Reece Monaco play by play- Ouch

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
wyoming>everything
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time

Was up in the mountains during the game and we all sat and listened to the game on the radio. That was hands down the worst called game I have ever endured. I like Reece and think he does fine on the sidelines, but holy cow that was a tough listen. Many times of the game we had absolutely no clue what was happening as he wouldn't mention the yards gained, who caught the pass or where on the field they were and flat missed out from calling a few plays even! It all of sudden would be 3rd down when we just had a first.

I have a billion memories of Dave Walsh as a kid growing up listening to games, and this I suppose made me miss him more.

I am mostly curious if we were off base, or did anyone else struggle having a clue where the ball was?
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

It’s different for sure.

I watched most but had to listen to some on drive home. Wasn’t terrible. He did get way too excited after we hit the fg in 2OT. It’s like, “dude, chill. The other team still gets the ball”
W-Y, Until I Die!
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

wyoming>everything wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:28 am Was up in the mountains during the game and we all sat and listened to the game on the radio. That was hands down the worst called game I have ever endured. I like Reece and think he does fine on the sidelines, but holy cow that was a tough listen. Many times of the game we had absolutely no clue what was happening as he wouldn't mention the yards gained, who caught the pass or where on the field they were and flat missed out from calling a few plays even! It all of sudden would be 3rd down when we just had a first.

I have a billion memories of Dave Walsh as a kid growing up listening to games, and this I suppose made me miss him more.

I am mostly curious if we were off base, or did anyone else struggle having a clue where the ball was?
He can't seem to say "pass complete at the 37 yard line. He can't tell you how long the gain or loss was, the length of the punt, where the receiver caught the pass (middle of the field, sideline). It's amazing. He's absolutely the worst play by play man I've ever heard. Ironic, I guess. Since Wyoming produced one of the greatest play by play announcers of all time - Curt Gowdy.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Yah. And there appears to be no TV for next week's game so radio is it. But wait! Maybe listen on the Northern Colorado radio version, presuming they have one.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:32 pm Yah. And there appears to be no TV for next week's game so radio is it. But wait! Maybe listen on the Northern Colorado radio version, presuming they have one.
I used to like listening to Dave and Kevin from the stands. That's all over now. I still like Kevin. But he's spending too much time filling in the blanks that Reece leaves behind.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

I don’t know why Kevin isn’t the main guy with Reece in Kevin’s old role, that would be my preference going forward.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
MN_Poke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unfortunately this is spot on. I have listened the past two weeks and had no feel for where on the field plays were occurring, exaggerated emotions and just plain hard to listen to play by play. Several times in week 1 field goal attempts were prefaced by a team “kicking it away” which usually means a punt not field goal try.

I hope it gets better. I always thought he was good on the sidelines. You gotta start somewhere but hopefully someone is mentoring him and helping him improve. Either that or Dave Walsh will have to unretire next year like Bud Grant did when Les Steckel ran the Vikings aground at 3-13.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 301 times
Been liked: 128 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 6:32 pm Yah. And there appears to be no TV for next week's game so radio is it. But wait! Maybe listen on the Northern Colorado radio version, presuming they have one.
I think the MW conference may have it televised.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

Monaco is not good
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I’m no way expecting him to be Dave Walsh. He’ll get better for sure. Someone should pull Dave’s rookie year and we’ll have something to compare.
W-Y, Until I Die!
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

If we were always staying in house for Dave Walsh’s replacement we should’ve went with David Settle. His experience is HS, but he’s a good play by play guy and he does have some experience calling games for our streaming service for basketball I believe. He would’ve been the better option.
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 90 times

I don't want to trample on Reece, but he has to get better. I tried listening to the 4th quarter and, like others, couldn't piece together down and distance, who caught or rushed the ball, yardage gained or most other important details. He gets overly excited and then can't make the call. He needs to settle in, speak deliberately, and focus on painting the story..or as Dave used to say - "giving us a word's eye view" of the action. He needs to tone down his exuberance by about 10 notches. He sounds like I would if I was calling the game, without the expletives. He has a decent radio voice and personality and I hope he succeeds because he is a good guy. He has huge shoes to fill in what is a storied position in radio dating back to Curt Gowdy and Larry B.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

calpoke25 wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:59 am If we were always staying in house for Dave Walsh’s replacement we should’ve went with David Settle. His experience is HS, but he’s a good play by play guy and he does have some experience calling games for our streaming service for basketball I believe. He would’ve been the better option.
Right? Since we didn't do a national search, we should have gone with Settle, who is 100x better than Monaco.
wyoming>everything
Buckaroo
Has liked: 1 time

It seems to be the consensus for sure! I hate ragging on anyone doing a job i could not do, but damn... It was the worst ive ever listened too. Hopefully it improves, and they have a little chat with him about at least sticking to the actual play on the field. Hell i would take just knowing where the damn ball is, as i will be radio only again this saturday, so lets go Reece haha
doreno5
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 54 times
Been liked: 83 times

wyoming>everything wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 11:28 am Was up in the mountains during the game and we all sat and listened to the game on the radio. That was hands down the worst called game I have ever endured. I like Reece and think he does fine on the sidelines, but holy cow that was a tough listen. Many times of the game we had absolutely no clue what was happening as he wouldn't mention the yards gained, who caught the pass or where on the field they were and flat missed out from calling a few plays even! It all of sudden would be 3rd down when we just had a first.

During the last minute of regulation he did not even announce how much time was left as Wyoming was driving for what could have been the game winning score. Monaco is not suited for the job as play by play announcer for football. Candidly I have heard better from our local radio guy doing the high school game. Curt Gowdy started out doing a Cheyenne St. Mary's high school football game, maybe the next voice of the Cowboys is out there doing the same thing now.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy

Not to beat a dead horse, but, what the hell. My understanding of how this works is you have the new guy call a few games of old taped games that he hasn't seen. Then you critique him and he's ready to go when the season starts. Maybe they thought his basketball experience was good enough and they just let him go in blind, so to speak.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I listened for the 1st time this season I like Reece, i just don't think football is his forte, of course living with Dave Walsh for 38 years is a tough comparison
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

Dave would be an impossible act to follow.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster

I’m sure he’ll get better. Dave didn’t start out as Dave Walsh, I’m sure.
W-Y, Until I Die!