Anyone else

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

think that the beer song should be banned? Nothing I love more than seeing a bunch of small kids singing about beer. And other schools coming in to hear our "School Song". Its horrible and I wish it were never played again.
It was really in poor taste this last game when Wyo did something to remember the track and field players who died 9 years ago and almost on que the band started the beer song. Way to drop the ball. Ive talked to members of the band and they don't even like to play it but they are told to a couple times a game.
I think its total :willybs:
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

TwoTone wrote:think that the beer song should be banned? Nothing I love more than seeing a bunch of small kids singing about beer. And other schools coming in to hear our "School Song". Its horrible and I wish it were never played again.
It was really in poor taste this last game when Wyo did something to remember the track and field players who died 9 years ago and almost on que the band started the beer song. Way to drop the ball. Ive talked to members of the band and they don't even like to play it but they are told to a couple times a game.
I think its total :willybs:
1. The Beer Song has become our unoffficial song, that is mostly sung by the college students.
2. Little kids singing it is more of a parenting thing then the school's.
3. When I worked the games, it seemed like the bands enjoyed it as much as the crowd did, and it also helped in many games so that the Pokes seemed to get more energy.
4. Yes, the track and field athletes who died 9 years ago was a tragedy, and the song should not be played in remembrance of them. However, last I checked, I don't see the Western Thunder Marching band and the Pep band at any of the track meets.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

I hate the song in general. I think it makes us look like a bunch of drunk rednecks. I know I'm in the minority on this. But I remember when the drinking age in Wyo. was 19 for everything and how many of my friends or people I knew died in drunk driving related deaths. Not that drinking is a bad thing, I just don't think it needs to be celebrated by a bunch of kids (many of whom are not legally old enough to drink).
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

fromolwyoming wrote: 1. The Beer Song has become our unoffficial song, that is mostly sung by the college students.
3. When I worked the games, it seemed like the bands enjoyed it as much as the crowd did, and it also helped in many games so that the Pokes seemed to get more energy.
4. Yes, the track and field athletes who died 9 years ago was a tragedy, and the song should not be played in remembrance of them. However, last I checked, I don't see the Western Thunder Marching band and the Pep band at any of the track meets.
Its sung by more than the students, but your right most of the students are usually so drunk that its what they like to hear. Don't even pretend that Wyo isn't a drinking school because we all know kids who go there and hear the stories.
So you think parents are going to cover the kids ears or what? They are going to hear it and it gives them the idea that its ok to be a drunk asshole at an early age.
You know what helps get the team pumped up more than the beer song? RAGTIME COWBOY JOE! And when the crowd gets into the game. When they came back against SDSU this weekend it wasn't because of the beer song it was because the crowd got into the game for once
What does the band being at meets have to do with anything? Because they don't play then it doesn't matter?
The song does nothing but make other schools look at The University of Wyoming like a bunch of drunk redneck hillbillies.
Aaron
A Real Cowboy

bladerunnr wrote:I hate the song in general. I think it makes us look like a bunch of drunk rednecks. I know I'm in the minority on this. But I remember when the drinking age in Wyo. was 19 for everything and how many of my friends or people I knew died in drunk driving related deaths. Not that drinking is a bad thing, I just don't think it needs to be celebrated by a bunch of kids (many of whom are not legally old enough to drink).
:thumb:
WYCowboy
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 6 times

TwoTone wrote:
fromolwyoming wrote: 1. The Beer Song has become our unoffficial song, that is mostly sung by the college students.
Its sung by more than the students, but your right most of the students are usually so drunk that its what they like to hear. Don't even pretend that Wyo isn't a drinking school because we all know kids who go there and hear the stories.
So you think parents are going to cover the kids ears or what? They are going to hear it and it gives them the idea that its ok to be a drunk a##hole at an early age.
You know what helps get the team pumped up more than the beer song? RAGTIME COWBOY JOE! And when the crowd gets into the game. When they came back against SDSU this weekend it wasn't because of the beer song it was because the crowd got into the game for once
What does the band being at meets have to do with anything? Because they don't play then it doesn't matter?
The song does nothing but make other schools look at The University of Wyoming like a bunch of drunk redneck hillbillies.

:thumb:
You can tell how big a person is by what it takes to discourage him/her.
fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time

TwoTone wrote:
So you think parents are going to cover the kids ears or what? They are going to hear it and it gives them the idea that its ok to be a drunk a##hole at an early age.
Laramie itself has 27 bars with little else to do except the occasional visit to the Rec Center. So what else would the City of Laramie be? Not too mention that already many local High School kids get into bars, whether or not the bouncers and bartenders know they are of age.
What I meant was with the kids, is that the parents should, you know, explain it to them. Actually be a parent. Lay down some rules, But nope, lay the blame on someone else.
Yes Ragtime Cowboy Joe gets the team pumped, but it can only be played so much during 1 quarter or one half. I like it as much as the next Cowboy fan, but some variety has never hurt.
Did you miss what I wrote? I said it would be distasteful if the band played the Beer song at track meets.

And a couple of last things, I have not now, nor have I ever drank alcohol. That is a such a rarity in this town that only good Mormons and some very goody two shoes people are the only others that do not, And, for the 9 athletes who died, it was due to drinking and driing by the other driver, which I have never condoned, but I DO condone drinking responsibly so as to not get into fights (I have had friends that worked as bouncers, you know how many bar fights they had to stop?), drive drunk, or allow minors to drink.
wellpoke
Ranch Hand

TwoTone wrote:Ive talked to members of the band and they don't even like to play it but they are told to a couple times a game.
I can tell you first hand that part isn't true, or at least it wasn't a few years ago. When I was in the band, we enjoyed playing the beer song because it's such a crowd pleaser (for the most part). Used to be that the band was only allowed to play the song a couple of times a game, and usually only when the team was up. I would say that Cowboy Joe was played 10 times as often as the Beer song when I was in the band.

In general, I think it's ok for the band to play it, as long as it doesn't get excessive. Having kids sing along is a parenting issue, IMO. Under the circumstances you describe, I believe it probably was uncalled for, but I don't think it should be banned altogether.

Wyo doesn't have many traditions, let the few that we do have - like the beer song, like it or not - live on.

GO POKES!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

Personally, I like the beer song. But I know UW isn't the only school that plays it.. it's played at many other campuses. In poor taste? Sometimes. But going back to what was said above, definitely shouldn't be associated with the 9 track athletes..
ImageImageImageImage
cheypoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

Good grief people. Is there anything you wont complain about? Over the last 10 years the game atmosphere has dwindled to crap. No crowds, no noice, no dancers, no "shaking of papers", no mocking of coaches, on and on and on. So we have a song that the students all like to sing and gets them wound up. Now you want to eliminate that too? If it was played right after the tribute to the runners, then that was unfortunate and the result of the band director not paying attention. But lets let the students have SOME fun.
TheRealUW
Cowpoke
Been liked: 50 times

I've said this before, and I'll say it again...there are 3 places where society allows people to act rowdy: bars, prisons, and sporting events. This is especially true for football games, but is generally true for other sports as well. If the students and some of the other fans enjoy the song, let them have their fun. If you are in an environment where there is activity you don't enjoy, there are really only two choices: don't put yourself in that environment anymore or put up with it. I would hope you are a big enough Poke fan that you can look past a 30 second song that you don't deem appropriate and enjoy the game anyways. I mean, I don't always enjoy the way people act at bars, but if I go to a bar I just ignore their behavior and I end up having fun regardless.

As far as the whole parenting/children thing goes...you can't hide the real world from them forever. The best approach would be to acknowledge that drinking and beer are a part of many peoples lives and discuss with them how to use it responsibly and the dangers associated with it. Believe me, if they haven't already heard of beer, they will very soon. I don't think hearing the beer song at the basketball games is going to make an 8 year old rush out to the liqour store to buy some beer anytime soon. Please don't get me started on having the drinking age at 21...one of the BIGGEST injustices in this country. If my government is going to tell me I'm eligible to be ordered to grab a gun and put my life on the line in a foreign country, then they damn well better say I'm eligible to drink a beer. :D
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Oh, I'm not saying ban it. I was just giving my opinion on it. I did a lot of things in college I wouldn't do now. God knows I'm boring enough in my mid 40's not to tell others what to do!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

bladerunnr wrote:I did a lot of things in college I wouldn't do now.
So you enjoyed college like I did? :)
ImageImageImageImage