watched a few women's tournaments this past year) is really growing by leaps and bounds. These women deserve respect. If you didn't know, Wyoming just hosted its first girls high school state wrestling tournament just 2 weeks ago.
Ya, I am an insensitive prick, and don't give a poop. I am just not the type to enjoy women's boxing, mma, and now - wrasslin. In fact, I - like almost the entire rest of the USA could give two f-word about women's sports (track and field excluded). So I guess I am chauvinist as well. Meh.
Dear Karma,

wyosports
Buckaroo

I find it funny when people voice their opinion and then throughout names to try and back up it up. I never talk with high school coaches, so I will not speak to that, but the former wrestler from Cheyenne that you say didn't like Branch made me laugh my ass off. (I just texted his dad your comments and will be happy to share his response.) I guess depending on the high school program you would get different thoughts on Branch. However, Gillette seems more than happy to send kids to wrestle for him, and unless things have changed Hastings seems to have a good relationship with him, just based on what I saw last week in Tulsa. It is tuff to compare wrestling with the other sports at UW when the Big 12 has 3 to 4 top 10 programs, and 3 to 4 more in the top 20. The MWC in football and basketball might have two legitimate top 20 teams in a year and both would be at the bottom on list. As someone pointed out in a different thread, UW admin had better start thinking outside the box or it will not matter what sport it is UW will have trouble keeping the top end players. The schools that have contracts with NIL companies use them mainly to help with their star players. (Football-Neyor, Basketball - IKE, Wrestling Buchanan) They find national companies to sponsor these types of players and pay their NIL contracts, and then help the University find local businesses and companies to help with your average starter. There are more and more schools that we compete against using these NIL companies to gain any advantage possible. Since we can't seem to beat them, then maybe we should join them!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 4:21 pm I find it funny when people voice their opinion and then throughout names to try and back up it up. I never talk with high school coaches, so I will not speak to that, but the former wrestler from Cheyenne that you say didn't like Branch made me laugh my ass off. (I just texted his dad your comments and will be happy to share his response.) I guess depending on the high school program you would get different thoughts on Branch. However, Gillette seems more than happy to send kids to wrestle for him, and unless things have changed Hastings seems to have a good relationship with him, just based on what I saw last week in Tulsa. It is tuff to compare wrestling with the other sports at UW when the Big 12 has 3 to 4 top 10 programs, and 3 to 4 more in the top 20. The MWC in football and basketball might have two legitimate top 20 teams in a year and both would be at the bottom on list. As someone pointed out in a different thread, UW admin had better start thinking outside the box or it will not matter what sport it is UW will have trouble keeping the top end players. The schools that have contracts with NIL companies use them mainly to help with their star players. (Football-Neyor, Basketball - IKE, Wrestling Buchanan) They find national companies to sponsor these types of players and pay their NIL contracts, and then help the University find local businesses and companies to help with your average starter. There are more and more schools that we compete against using these NIL companies to gain any advantage possible. Since we can't seem to beat them, then maybe we should join them!
I'm not making any comments on Branch's relationship with wrestlers, I have no knowledge. But the turnover rate and inability to keep wrestlers in the program (for whatever reason that may be) is concerning and ultimately falls on the head coach.

But the MWC in basketball to wrestling in the Big 12 comparison for top 20 programs is a bit silly...there are 78 division 1 wrestling programs...there are 351 D1 basketball programs. Based on those numbers 2 top 20 teams in basketball is much more impressive than 4 top 20 teams in wrestling for a given conference. Yes, the Big 12 is a good wrestling conference but it is still way behind the Big 10.
wyosports
Buckaroo

I guess if you think the MWC in football and basketball is on par with the big 12 in wrestling, then we will have to agree to disagree. You said you were concerned about all turnover in the program, so I was thinking about anyone who left the program with eligibility left and was a starter and the only two I can come up with is the 184 from last year who competed for 4 years, and the 197 this year. Is there anyone I have missed. I know there has been turnover, but if you are 2nd or 3rd string you are probably never getting in the lineup. I believe there was 3 125 pounders to leave this year because of Volk. They were never going to beat him.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:51 pm
You said you were concerned about all turnover in the program, so I was thinking about anyone who left the program with eligibility left and was a starter and the only two I can come up with is the 184 from last year who competed for 4 years, and the 197 this year. Is there anyone I have missed.
You missed a lot… here are just some starters with eligibility that I recall leaving off the top of my head from the last several years: Cale Davidson, Sam Turner, Montorie Bridges, Trent Olsen, Carless Looney, Gage Hockett, Casey Randles, Analu Benabise

I’m sure there are more.

But the list of freshmen who have come in and redshirted and then left the next year is even bigger.
wyosports
Buckaroo

Your list is very interesting and makes my point. Of all the people you listed only Bridges was a starter who could have returned for his fourth year, (went to law school and never wrestled again, not like he transferred.) Davidson lost his job to Buchanan who was a freshman at the time and new there was not a spot for him to wrestle at UW, transferred to Nebraska and finally broke the lineup this year as a HWT. Turner was removed from the team for repeated violations, and the others you listed never were starters. I have to laugh that you listed Hockett who transferred to OU, he now sits behind the best freshman 174 pounder in the country. (He got bad advise) Like I said before there have been kids who have left the program, but most of them new they would never have beat out the wrestlers in front of them. Most kids that wrestle do not want to train year-round to be part of the program for four years and never get the chance to compete. There is an old joke in wrestling that if you are not first, then you are last.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

wyosports wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:31 am Your list is very interesting and makes my point. Of all the people you listed only Bridges was a starter who could have returned for his fourth year, (went to law school and never wrestled again, not like he transferred.) Davidson lost his job to Buchanan who was a freshman at the time and new there was not a spot for him to wrestle at UW, transferred to Nebraska and finally broke the lineup this year as a HWT. Turner was removed from the team for repeated violations, and the others you listed never were starters. I have to laugh that you listed Hockett who transferred to OU, he now sits behind the best freshman 174 pounder in the country. (He got bad advise) Like I said before there have been kids who have left the program, but most of them new they would never have beat out the wrestlers in front of them. Most kids that wrestle do not want to train year-round to be part of the program for four years and never get the chance to compete. There is an old joke in wrestling that if you are not first, then you are last.
All of them were starters at various points. All of them had potential to be good wrestlers for Wyoming. You're just making excuses for the revolving door of wrestlers we've seen at Wyoming over the past several years.

If the answer is "they sucked or couldn't hack it," (as you seem to indicate) then that means we don't know how to recruit and that also falls on the head coach.. Either way, the head coach should be accountable.