Midseason Surprises

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Who has surprised you most? I think DL is pretty damn good considering its littered with redshirt freshmen. I hear Siders/Omotosho called a lot. Wrook Brown and Ekeler as well. Hell, the whole D has been pretty good considering how young they are. On offense our center Tulafono appears to be pretty good for being a sophomore.
W-Y, Until I Die!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

laxwyo wrote: Sat Oct 22, 2022 11:20 pm Who has surprised you most? I think DL is pretty damn good considering its littered with redshirt freshmen. I hear Siders/Omotosho called a lot. Wrook Brown and Ekeler as well. Hell, the whole D has been pretty good considering how young they are. On offense our center Tulafono appears to be pretty good for being a sophomore.
Defensive line has been fantastic! Lost half the line to the portal and Harsh is lost before the season started. Yet - the line has been impressive and Gavin Meyer is for real!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

I would say the biggest surprise would be the defensive ends. Siders, Harris and omithoso have been really good.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Future looks promising.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

phxpoke wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:02 pm Future looks promising.
If we don’t get killed by the transfer portal.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 3:50 pm
Most likely is the new normal. Most college teams are going to look very different from year to year
I'm good for 3!
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

We need to kill the transfer portal this year, not be killed. It looks like it was addition through subtraction for WYO though. :thumb:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:10 am
We need to kill the transfer portal this year, not be killed. It looks like it was addition through subtraction for WYO though. :thumb:
You might be right - it seems we have actually improved on the defensive line despite the subtractions. Peasley is a better QB than Levi (and a better leader) and gives us both dimensions where Sean Chambers really did not. But it would have been nice to keep Coldon, Neyor and another defensive back or two. This could actually be a dynamic offense with a talented receiver like Neyor.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

The defensive line. To be leading the Mountain West in sacks by the margin we are is awesome.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:52 pm The defensive line. To be leading the Mountain West in sacks by the margin we are is awesome.
Damn. Didn't realize we were leading the MWC in sacks. We have 25 and the next closest is Fresno with 18. :shock:

DeVonne Harris leads the conference with 7, Omothoso is 3rd with 5 and Siders is T5th with 4. Bertagnole T13th with 3. Gavin Meyer has 2.5

Beast mode on the D line. This is without Sebastian Harsh who was projected to be the leader of the DEs and Keelan Cox, the Alabama transfer, who was also supposed to see the field.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

More stats:

Easton Gibbs is 4th in the MWC in total tackles with 68 - nice
Titus Swen is 3rd in rush yards at 665 and 4th is TDs with 7.
Cobbs is 8th in receiving yards with 296 and Weiland 11th at 285.
Peasley is a mixed bag - I'll just leave it at that. Serviceable is a good word.
Hotkarl
Buckaroo
Been liked: 5 times

How about us with a realistic chance at double digit wins and a conference title. And still have the board is pessimistic. Like it or not this is the best position the team has been in in arguably 30 yrs, and yet we we are still half whine babies. Prolly the equivalent of the get rid of Tiller crowd almost 30 yrs ago, if any of those labias are still alive.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Hotkarl wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:02 pm How about us with a realistic chance at double digit wins and a conference title. And still have the board is pessimistic. Like it or not this is the best position the team has been in in arguably 30 yrs, and yet we we are still half whine babies. Prolly the equivalent of the get rid of Tiller crowd almost 30 yrs ago, if any of those labias are still alive.
Guess I’m missing something. This post is pretty positive. Talking about Pokes that are leading the conference in certain categories, and where the team is. The team is in a pretty good position, and most of the posters on this thread are recognizing that. Hmmmm 🤔
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Way better than I ever thought or gave em credit for!!! 8-4, 9-3 isn't out of the question and that's a huge improvement coming from the usual 6-6....BUT it's not over yet and we CANNOT overlook anyone(starting with the Bows) Get er done!!@
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

LanderPoke wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 4:53 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:52 pm The defensive line. To be leading the Mountain West in sacks by the margin we are is awesome.
Damn. Didn't realize we were leading the MWC in sacks. We have 25 and the next closest is Fresno with 18. :shock:

DeVonne Harris leads the conference with 7, Omothoso is 3rd with 5 and Siders is T5th with 4. Bertagnole T13th with 3. Gavin Meyer has 2.5

Beast mode on the D line. This is without Sebastian Harsh who was projected to be the leader of the DEs and Keelan Cox, the Alabama transfer, who was also supposed to see the field.
Keelan Cox, with a hip fracture in fall practice, what a tough start. He was injured around the 8th of August, and was expected to start rehab in 6 - 8 weeks from then, making that rehab start around the 3rd of October. Wonder if he will be able to play any over the last 4 games, haven't heard a word. Shocking.
Dear Karma,

McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Hotkarl wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 6:02 pm How about us with a realistic chance at double digit wins and a conference title. And still have the board is pessimistic. Like it or not this is the best position the team has been in in arguably 30 yrs, and yet we we are still half whine babies. Prolly the equivalent of the get rid of Tiller crowd almost 30 yrs ago, if any of those labias are still alive.
What? Where do you go for happy hour? ;)
Dear Karma,

307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

Agree with most of the surprises pointed out....Overall I think I'm not so much surprised at our strengths as I'm surprised at this teams ability to find wins with some obvious weaknesses (secondary and passing game to be specific). As critical as I've been of Bohl, I tip my cap to the product through 8 games...it's not without it's flaws but they are obviously playing together and with discipline/aggression. As down as I get when we lose like we did to BYU or Illinois....dominating USU and beating UNM on the road are a good base to build from.
sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 15 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:15 am You might be right - it seems we have actually improved on the defensive line despite the subtractions. Peasley is a better QB than Levi (and a better leader) and gives us both dimensions where Sean Chambers really did not. But it would have been nice to keep Coldon, Neyor and another defensive back or two. This could actually be a dynamic offense with a talented receiver like Neyor.
I have to admit, I was impressed by the receivers. In the recent years, I saw too many "waiting for the ball," and this past week, I saw a lot of aggressively "going to get the ball." That's all good coaching.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Article on the young DEs
https://7220sports.com/wyomings-young-d ... -schedule/

True freshman Kevin Sjogren got some game action last week. I think we'll see many good things from him in the future.
Also interesting, Siders said he didn't get recruited by any CO schools at all. It's amazing that CSU passes up so many quality players right under their nose.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Oct 27, 2022 9:29 am Article on the young DEs
https://7220sports.com/wyomings-young-d ... -schedule/

True freshman Kevin Sjogren got some game action last week. I think we'll see many good things from him in the future.
Also interesting, Siders said he didn't get recruited by any CO schools at all. It's amazing that CSU passes up so many quality players right under their nose.
Before Bohl, Wyoming had the same disease.
W-Y, Until I Die!