Craig Thompson Stepping Down

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Looking back on this, did Thompson know the MWC had a better than average chance of dissolving?
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:01 pm Looking back on this, did Thompson know the MWC had a better than average chance of dissolving?
He surely saw the writing on the wall that the MWC going forward would certainly be taking a step back.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 273 times
Been liked: 118 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:01 pm Looking back on this, did Thompson know the MWC had a better than average chance of dissolving?
Timing pretty advantageous for “hair”. I’m not sure he wanted to put the work in. He never seemed to put the work in to do much for the conference. Is there anything he can be credited with other than status quo……..
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 12 times
Been liked: 60 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:50 pm
Timing pretty advantageous for “hair”. I’m not sure he wanted to put the work in. He never seemed to put the work in to do much for the conference. Is there anything he can be credited with other than status quo……..
I guess you are always able lay blame for things not being better....but the "status quo" is also a credit for things not being worse. I don't have a strong opinion on the choices that conference leadership has made...but it seems that we err on the side of blaming in hindsight without considering the conditions of the actual lack of information and agency that past decisions were made under. I hear a lot of "Burman should get off his @$$" or "Thompson did nothing". The MW and it's institutions are becoming an afterthought in college athletics for a lot of reasons...and while I don't think people like Burman or Thompson are "visionary" leaders...their failings in leadership aren't the salient variable in why Wyoming and the MW is where it's at.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:17 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:50 pm

I guess you are always able lay blame for things not being better....but the "status quo" is also a credit for things not being worse. I don't have a strong opinion on the choices that conference leadership has made...but it seems that we err on the side of blaming in hindsight without considering the conditions of the actual lack of information and agency that past decisions were made under. I hear a lot of "Burman should get off his @$$" or "Thompson did nothing". The MW and it's institutions are becoming an afterthought in college athletics for a lot of reasons...and while I don't think people like Burman or Thompson are "visionary" leaders...their failings in leadership aren't the salient variable in why Wyoming and the MW is where it's at.

My thoughts had nothing to do with Burman. Not sure where that came from.

My point is while other conference chiefs were very active to strengthen their conferences, nothing much was going on in the MW and now…….here we sit. Waiting…….. Letting everyone else decide the MW future. I wouldn’t classify that as leadership.

I see that as a failure to their member schools, and as a fan, disappointing. You don’t - we can agree to disagree.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:22 am
307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:17 am

My point is while other conference chiefs were very active to strengthen their conferences, nothing much was going on in the MW and now…….here we sit. Waiting…….. Letting everyone else decide the MW future. I wouldn’t classify that as leadership.

I see that as a failure to their member schools, and as a fan, disappointing. You don’t - we can agree to disagree.
Lumping Burman in there was just that I see this as in the same category of complaint.

I'm not sure I disagree necessarily. I am just wondering, what is that action that that you (and others) are seeing other leaders taking to strengthen their conferences that Thompson could have taken? I assume you are referring to these blockbuster media deals that were made and proffered invitations made to high value institutions. If not being a part of those is what you are "disappointed" in.....I share that disappointment but I don't lay that at the feet of conference leadership.

I guess I'm largely naïve when it comes to the options available to guys like Thompson. My perspective is that their hands are largely tied. I remember the days of the WAC expansion to 16 teams .... that was definitely audacious but ultimately ill-conceived. Should they have known better? Perhaps, but it wasn't obvious. A lot of these seem like complaints only with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe you could educate me a bit here. I follow the MW media and the conversation that is around Wyoming sports in particular as I imagine you do. What am I missing? Could you point me to the missed opportunities bad decisions that there was broad agreement on at the time?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:00 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:22 am

Lumping Burman in there was just that I see this as in the same category of complaint.

I'm not sure I disagree necessarily. I am just wondering, what is that action that that you (and others) are seeing other leaders taking to strengthen their conferences that Thompson could have taken? I assume you are referring to these blockbuster media deals that were made and proffered invitations made to high value institutions. If not being a part of those is what you are "disappointed" in.....I share that disappointment but I don't lay that at the feet of conference leadership.

I guess I'm largely naïve when it comes to the options available to guys like Thompson. My perspective is that their hands are largely tied. I remember the days of the WAC expansion to 16 teams .... that was definitely audacious but ultimately ill-conceived. Should they have known better? Perhaps, but it wasn't obvious. A lot of these seem like complaints only with the benefit of hindsight. Maybe you could educate me a bit here. I follow the MW media and the conversation that is around Wyoming sports in particular as I imagine you do. What am I missing? Could you point me to the missed opportunities bad decisions that there was broad agreement on at the time?
Well, the best way I could relate is in everyday business. If I had a customer, Boise St a few years ago, not happy with my product and looking to change to a different product, I would compare my product to my competition and work to keep that customer. If I’m deficient in my product I’m going to have to add value, or reduce expectations. I’m thinking of when BS and SDSU were looking at leaving the conference a few years back. Never really saw any changes to the conference to accommodate their concerns, or better the product to value.

Fast forward to now, nothing has changed to strengthen and protect the conference. In the business world, your customers leave and seek to partner with a business they believe has their best interest in mind. If your business doesn’t change they soon will be bankrupt, with no customers.

I really don’t see much difference. Many members of the conference, (customers) aren’t happy with the direction (leadership) and are looking for better options for their school (their business) and I really can’t blame them.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:38 am
307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:00 am

Well, the best way I could relate is in everyday business. If I had a customer, Boise St a few years ago, not happy with my product and looking to change to a different product, I would compare my product to my competition and work to keep that customer. If I’m deficient in my product I’m going to have to add value, or reduce expectations. I’m thinking of when BS and SDSU were looking at leaving the conference a few years back. Never really saw any changes to the conference to accommodate their concerns, or better the product to value.

Fast forward to now, nothing has changed to strengthen and protect the conference. In the business world, your customers leave and seek to partner with a business they believe has their best interest in mind. If your business doesn’t change they soon will be bankrupt, with no customers.

I really don’t see much difference. Many members of the conference, (customers) aren’t happy with the direction (leadership) and are looking for better options for their school (their business) and I really can’t blame them.
Would you apply this to what is going on in the PAC right now? Like, is it a failing of the PAC conference leadership that USC, UCLA and now Washington and Oregon as "customers" are looking to change "brands"? And to be clear....not just that the PAC leadership has made mistakes .... I'm sure they have....but could the breakup of the conference have been realistically avoided by better planning? From what I understand....the B1G showed up with a pile of money that is bigger...isn't that what it comes down to?

I mean....the PAC has way more resources and they still can't seem to protect themselves. How realistic is it that the MW should be expected to when a far richer conference can't? If this is just about who can pile up the most money....how much should people like Thompson be blamed? I think the way it is going down sucks but I think the reason it sucks doesn't have much to do with the failings of the people in charge. They are fallible and make mistakes but the system they are in is creating this stuff IMO.

I guess to sum up...we will always be able to say..."they should have done better" ... but we can also say "it could have been worse"
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:38 am

Would you apply this to what is going on in the PAC right now? Like, is it a failing of the PAC conference leadership that USC, UCLA and now Washington and Oregon as "customers" are looking to change "brands"? And to be clear....not just that the PAC leadership has made mistakes .... I'm sure they have....but could the breakup of the conference have been realistically avoided by better planning? From what I understand....the B1G showed up with a pile of money that is bigger...isn't that what it comes down to?

I mean....the PAC has way more resources and they still can't seem to protect themselves. How realistic is it that the MW should be expected to when a far richer conference can't? If this is just about who can pile up the most money....how much should people like Thompson be blamed? I think the way it is going down sucks but I think the reason it sucks doesn't have much to do with the failings of the people in charge. They are fallible and make mistakes but the system they are in is creating this stuff IMO.

I guess to sum up...we will always be able to say..."they should have done better" ... but we can also say "it could have been worse"
There is no doubt conference realignment is all driven by money, IMO it goes to the value proposition I gave.

But, if there is indifference from the conference I think it further adds to a school leaving, in addition to the money. In other words it makes the decision easier. Kind of like when I think of jobs I’ve changed if the boss was a di$&, confirmed I made the right decision to leave that job.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:56 pm
307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:54 am

There is no doubt conference realignment is all driven by money, IMO it goes to the value proposition I gave.

But, if there is indifference from the conference I think it further adds to a school leaving, in addition to the money. In other words it makes the decision easier. Kind of like when I think of jobs I’ve changed if the boss was a di$&, confirmed I made the right decision to leave that job.
Yeah...I have a hard time with the analogy you are using I guess. I think what you describe is true but I think the conference realignment issue is a lot more like a poker table than a boss/employee relationship or a customer brand relationship. By that I mean...you may be the best poker player in the world (or best conference commissioner in the world) but if your pile of chips is way smaller than your opponent's ... your skill matters less than the other guys pile. If you are the B1G or the SEC at this point you almost can't help but succeed. If you are the MWC...even if you do things perfectly, it may not be enough to maintain our exposure or relevance much less increase it. I just don't know how the MW or really any non-power conference commissioner can be proactive and have a positive impact. They almost have to wait and see and then try and make the best move out of what's left.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:44 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:56 pm

Yeah...I have a hard time with the analogy you are using I guess. I think what you describe is true but I think the conference realignment issue is a lot more like a poker table than a boss/employee relationship or a customer brand relationship. By that I mean...you may be the best poker player in the world (or best conference commissioner in the world) but if your pile of chips is way smaller than your opponent's ... your skill matters less than the other guys pile. If you are the B1G or the SEC at this point you almost can't help but succeed. If you are the MWC...even if you do things perfectly, it may not be enough to maintain our exposure or relevance much less increase it. I just don't know how the MW or really any non-power conference commissioner can be proactive and have a positive impact. They almost have to wait and see and then try and make the best move out of what's left.
I actually don’t disagree with you, maybe not the best analogy. My point is simple…… if there isn’t any action to enhance the conference it makes it much easier for a school with a better (even perceived) opportunity to bolt……

Can you list anything the conference has done to better themself.
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:40 pm I actually don’t disagree with you, maybe not the best analogy. My point is simple…… if there isn’t any action to enhance the conference it makes it much easier for a school with a better (even perceived) opportunity to bolt……

Can you list anything the conference has done to better themself.
This is the question that you and I both have a hard time answering in either direction. I think if one makes the claim that the conference leadership is bad or good, you have to have examples of the bad or good moves that were made. I don't really have either. As I pointed out...it seems like everything the B1G and SEC do is "good" but that is not a high bar when you have the deck stacked as they do. I actually have no evidence that the conference commissioner office is not taking action to enhance the conference. I could probably make the case that it has not been successful I suppose....but again, that lack of success is happening against a backdrop of heavy disadvantage so it's tough to expect good outcomes.

I don't really have any evidence of the MW leadership making mistakes through commission or gross inaction. I would assume that the MW commissioner office is in close contact to all of the Universities and athletic departments. It's pretty obvious now that SDSU is leaving for whatever the PAC becomes. Do we know that the commissioner has been sitting on his hands? I would be very surprised if that were the case.

Part of me wants them to blow it up....cast off SJSU, HA and become a real regional conference. Unfortunately I think that move is probably legally not something the commissioners office can explore.
Lost Poke
Cowpoke
Been liked: 15 times

The conference is it's members

- They employ the commissioner
- They are the product
- They are the brand

The customers of the conference, at least these days, is primarily broadcast media.

So if the conference is unable to get better revenue from it's media customers, then that is a reflection of it's membership much more than it's a reflection of their employee, the commissioner. If the commissioner is so inept, then it's on the schools to explain why they employ that person. The MWC isn't able to get massive media contracts because of who we are, and where we are located. But we're still in better shape than a lot of other conferences.

How this works out as the media rights holders monkey around with their suppliers (the conferences) to get the most revenue from their customers (the viewers and advertisers) is probably at most 20% within the control of the schools in this conference. The rest is being driven in Disney/ESPN, CBS etc. headquarters.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Lost Poke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:59 am The conference is it's members

- They are the product
- They are the brand

The customers of the conference, at least these days, is primarily broadcast media.

So if the conference is unable to get better revenue from it's media customers, then that is a reflection of it's membership much more than it's a reflection of their employee, the commissioner. If the commissioner is so inept, then it's on the schools to explain why they employ that person. The MWC isn't able to get massive media contracts because of who we are, and where we are located. But we're still in better shape than a lot of other conferences.

How this works out as the media rights holders monkey around with their suppliers (the conferences) to get the most revenue from their customers (the viewers and advertisers) is probably at most 20% within the control of the schools in this conference. The rest is being driven in Disney/ESPN, CBS etc. headquarters.
In theory, no different than what I stated.

Nonetheless, no schools……..no conference. It’s the commissioner or conference office that would have a huge influence on whether teams are content enough to leave or look elsewhere. It’s also the conference who leads in negotiating the TV revenues.

I’ll still ask…….name anything Thompson did of substance.

Im actually not in disagreement, and it’s all about the money. Always is…..
307bball
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 pm
Lost Poke wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:59 am The conference is it's members

- They are the product
- They are the brand

Nonetheless, no schools……..no conference. It’s the commissioner or conference office that would have a huge influence on whether teams are content enough to leave or look elsewhere. It’s also the conference who leads in negotiating the TV revenues.

Well... Which is it? What is causing all of the conference upheaval? Is it conferences and commissioners, or is it all about the money? You can say (as you did) "the conference and commissioner are responsible for getting the money" but they is a dodge of the fact no matter what the MW commissioner does, it is the market that dictates the amount we get.

You made the claim that Thompson seemed to not want to put the work in and could only be credited with keeping the status quo. Even if that where true, it still seems to be the case that his inaction had little to no impact on the MW losing members or conference member payouts. I don't have an answer to what Thompson did that was "of substance". After all, he is the commissioner of a conference whose member schools represent small markets and are competitively mediocre. He has no cards to play. There is no magic negotiation tactic that he could have employed to get more money from ESPN or to get Gonzaga to join as a basketball member or to keep SDSU from leaving.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

307bball wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:27 am
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:49 pm

Well... Which is it? What is causing all of the conference upheaval? Is it conferences and commissioners, or is it all about the money? You can say (as you did) "the conference and commissioner are responsible for getting the money" but they is a dodge of the fact no matter what the MW commissioner does, it is the market that dictates the amount we get.

You made the claim that Thompson seemed to not want to put the work in and could only be credited with keeping the status quo. Even if that where true, it still seems to be the case that his inaction had little to no impact on the MW losing members or conference member payouts. I don't have an answer to what Thompson did that was "of substance". After all, he is the commissioner of a conference whose member schools represent small markets and are competitively mediocre. He has no cards to play. There is no magic negotiation tactic that he could have employed to get more money from ESPN or to get Gonzaga to join as a basketball member or to keep SDSU from leaving.
Well for about the 3rd time, it’s both. Money and weak conference leadership, with no vision.

I’ll answer the same way next time you ask.

And I’ll ask again, can you name anything substantial Thompson did as commish?
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 10:37 am

Well for about the 3rd time, it’s both. Money and weak conference leadership, with no vision.

Prevented BYU's project was substantial. If that happened, we would be in bad shape today.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 115 times

Navigated formation and launch of the MWC. Ultimately became the strongest g5 conference until raided.
Added TCU.
Blew up the project. Saved the MWC from pending demise or at least from being much worse off than it currently is.
Oversaw development of one of the nation's first conference TV networks rather than take scraps espn was throwing out. It ended up not working great but it was a visionary risk.
Grew the MWC to a level that 2 teams rose to P5 level.
Environment produced a few first picks in NBA and nfl drafts.
Served on subcommittee that developed the current 12 team playoff system which guarantees a MWC team at least has the opportunity to play for a national championship.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
PokesArePeopleToo
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 12 times

Here is another thought to this thing. What if the mwc eventually dissolves and Wyoming doesn't join any conference but goes forward as an independent? How do you think that would work? Could be interesting scheduling wise with the flexibility to play just about anyone right?
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:25 pm

Prevented BYU's project was substantial. If that happened, we would be in bad shape today.
Fair enough. Valid points.