Arizona Bowl

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:19 pm I think we’ll win
Of course. We've owned the MAC in our 2 bowl games and every regular season game we've played them in for the last 5 years. I know it's not a big sample size but that conference is crap.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

Awaiting for the mass exodus of players and coaches afterwards, feel major shakeups coming up
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 74 times
Been liked: 80 times

stymeman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 am Awaiting for the mass exodus of players and coaches afterwards, feel major shakeups coming up
I'm torn about the major shakeup...part of me has a similar feeling. The other part says that Bohl has indicated that he had a great time coaching up this team - hopefully most of which are coming back next year. The recruiting coordinator's departure could be read to say that changes are afoot...or that he wanted to move on or that Bohl wasn't excited about his work. I'd guess the latter, considering the lack of current commits, but who knows.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

LawPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 8:40 am
stymeman wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:03 am Awaiting for the mass exodus of players and coaches afterwards, feel major shakeups coming up
I'm torn about the major shakeup...part of me has a similar feeling. The other part says that Bohl has indicated that he had a great time coaching up this team - hopefully most of which are coming back next year. The recruiting coordinator's departure could be read to say that changes are afoot...or that he wanted to move on or that Bohl wasn't excited about his work. I'd guess the latter, considering the lack of current commits, but who knows.
Interesting take.... Recruiting has and will drastically change with NIL and Portal so perhaps Bohl is looking for someone who can approach it from that angle.
I'm good for 3!
cowpoke pride
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 7 times

I think the Cowboys got the best of the always crappy MWC bowls this year. Our 2 tie-ins against P5 conferences netted us the 6th place team from the Big XII and the 7th place team from (a loaded) PAC 12. Our only matchup against the American (best G5 conference) gets us a 6-6, 8th place Memphis.

Ohio, who won their division, and with the most wins of any MWC bowl opponent at 9, in Tucson (infinitely better than Boise or ABQ), is in my opinion the best bowl scenario of the season for the conference. Sure would be nice if the Arizona Bowl had a TV deal.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Question is...will UW have a team left to field? Bohl needs to change his ways when it comes to recruiting. Will somebody please tell that MF'er to spend a bit more time in Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakotas, Michigan, Iowa...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 pm Question is...will UW have a team left to field? Bohl needs to change his ways when it comes to recruiting. Will somebody please tell that MF'er to spend a bit more time in Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakotas, Michigan, Iowa...
You got to go where the players are. Like it or not there are more college level players in Texas than almost any other state. (possibly Florida and California have more).
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

doreno5 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:27 pm
McPeachy wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:35 pm Question is...will UW have a team left to field? Bohl needs to change his ways when it comes to recruiting. Will somebody please tell that MF'er to spend a bit more time in Illinois, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Dakotas, Michigan, Iowa...
You got to go where the players are. Like it or not there are more college level players in Texas than almost any other state. (possibly Florida and California have more).
There is no point to go there if those players don't stick around. Develop them for a few years so they can go to some other program? That is a big waste of money and time. We have enough data to show that Texas is a complete waste of time for our program in terms of HS athletes (transfer athletes makes a lot more sense).
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

Why even recruit High school kids with the way the portal works. It's not advantageous for schools like Wyo to invest in players that can freely enter the portal. We should only be going after portal players as you only get one transfer without penalty.

Doesn't matter who is playing for us because we don't put names on the back of the jersey's anyway ;)
I'm good for 3!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 116 times

The injuries and transfers make this a little less appealing to go.

Still might go. Any word on UW bowl events yet (day, times, etc.)?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 291 times
Been liked: 115 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:45 pm
Why even recruit High school kids with the way the portal works. It's not advantageous for schools like Wyo to invest in players that can freely enter the portal. We should only be going after portal players as you only get one transfer without penalty.

Doesn't matter who is playing for us because we don't put names on the back of the jersey's anyway ;)
Couldn't agree more!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy

Ohio at -3? I'll take that action all day considering what's going on in the Wyo locker room.
I'm good for 3!
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 82 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:30 pm Ohio at -3? I'll take that action all day considering what's going on in the Wyo locker room.
I know but my heart won't let me actually place those bets.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Cornpoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 3:30 pm Ohio at -3? I'll take that action all day considering what's going on in the Wyo locker room.
I watched portions of the MAC Championship game. I like Wyoming's chances. Their backup QB was not impressive.
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

To me most bowl games have become meaningless. There are way too many. Too many players entering the transfer portal, too many refusing to play because an injury could affect their draft prospects. The team playing the bowl game isn’t necessarily the same team that earned the bowl game. It’s time to just do away with them and go to a playoff system for all.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

ZapPoke wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:58 pm To me most bowl games have become meaningless. There are way too many. Too many players entering the transfer portal, too many refusing to play because an injury could affect their draft prospects. The team playing the bowl game isn’t necessarily the same team that earned the bowl game. It’s time to just do away with them and go to a playoff system for all.
I was talking to a coworker and if more realignment happens with playoff expansion, conference championships should be done away with unless you make it the first round of the playoff. The big 12 championship was meaningless as TCU still made it into the playoff . The playoff gets big enough , you take the division winners of the 3 big conferences and then some smaller conference champs and at large teams. Why play that extra game when the playoff is the goal? You don’t make the division champs play a championship game before the playoffs in the nfl.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 42 times

It's unfortunate that this bowl won't be seen by our Statewide clientele on TV unless I'm discounting the saavyness of Wyo fans downloading the app to their smartphone or smart tv. If so that's cool, but it doesn't truly help on recruiting as well errrrr wait transfer portal clientele that want to don the Brown and Gold. Extremely interesting where college football has gone and is continuing to go...that or maybe the game is bypassing us older fuddy duddies that our loyalty doesn't mean as much as it once did. Unless I buy apparel and tickets, afterall isn't it about chasing the mighty dollar anymore?
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times
Been liked: 15 times

cowpoke pride wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 12:48 pm Tucson (infinitely better than Boise or ABQ)
I happen to like Albuquerque better than Tucson, but can agree on not liking a bowl in Boise :whistle: