Is Bohl Still Our Head Coach?

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

And around the mwc it looks like unlv is putting together a very nice coaching staff and Boise just hired a new OC and we're still who we are with the same staff. Depressing.
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:23 pm And around the mwc it looks like unlv is putting together a very nice coaching staff and Boise just hired a new OC and we're still who we are with the same staff. Depressing.
Still pining for the days of new, young head coaches like Dimel, Koening, and Christensen when we couldn't block or tackle and a .500 season was impressively successful instead of boring winning seasons and playing meaningful games in November in rebuilding years?

I swear, this board would want to fire a coach after a National Championship if there weren't enough SportsCenter highlights after the game.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

WyoExpat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:08 am
PokesArePeopleToo wrote: Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:23 pm And around the mwc it looks like unlv is putting together a very nice coaching staff and Boise just hired a new OC and we're still who we are with the same staff. Depressing.
Still pining for the days of new, young head coaches like Dimel, Koening, and Christensen when we couldn't block or tackle and a .500 season was impressively successful instead of boring winning seasons and playing meaningful games in November in rebuilding years?

I swear, this board would want to fire a coach after a National Championship if there weren't enough SportsCenter highlights after the game.
This is one of the dumber takes I’ve seen in a while. That’s really what you’re getting out of this?
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Subcanis wrote: Sat Dec 17, 2022 6:56 am
WyoExpat wrote: Fri Dec 16, 2022 9:08 am

This is one of the dumber takes I’ve seen in a while. That’s really what you’re getting out of this?
This is a conundrum isn't it? We all can pretty much see that Bohl probably can't get us to where we want to be. But the program is not "scorched earth" level bad where it makes sense just to kick all the bums out. Need to move forward with a bit of care. It's a different situation than the end of the Koening era for sure.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

How about we just start by showing Grant the door…
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Grant needs to go (the dude is the worst position coach on the team and still ends up getting promoted....mind-boggling).

But we could have the best WR coach on the planet and it wouldn't matter if we continue to run the exact same offensive scheme and continue to be unable to develop QBs.

Instead, we run one of the least successful and most outdated offensive systems in modern CFB, which stunts the development of some fairly talented QBs....and causes any WR with any talent that surprisingly made it here in the first place to bail.

Grant needs to be the first to go, but he's also the tip of the iceberg.
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Dana Dimel didn’t have a losing year at UW. Dave Christensen had 8 wins in a regular season. The argument against them isn’t that great. Prime BSU, Utah, BYU, and TCU was tough. Dimel would have had a bowl game each year in the current system.

Christensen had to play a team ( Texas ) that played in the title game. We can do better than Bohl. His offense sucks and his schedules have been soft. He literally took the best QB in the world and got us to the potato bowl for his 8th win. That sucks.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

marcuswyo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:54 pm Dana Dimel didn’t have a losing year at UW. Dave Christensen had 8 wins in a regular season. The argument against them isn’t that great. Prime BSU, Utah, BYU, and TCU was tough. Dimel would have had a bowl game each year in the current system.

Christensen had to play a team ( Texas ) that played in the title game. We can do better than Bohl. His offense sucks and his schedules have been soft. He literally took the best QB in the world and got us to the potato bowl for his 8th win. That sucks.
Dimel rode Roach's players throughout his tenure, and tanked at his new job when he got hired away.

Dave Christensen had 2 winning seasons, and some of the worst defenses (and most predictable offenses) we ever had. Prime Utah, BYU, and TCU (barring one season) ate him alive. And did you remember the score of that Texas game? Yeah, we kept it close for a half, then got buried alive in the second. Moral victories all the way,
aranderson
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

fromolwyoming wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 11:30 pm
marcuswyo wrote: Thu Dec 22, 2022 9:54 pm Dana Dimel didn’t have a losing year at UW. Dave Christensen had 8 wins in a regular season. The argument against them isn’t that great. Prime BSU, Utah, BYU, and TCU was tough. Dimel would have had a bowl game each year in the current system.

Dimel rode Roach's players throughout his tenure, and tanked at his new job when he got hired away.

Dave Christensen had 2 winning seasons, and some of the worst defenses (and most predictable offenses) we ever had. Prime Utah, BYU, and TCU (barring one season) ate him alive. And did you remember the score of that Texas game? Yeah, we kept it close for a half, then got buried alive in the second. Moral victories all the way,
You mean he rode Tillers players? Sorry I had to lol
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

Dave Christensen had 2 winning seasons, and some of the worst defenses (and most predictable offenses) we ever had
His offense was a 1000 times more unpredictable than what Bohl puts out there. Dimel won with what he had every year. Bohl won with Gentry, Maulhardt, and Roullier. We should hold that against him since he hasn’t put out an offense without the previous coaches talent.
Expat_Poke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 3 times

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 11:28 am
Dave Christensen had 2 winning seasons, and some of the worst defenses (and most predictable offenses) we ever had
His offense was a 1000 times more unpredictable than what Bohl puts out there. Dimel won with what he had every year. Bohl won with Gentry, Maulhardt, and Roullier. We should hold that against him since he hasn’t put out an offense without the previous coaches talent.
You prefer DC to Bohl? From previous posts it seems you have a win at any cost mentality. DC is a perfect example of why you don't want that. The academic shenanigans he tried to pull, forget him. DC never sniffed playing for a division let alone conference championship and he had years in the watered down MW as well.
Returned from my 4 year exodus in Greenieville
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

DC, Bohl, and Glenn are all about the same. Paying the Bohl the highest salary in the conference for mediocrity is pointless. My as well bring in a Glenn type coach. At least he could play the piano.
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

marcuswyo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 pm DC, Bohl, and Glenn are all about the same. Paying the Bohl the highest salary in the conference for mediocrity is pointless. My as well bring in a Glenn type coach. At least he could play the piano.
...and beat P5's. Five times.
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Wyovanian wrote: Mon Dec 26, 2022 10:12 am
marcuswyo wrote: Fri Dec 23, 2022 7:05 pm DC, Bohl, and Glenn are all about the same. Paying the Bohl the highest salary in the conference for mediocrity is pointless. My as well bring in a Glenn type coach. At least he could play the piano.
...and beat P5's. Five times.
great...also went 9-15 combined against UNLV, CSU, AFA and UNM....Yeah...let's go back to that.

Get back to me about beating 4 P5 teams that can't get over .500 when you can at least go .500 against the back half of the MWC.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

For whatever reason, I felt the need to relive the Flyboy rant. I'm actually having a hard time finding it but I did find this old gem:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UFi3mEXcUs8
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

Bohl at least beat Mizzou. DC went 0-fer while here. Came close against Nebraska one year, but was still a loss.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

DC, Bohl, and Glenn are merely similar symptoms of an underlying disease. Until the disease is cured, trying to treat the symptoms is useless.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 4:46 am DC, Bohl, and Glenn are merely similar symptoms of an underlying disease. Until the disease is cured, trying to treat the symptoms is useless.
Agreed. Here is my question...How much of the underlying disease is even within the control of the leadership at Wyoming? Is the role of mid-major (or if we are being brutally honest, low-major) programs just to exist to flesh out the schedules of "real" programs and lesser attractive broadcast deals?
ELKMT
A Real Cowboy

The bar we need to pass is winning a conference championship. This likely wasn’t possible during the Glenn and DC years due to TCU and Utah becoming major players in college football ( Hell, Utah beat Alabama in a bowl, TCU and UU both had seasons finishing ranked 2nd in the country ). That is not the case in this current conference. f-word Utah State and SJSU won recent conference championships, why can’t we? I’d rather have a coach come in one year and win a championship and flounder out than continue to have 7-5 regular seasons where our defense carries the team and the offense let’s us down.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer

marcuswyo wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:01 pm The bar we need to pass is winning a conference championship. This likely wasn’t possible during the Glenn and DC years due to TCU and Utah becoming major players in college football ( Hell, Utah beat Alabama in a bowl, TCU and UU both had seasons finishing ranked 2nd in the country ). That is not the case in this current conference. f##k[#] Utah State and SJSU won recent conference championships, why can’t we? I’d rather have a coach come in one year and win a championship and flounder out than continue to have 7-5 regular seasons where our defense carries the team and the offense let’s us down.
Our main issue is a lack of a consistent passing game. Run game? We've been producing 1,000 yard rushers for several years now (starting with Brian Hill who set tons of records). O-line, up and down. Sometimes they just bowl over even highly rated defenses. Other times, they can't block 3 guys. QBs, well, Peasely has been Bohl's second best QB in terms of passing. That's about half the issue. TEs tend to be solid, at the very least. WRs, well, outside of Neyor, no one has been that real #1. Some decent #2 or #3 guys, but no stand outs.