Brent Vigen's team hosting ESPN's College GameDay

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyoExpat
Cowpoke
Been liked: 1 time

Watching ESPN's College GameDay from Montana State in Bozeman, Montana this morning and I can't help but reflect on how loud our fans were in insisting that Brent Vigen was simply a bad coach and demanding that we had to get rid of him. ESPN doesn't take GameDay to a school with a simply bad coach. Perhaps we could show a little more humility and circumspection before declaring our people incompetent?

I note the thread calling for Reece Monaco's head on this board too. I have been listening to Reece call games for decades. He is plenty good, although he is admittedly as skilled as Dave Walsh. I have been around the country and listed to several radio play-by-play guys. I don't think I have ever heard someone as skilled as Dave Walsh was--not even in Lincoln, Nebraska or on the East Coast. Calling him as bad as some posters have, is inaccurate, unfair, and cruel.

That said, I know he suffered a stroke last year in Dayton and couldn't call our NCAA Tournament game for health reasons. It might have impacted his ability to do the job. Not many people are as good at a mental and speaking job after a stroke as they were before. But that is different than saying his was never any good. It also smacks of the arrogance with which many people proclaimed Brent Vigen incapable of coaching.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Lol. Who do you usually blame if the offense sucks and the head coach claims to be a hands off coach?
Wyovanian
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 13 times
Been liked: 16 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 am Lol. Who do you usually blame if the offense sucks and the head coach claims to be a hands off coach?
Now we know who was/ is to blame...
"WE are the music makers and WE are the dreamers of the dreams." -Willy Wonka (Gene Wilder) Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:12 am
LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:05 am Lol. Who do you usually blame if the offense sucks and the head coach claims to be a hands off coach?
Ha ha it was all me!! My fault guys. I am THE reason Vigen no longer works here
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

On a more serious note, would anyone welcome Vigen back to Laramie after the old ball coach, coach Bohl, rides off into the sunset? I bet there’ll be more than a few clamoring to bring him back.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 128 times
Been liked: 134 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:50 am On a more serious note, would anyone welcome Vigen back to Laramie after the old ball coach, coach Bohl, rides off into the sunset? I bet there’ll be more than a few clamoring to bring him back.
I remember a few posters mentioning that the best move for Wyoming would be if Vigen took the reigns from Bohl instead of firing him.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26 am
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:12 am

I think the point is that it's CB that can't field an offense.
DamThatRiver22
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 35 times

Brent Vigen doesn't call the plays at Montana State; I don't know how many times I have to tell y'all that. And his OC (Housewright) derives his offense from his mentor from Oregon/Mississippi State.

Vigen was also handed the reins to a Montana State program already in good shape, and at the FCS level.

Just because Vigen has shown to be a decent HC and delegator in the FCS doesn't mean he doesn't share any of the blame for his horrid FBS offenses or the inability to significantly develop even a generational QB like Allen...and it doesn't mean he was a good OC or QB coach while he was here.

Bohl and Vigen both sucked at offensive philosophy and player development during Vigen's time here. Bohl continues to suck and continues to hire (and promote from within...*cough* Grant *cough*) terrible offensive staff. All of the above can be true.
Kazuto
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:26 am
Wyovanian wrote: Sat Nov 19, 2022 9:12 am GBWhatsApp APKNow we know who was/ is to blame...
:lol: :lol: At first, i read Vigen as Vegan and misunderstood the post. :whistle: