Craig Thompson Stepping Down

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 1:02 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am

Well for about the 3rd time, it’s both. Money and weak conference leadership, with no vision.

I’ll answer the same way next time you ask.

And I’ll ask again, can you name anything substantial Thompson did as commish?
Navigated formation and launch of the MWC. Ultimately became the strongest g5 conference until raided.
Added TCU.
Blew up the project. Saved the MWC from pending demise or at least from being much worse off than it currently is.
Oversaw development of one of the nation's first conference TV networks rather than take scraps espn was throwing out. It ended up not working great but it was a visionary risk.
Grew the MWC to a level that 2 teams rose to P5 level.
Environment produced a few first picks in NBA and nfl drafts.
Served on subcommittee that developed the current 12 team playoff system which guarantees a MWC team at least has the opportunity to play for a national championship.
Valid points as well.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am
Well for about the 3rd time, it’s both. Money and weak conference leadership, with no vision.

I’ll answer the same way next time you ask.

And I’ll ask again, can you name anything substantial Thompson did as commish?
Well...I wasn't the one saying that he has sat on his hands...that was you. I didn't make a claim that he was good or bad ... just that the environment he is in is one where he doesn't really have much juice. Others have chimed in with the moves that he has supposedly made. I don't know how much he is personally responsible for but I guess he does something.

The effect of money and market size dwarfs whatever effect weak leadership has. Let's assume for a moment that both lack of market size ($) and weak conference leadership contributes to bad outcomes. Move the lever on them and imagine the outcome. What if the SEC had weak conference leadership? They would still have networks driving money filled trucks to their door for the rights to broadcast their games. What if the MW had some visionary leader? Probably some slight better negotiated deals but every member that leaves the MW would do so again because the networks aren't paying for what we are selling.

People seem animated on the topic of Thompson. It doesn't make sense to me. He seems to be a typical "suit" trying to do typical "suit" stuff. The tools at his disposal, compared to even the depleted PAC are lacking. Even in hindsight, nobody really puts any examples forth of what he should have done....he's made some errors but I think, in general he makes the most of the meager opportunities afforded to the MW members.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 290 times
Been liked: 115 times

This whole thread = TLDR
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...