Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:43 am
McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 am

Interesting. Competitive hockey is one of the most physically & athletically demanding sports there is. To put a bunch of "not good enough" athletes on the ice is doing a major disservice to them as individuals, and to hockey as a sport.
Think about it this way. Like 90%+ of kids at least try basketball at some point in their lives, I would guess. The good ones stick with it, join leagues and end up playing. So out of 90%+ of a population you're going to capture the very best athletes.

How many do you suppose even try hockey... ever? fewer than 5% of kids? Other than places like minnesota, where a good number of kids actually do it, anyone that wants to do it, and has the $$$, can play at a "high level". It's simply a numbers game. It's like calling an Olympic bobsledder a world class athlete.

There's like what , three black people in the entire NHL?
By definition, an Olympic bobsledder is a world class athlete. I think you are conflating general physical prowess with a specific athletic discipline. Different competitive sports require a lot of domains of expertise and for some sports there may be lots of crossover (for example most racket sports), while others have very little (like wrestling and water polo).

I think your numbers are off on the % of kids that try basketball...90% is waaaay to high...but your point is a good one. It is very unlikely that the best of the best basketball players get overlooked in the United States...or the entire world for that matter. Probably the same with Soccer. Football? Ice Hockey? I bet a lot of would be amazing football players and hockey players either never get an opportunity or opt out (lots of parents don't let their kids play either sport due to head injury risk) of the competitive pool of talent. I think that changes over time though...More kids are into soccer than ever before....and it's not slowing down.

Years ago (back in the page2 ESPN heyday), ESPN did a write up on the most difficult sport. Obviously a tough thing to quantify. It's an interesting read and you can find it with a simple google search, but, interestingly, Ice Hocky came in second behind Boxing. I think with the advent of MMA nowadays, it may be behind that as well. But nonetheless...competitive Ice hockey is pretty high on the athletic ability scale. It's also a lot of fun to watch.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

307bball wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:08 am

Think about it this way. Like 90%+ of kids at least try basketball at some point in their lives, I would guess. The good ones stick with it, join leagues and end up playing. So out of 90%+ of a population you're going to capture the very best athletes.

How many do you suppose even try hockey... ever? fewer than 5% of kids? Other than places like minnesota, where a good number of kids actually do it, anyone that wants to do it, and has the $$$, can play at a "high level". It's simply a numbers game. It's like calling an Olympic bobsledder a world class athlete.

By definition, an Olympic bobsledder is a world class athlete. I think you are conflating general physical prowess with a specific athletic discipline. Different competitive sports require a lot of domains of expertise and for some sports there may be lots of crossover (for example most racket sports), while others have very little (like wrestling and water polo).

I think your numbers are off on the % of kids that try basketball...90% is waaaay to high...but your point is a good one. It is very unlikely that the best of the best basketball players get overlooked in the United States...or the entire world for that matter. Probably the same with Soccer. Football? Ice Hockey? I bet a lot of would be amazing football players and hockey players either never get an opportunity or opt out (lots of parents don't let their kids play either sport due to head injury risk) of the competitive pool of talent. I think that changes over time though...More kids are into soccer than ever before....and it's not slowing down.

Years ago (back in the page2 ESPN heyday), ESPN did a write up on the most difficult sport. Obviously a tough thing to quantify. It's an interesting read and you can find it with a simple google search, but, interestingly, Ice Hocky came in second behind Boxing. I think with the advent of MMA nowadays, it may be behind that as well. But nonetheless...competitive Ice hockey is pretty high on the athletic ability scale. It's also a lot of fun to watch.
This has nothing to do with crappy athletes end up playing hockey and vice versa. It is a simple result of economics and sport access. Hockey is VERY EXPENSIVE for youth. See what ice time and equipment costs. Bobsledding is probably the most expensive sport of any olympic sports. Many parents would love to have their kids play hockey but it isn't fiscally possible. Lacrosse and golf are also relatively expensive sports. It costs nothing to go to the park and kick a soccer ball around and free to use basketball hoops can be found in every city in the US.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:12 am

Interesting. Competitive hockey is one of the most physically & athletically demanding sports there is. To put a bunch of "not good enough" athletes on the ice is doing a major disservice to them as individuals, and to hockey as a sport.

Great point highlighted...ya, it is a skill sport, you have to want to put on blades, on ice, go fast, and take a hit. The opposite of soccer. I am assuming you have never laced up...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 10:39 am

Great point highlighted...ya, it is a skill sport, you have to want to put on blades, on ice, go fast, and take a hit. The opposite of soccer. I am assuming you have never laced up...
Having played both hockey and soccer on youth teams early in life...both are skill sports and both have differing and demanding physical requirements. I personally enjoyed hockey more as a kid but my middle class earning parents with 4 kids couldn't afford the continued costs when I was growing up and was told it just wasn't feasible. The costs have only continued to increase (along with other sports). It is also disheartening to see the insane costs for a kid looking to get into alpine skiing (thankfully Wyoming resorts are still somewhat affordable for middle class earners).
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

I did not lace up the skates. Never tried hockey. I was busy doing other sports, and my family probably didn't have the time/money. Think my brother asked once and they said 'no'. I just never have gotten into hockey. To each their own. At least hockey players aren't P******.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Anyway, the wrestling is not good. Hastings is injured, Wright drops close, winnable matches right and left. Moody rarely puts up a fight against good opponents, Greenwood can never win the big one against a ranked opponent. Everyone else is just utterly overmatched EXCEPT for Volk, who is getting better and better as the year goes on. He's really getting the hang of collegiate style (vs his sucess in freestyle). College wrestling is often a big adjustment for freshmen. I think he's a dark horse AA candidate. I'm excited for Jore going forward.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:14 am

I did not lace up the skates. Never tried hockey. I was busy doing other sports, and my family probably didn't have the time/money. Think my brother asked once and they said 'no'. I just never have gotten into hockey. To each their own. At least hockey players aren't P******.
LOL - very true.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Wyoming wins 3 matches and loses to one of the worst teams in the country Cal-Baptist 10-22 at home. Lone bright spot this year Jore Volk was majored by an unranked wrestler. How this program fell to its current place is beyond me.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:28 pm Wyoming wins 3 matches and loses to one of the worst teams in the country Cal-Baptist 10-22 at home. Lone bright spot this year Jore Volk was majored by an unranked wrestler. How this program fell to its current place is beyond me.
Unreal. We suck
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:28 pm Wyoming wins 3 matches and loses to one of the worst teams in the country Cal-Baptist 10-22 at home. Lone bright spot this year Jore Volk was majored by an unranked wrestler. How this program fell to its current place is beyond me.
You seem to be more in tune with the wrestling program, so with what the Cowboys were doing with this program, having it rolling, what has happened? I don't follow it nearly as closely as you do.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

SDPokeFan wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 2:21 pm
You seem to be more in tune with the wrestling program, so with what the Cowboys were doing with this program, having it rolling, what has happened? I don't follow it nearly as closely as you do.
I honestly don’t have any ins with the program other than I try to catch as many matches as I can. Losing Buchanan to the portal (one of the best wrestlers in the country) is obviously a massive loss…but the team isn’t even competitive despite decent recruiting classes from a ranking perspective and despite having several wrestlers with multiple years of experience in the program. This is one of the worst wrestling teams in all of D1 and definitely the worst team Wyoming has had from a results standpoint over the past 30 years or so.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

The team deserves some credit for the way it stepped up after the embarrassing loss to Cal-Baptist. Wyoming rolled UVSU (not a good team) and was very competitive with Northern Colorado (ranked #19) with most matches being very close. Maybe we can score some upsets at the Big 12s and qualify more than just Volk and Wright for the NCAAs.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Feb 06, 2023 1:12 pm The team deserves some credit for the way it stepped up after the embarrassing loss to Cal-Baptist. Wyoming rolled UVSU (not a good team) and was very competitive with Northern Colorado (ranked #19) with most matches being very close. Maybe we can score some upsets at the Big 12s and qualify more than just Volk and Wright for the NCAAs.
Very true. The team was inspired this weekend
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Another good effort tonight against a good Oregon State team. The OSU 125 pounder ranked 6th dodged Volk and didn’t wrestle. Volk, Greenwood, and Wright won, and good effort by Ricks and Q Short.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Pokes to send Volk, Wright and Moody to NCAAs. Hastings had a very poor showing in Big 12s (surprising for a senior who had qualified before - perhaps rusty).
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

He was hurt but wanted to give it a shot. Wrestling with one arm. The good news is we have 5 maybe 6 really good recruits coming next year.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:13 am Pokes to send Volk, Wright and Moody to NCAAs. Hastings had a very poor showing in Big 12s (surprising for a senior who had qualified before - perhaps rusty).
I'm guessing Hayden was still injured, but tried to give it a go.

I heard there was a biting incident with Zollman. Do you get DQ'd from the whole tourney if you bite? He didn't wrestle the 7-8 place match either and 7 qualified from that weight...
Last edited by LanderPoke on Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:02 pm He was hurt but wanted to give it a shot. Wrestling with one arm. The good news is we have 5 maybe 6 really good recruits coming next year.
We had 5-6 this past year and I think 3 are already gone from the program. Hope these ones work out better
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:04 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:13 am Pokes to send Volk, Wright and Moody to NCAAs. Hastings had a very poor showing in Big 12s (surprising for a senior who had qualified before - perhaps rusty).
I'm guessing Hayden was still injured, but tried to give it a go.

I heard there was a biting incident with Zollman. Do you get DQ'd from the whole tourney if you bite? He didn't wrestle the 7-8 place match either and 7 qualified from that weight...
Yes - biting at all levels is DQ from the entire tournament (as it should be). Was wondering about those forfeits. If it was an intentional bite, Zollman should be gone from the program IMO. I have seen a few unintentional bits over the years (i.e. a quick cross face and an accidental closing of the mouth).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:05 pm
wyosports wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:02 pm He was hurt but wanted to give it a shot. Wrestling with one arm. The good news is we have 5 maybe 6 really good recruits coming next year.
We had 5-6 this past year and I think 3 are already gone from the program. Hope these ones work out better
Yes - the direction of the program is concerning. At least the team wrestled its best tournament of the year at the Big12s (in prior years, we wrestled our worst). If Wyoming was to dual Western Wyoming this year, Western Wyoming might prevail.

One shocking stat - - California Baptist scored 1 total team point at the Big12s...the same CBU team we lost a dual to. I'd imagine that the 1 point is an all-time record low for the Big 12 tourney.