Wyoming Wrestling

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 586 times
Been liked: 236 times

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 10:56 am Interesting thread from Mark Branch this morning on the Twitter, give it a click to read all of his thoughts.
Some comments alluding to Branch working the kids too hard and making life miserable, thus kids not sticking around.
wyosports
Buckaroo
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

That is funny, coach is working them too hard. Sounds like the little kitty from Tenn. that quiet. As I said in a different post the only two wrestlers that I can think of that left with eligibility left and started are Buchanan, and the 184# from last year that went to grad school. (I guess the 149# from this year, but I think we have transfer coming in at that weight.) All these guys leaving in the portal new they would never get into the lineup. If you don't like to work hard wrestling isn't for you!
wyosports
Buckaroo

It is getting dirty out there, people (schools) trying to lure Volk. I have heard that he likes being at UW, hope he can resist there offers.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyosports wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 5:28 pm It is getting dirty out there, people (schools) trying to lure Volk. I have heard that he likes being at UW, hope he can resist there offers.
That’s what I was afraid of. I really hope he stays. The portal is a freaking disaster for us
wyosports
Buckaroo

Good news, Volk registered today for the U-20 men's freestyle US Open Championship, (57 kg Jore Volk Wyoming Wyoming Wrestling Reg Training Ctr) I think he is here to stay, lots of Minnesota boys going to be a part of the program and in the lineup very soon.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 31 times

Looks like a few guys are in the hopper for next season:
ImageImageImageImage
wyosports
Buckaroo

Yes, these guys plus three more studs that aren’t listed. Also, already have a commitment from jr. from Minnesota that is a top 50 recruit. Only time will tell, but I am excited for the future. I love Volk for his heart and relentless effort, but if you want to see how athletic he is go check out the video on coach McCad Ford’s twitter account, IMO he will be a all-time great! Already a world champion, next NCAA champion!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Been liked: 31 times

Saw this commitment this morning:

ImageImageImageImage
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

MrTitleist wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 am Saw this commitment this morning:

Looks like an NCAA qualifier in 2022. Nice. Welcome to Wyoming
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 11:05 am
MrTitleist wrote: Wed Apr 12, 2023 10:09 am Saw this commitment this morning:

Looks like an NCAA qualifier in 2022. Nice. Welcome to Wyoming
An Ohio guy who wrestled for Edinboro who is also an academic all-american. Seems to be a good get; wonder how this signing came about.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Mark and Jore stopped by my kids' practice yesterday. That was nice of them and it meant a lot to the kiddos! That's how you build a fan base

CowboyUp
Buckaroo

I talked to Zollman 149. He only had good things to say about Wyoming and coaches. Going to grad schiool for masters in teaching in state where he wants to end up coaching. Saw him work a clinic, he will be a good coach
wyosports
Buckaroo

Looks like we got another transfer from Edinboro, 141# who also is a NCAA qualifier. He went to high school in Pennsylvania and won some big matches and tournaments as a senior. We are adding some quality depth. Go pokes!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

The RMAC announced it will begin sponsoring women’s wrestling next year as a conference. Wyoming needs to get a program ASAP!! Why we are behind the curve on this, I don’t understand.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:33 pm The RMAC announced it will begin sponsoring women’s wrestling next year as a conference. Wyoming needs to get a program ASAP!! Why we are behind the curve on this, I don’t understand.
My nine year old daughter started this year. She enjoyed it
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Apr 20, 2023 7:33 pm The RMAC announced it will begin sponsoring women’s wrestling next year as a conference. Wyoming needs to get a program ASAP!! Why we are behind the curve on this, I don’t understand.
Good point, facilities are already there. Maybe because it isn't an NCAA sanctioned sport yet... not sure.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:57 am
Good point, facilities are already there. Maybe because it isn't an NCAA sanctioned sport yet... not sure.
It's a no brainer. It is currently the fastest growing girls high school sport. The first current men's D1 programs to establish women's programs are going to establish the upper hand. As you point out, the facilities are there so the costs are low. It's great for title IX compliance. ...but instead we will let schools like Colorado Mesa lead the way and continue to host a golf program which never actually plays on the home course.
wyosports
Buckaroo

Volk wrestling tomorrow in the championship of the U-20 national tournament. First step in making the US national team and defending his world championship. Match will be live on flowrestling tomorrow night at 5, for anyone wanting to watch. Love seeing him with that bucking horse on his singlet, representing UW.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

wyosports wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:21 pm Volk wrestling tomorrow in the championship of the U-20 national tournament. First step in making the US national team and defending his world championship. Match will be live on flowrestling tomorrow night at 5, for anyone wanting to watch. Love seeing him with that bucking horse on his singlet, representing UW.
Jore got 2nd. He lost to a stud. Great tourney for him.

Someone named Cole Brooks got fourth. He'll be coming to wrestle at UW next year. Awesome!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon May 01, 2023 9:07 am
wyosports wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 9:21 pm Volk wrestling tomorrow in the championship of the U-20 national tournament. First step in making the US national team and defending his world championship. Match will be live on flowrestling tomorrow night at 5, for anyone wanting to watch. Love seeing him with that bucking horse on his singlet, representing UW.
Jore got 2nd. He lost to a stud. Great tourney for him.

Someone named Cole Brooks got fourth. He'll be coming to wrestle at UW next year. Awesome!
https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Wrestling/F ... yle-finals

It's a bit of a bummer he can't defend his world championship.