Craig Thompson Stepping Down

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
303cowboy
Cowpoke
Been liked: 9 times

ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

The MWC is so bad this year that even Hair can't handle it.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 300 times
Been liked: 119 times

Great News, he is a worthless pile of poop. I know, be careful what you wish for...but I am not certain the MWC can be any poorer managed.

Maybe Burman should apply???!!!
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I was wondering when this day would come. His replacement couldn’t be worse, right? Right?!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 60 times
Been liked: 226 times

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:44 pm I was wondering when this day would come. His replacement couldn’t be worse, right? Right?!
As McPeachy said, careful what you wish for.

To be honest - Craig Thompson probably had a big role in ensuring that Wyoming has had a home for its sports over the past 10+ years. Let's be realistic, no major conference was or will be beating down our doors to join. Thompson helped navigate: BYU's WAC project which could have left Wyoming to die on the vine; SDSU and BSU almost went to the Big East which would have gutted the national perception of the conference at the time; and CSU and AFA almost went to the AAC last year which would have left Wyoming on an island.

Things could have been much much worse for us...
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:02 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:44 pm I was wondering when this day would come. His replacement couldn’t be worse, right? Right?!

To be honest - Craig Thompson probably had a big role in ensuring that Wyoming has had a home for its sports over the past 10+ years. Let's be realistic, no major conference was or will be beating down our doors to join. Thompson helped navigate: BYU's WAC project which could have left Wyoming to die on the vine; SDSU and BSU almost went to the Big East which would have gutted the national perception of the conference at the time; and CSU and AFA almost went to the AAC last year which would have left Wyoming on an island.

Yeah, and with a little foresight, we could be in a MW conference with Houston, SMU, Gonzaga, Wichita State, and Creighton. We could be in a conference without SJSU.

Thompson single handedly tanked our conference's basketball strength by adding SJSU, so SDSU would have more recruiting footprint in California. He's a California puppet.

Good Riddance. That guy sucked at his job.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:32 pm
OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:02 pm

Yeah, and with a little foresight, we could be in a MW conference with Houston, SMU, Gonzaga, Wichita State, and Creighton. We could be in a conference without SJSU.

Thompson single handedly tanked our conference's basketball strength by adding SJSU, so SDSU would have more recruiting footprint in California. He's a California puppet.

Good Riddance. That guy sucked at his job.

Is this accurate?... My perception is that the non p5 conferences aren't really in a position to better themselves.... And if they do (like the MWC was starting doing in the early 2000s), the p5 just poach them back to irrelevance.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

You do realize that San Jose is the biggest TV market in the MWC right? Even though they have sucked for the vast majority of their time in the conference, their addition directly gave more money to Wyoming and the other schools every year.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 292 times
Been liked: 125 times

Burman will probably be his replacement.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 142 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:31 pm You do realize that San Jose is the biggest TV market in the MWC right? Even though they have sucked for the vast majority of their time in the conference, their addition directly gave more money to Wyoming and the other schools every year.
You're implying that the location in a market equates to eyeballs watching games? I suppose the potential is there but I'd wager no one gives a poop about them.
W-Y, Until I Die!
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 61 times

It's one thing to acknowledge how bad the last 15 years has been for the MWC...It's another thing entirely to make the claim that it was due to mismanagement in whole or in the main.

Even hindsight is not always 20/20 but it's easy to make claims like "my financial advisor is a bum because he didn't tell me to put money into bitcoin in 2011" ... People like Craig Thompson who lead lesser conferences are incredibly constrained. Even if they make every correct move, the big guys will nullify those moves and the "correct" move becomes incorrect.

Don't mistake this for an endorsement of him....I just am skeptical of claims that the main thing at play is the ineptitude of the people in charge. That may be true at Notre Dame or the SEC....but it's not true for the MWC. The ineptitude may be there but the structure of the system they are in has a much larger impact.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

I don't know how much better he could have done overall, but he always seemed to have it out for Wyoming. Like Josh Adams receiving a suspension and then some SDSU or Boise player does the same thing, but worse and doesn't get suspended. There has been other stuff, but I can't recall at the moment.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:39 am I don't know how much better he could have done overall, but he always seemed to have it out for Wyoming. Like Josh Adams receiving a suspension and then some SDSU or Boise player does the same thing, but worse and doesn't get suspended. There has been other stuff, but I can't recall at the moment.
How about last fall, 5 SDSU football players accused of raping a girl on campus. Not a word until a few months ago, by the University and I’ve heard crickets from the conference.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

Craig did the best he could with the resources he was given. Played a big role in re-establishing the original WAC schools and lead the conference through the end around poop BYU tried to pull. The grass ain't always greener.... he will be missed. B+ for a job well Done.
I'm good for 3!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

laxwyo wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:15 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 8:31 pm You do realize that San Jose is the biggest TV market in the MWC right? Even though they have sucked for the vast majority of their time in the conference, their addition directly gave more money to Wyoming and the other schools every year.
You're implying that the location in a market equates to eyeballs watching games? I suppose the potential is there but I'd wager no one gives a Sh#t about them.
When it comes to TV markets, eyeballs watching doesn't matter. It's the market that matters. That's why Rutgers and Maryland are in the Big Ten. No one watches them but they have 2 huge markets.

Same with SJSU, no one watches them, but their market brings in $$$ for the conference.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Wed Sep 14, 2022 9:16 pm Burman will probably be his replacement.
I was actually joking, but read this.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2022/09/15/ ... oon-names/
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Craig discusses BYU and “the project” as he exits…….

Just reminding everyone who BYU is…..

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2023/2/1 ... mike-young
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 43 times

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:56 pm Craig discusses BYU and “the project” as he exits…….

I thought it was Fort Fart that found out that BYU was trying to royally screw the MW in the rear-end the hard way, not Utah.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy

Wyokie wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:23 pm
Itsux2beaewe wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:56 pm Craig discusses BYU and “the project” as he exits…….

I thought it was Fort Fart that found out that BYU was trying to royally screw the MW in the rear-end the hard way, not Utah.

Don’t know. Just posting what Craig Thompson stated in this article. I suppose he might know……
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 128 times

and their bedfellow, byu-lite...
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.