2. point guard
3. shooting guard
4. be tougher
5. maybe practice fast breaks
6. be tougher
7. depth for Ike
8. be tougher.
:winky:

Maybe we can hit transfer portal for some of these needs.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Point guard and someone off the bench to contribute.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

We will see who is coming back. Any Covid seniors coming back? Linder and coaching staff telling anybody they should probably go elsewhere?

Guess we will see.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
calpoke25
A Real Cowboy

We need a ball handling guard who can also shoot, and a guy like Geronimo from Indiana. It will be interesting to see if Jeffries and of course Maldo come back.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 125 times
Been liked: 50 times

WyoVaquero wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:16 pm 1. Linder extenstion
1a. be tougher
2. point guard
3. shooting guard
4. be tougher
5. maybe practice fast breaks
6. be tougher
7. depth for Ike
8. be tougher.
:winky:

Maybe we can hit transfer portal for some of these needs.
Define "tougher."
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Needs:

1. We already signed a back up center that's a shot blocker(Texas district defensive POY). We need another rim protector to go with Oden. We really need Caden Powell. Thompson is not a center. Since we don't have a back up center, Thompson has to play there. That means that we cant play Thompson at the stretch 4 to pull a big out of the post. He has to play back up center in case Ike gets in foul trouble. I still think our best line-up is with him and Ike on the floor together, but we can't afford to do that much without a back up center.

2. Point guard. Without one we walk the ball up, cant push the tempo, dont handle the press well against athletic teams and force Maldo into an abnormally high amount of turnovers. Without a ball handler we have to play through the post. We don't run at altitude. We are easy to defend if you double Ike and Maldo. We really need a point guard that excels under pressure and in transition. We need a quick point that can defend smaller guards. Small quick guards could get to the rim all season against us.

3. Stretch 4. All Linder's best teams have had a good stretch 4. His offense is really hard to defend with one. Thompson got a raw deal because he could be a good one but we couldn't give him minutes there since he was Ike's back-up. Thompson graduated. I don't think he's coming back. We really need a stretch 4 and a back up to Ike to keep people from doubling the post. With both, you can't double Ike with another big.

4. More than anything, we need an off-season with continuity. I think people forget that Reynolds, Dusell, Oden, Ike, and Wenzel are all sophomores/freshmen with a covid year to burn. That's five out of eight guys in the rotation that have less than 50 games of college experience. Those guys now know what they need to work on to take their games to the next level. With our staff, you don't just think guys might improve in the off-season. You know they're going to get better.

Strengths:

1. I love our wing play. Yes, Dusell, Wenzel, and Jeffries all struggled shooting the ball at times this year. They all lit it up for stretches of the season. They all bring so much more to the team than just shooting. Dusell is the best perimeter defender. Jeffries is the best rebounding 6'5" guard we've had since Fennis. Wenzel's defense really improved and he makes winning plays.

2. Graham Ike is the real deal. When he's rested and confident he's really difficult to defend. He'll need to adjust to the way the officials started piling fouls on him. Even when he isn't scouring, he's a very good post defender and our best rebounder.

3. Maldonado's performance was outstanding this year. He ran the point as a small forward all season.I don't want to hear all the disgusting hate that our own fans are sending his way. I saw enough on twitter. f-word off if you think that's all right. We were lucky to get to watch him play. His name will sit in several categories of our record book forever. I don't know if he's coming back, but I sure as hell hope he is. Take your negative comments about him and your turnover poop and shove them straight up you ass. I don't want to hear it.

4. J.O. has so much potential. He can be a lock down defender by the time he's done here. Once he's a little stronger, you aren't going to be able to stop him from going to the rim and dunking on you. His turn around jump shot in the paint is money. He's our best shot blocker right now. He needs to work on boxing out and dominating the glass, but that will come with more strength and reps. I'm super excited to continue to see him grow. If he can develop a consistent three point shot he's a MWC first teamer before it's all said and done.

Remember, we did all this without Kenny Foster. I expected him to be a possible starter at the beginning of the season. That dude has had a horrible run of luck: high ankle sprain, covid, mono.....that's all this season. He's got to be super frustrated with the whole thing. I sure hope we can see him play a season without getting banged up so he can develop his potential.

I hope the staff stays together. This team has a chance to rank right up there with the Adams/Nance, Bailey/Davis, Fennis/Leckner, and Tub Bradley teams. It just needs the time to grow and some continuity in leadership. My greatest regret as a sports fan is watching Brandy leave for SDSU with the team he left behind in Laramie. We need to get to see this team through to the end. We need to pay this staff whatever it takes to keep them here for 3 more years.

Those are my thoughts. We're way ahead of schedule, young, oozing potential, and we have the best staff we've had in decades. The future doesn't get much brighter as long as we can keep them together.

What does this team need? We need to do whatever is humanly possible to allow everyone on the roster/staff to continue to grow together and see this through to the finish line. That finish line might be the deepest run we've made since Kenny Sailors and Ev Shelton won everything.
nwpoke
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 1 time

oldbull is spot on. Foundation is in place for good teams the next several years. Good work pokes, and I'm already stoked for next season. Thanks, guys!
LawPoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 79 times
Been liked: 89 times

Old-Bull wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 pm Needs:

1. We already signed a back up center that's a shot blocker(Texas district defensive POY). We need another rim protector to go with Oden. We really need Caden Powell. Thompson is not a center. Since we don't have a back up center, Thompson has to play there. That means that we cant play Thompson at the stretch 4 to pull a big out of the post. He has to play back up center in case Ike gets in foul trouble. I still think our best line-up is with him and Ike on the floor together, but we can't afford to do that much without a back up center.

2. Point guard. Without one we walk the ball up, cant push the tempo, dont handle the press well against athletic teams and force Maldo into an abnormally high amount of turnovers. Without a ball handler we have to play through the post. We don't run at altitude. We are easy to defend if you double Ike and Maldo. We really need a point guard that excels under pressure and in transition. We need a quick point that can defend smaller guards. Small quick guards could get to the rim all season against us.

3. Stretch 4. All Linder's best teams have had a good stretch 4. His offense is really hard to defend with one. Thompson got a raw deal because he could be a good one but we couldn't give him minutes there since he was Ike's back-up. Thompson graduated. I don't think he's coming back. We really need a stretch 4 and a back up to Ike to keep people from doubling the post. With both, you can't double Ike with another big.

4. More than anything, we need an off-season with continuity. I think people forget that Reynolds, Dusell, Oden, Ike, and Wenzel are all sophomores/freshmen with a covid year to burn. That's five out of eight guys in the rotation that have less than 50 games of college experience. Those guys now know what they need to work on to take their games to the next level. With our staff, you don't just think guys might improve in the off-season. You know they're going to get better.

Strengths:

1. I love our wing play. Yes, Dusell, Wenzel, and Jeffries all struggled shooting the ball at times this year. They all lit it up for stretches of the season. They all bring so much more to the team than just shooting. Dusell is the best perimeter defender. Jeffries is the best rebounding 6'5" guard we've had since Fennis. Wenzel's defense really improved and he makes winning plays.

2. Graham Ike is the real deal. When he's rested and confident he's really difficult to defend. He'll need to adjust to the way the officials started piling fouls on him. Even when he isn't scouring, he's a very good post defender and our best rebounder.

3. Maldonado's performance was outstanding this year. He ran the point as a small forward all season.I don't want to hear all the disgusting hate that our own fans are sending his way. I saw enough on twitter. [#]f##k off if you think that's all right. We were lucky to get to watch him play. His name will sit in several categories of our record book forever. I don't know if he's coming back, but I sure as hell hope he is. Take your negative comments about him and your turnover [#]sh#t and shove them straight up you A$$. I don't want to hear it.

4. J.O. has so much potential. He can be a lock down defender by the time he's done here. Once he's a little stronger, you aren't going to be able to stop him from going to the rim and dunking on you. His turn around jump shot in the paint is money. He's our best shot blocker right now. He needs to work on boxing out and dominating the glass, but that will come with more strength and reps. I'm super excited to continue to see him grow. If he can develop a consistent three point shot he's a MWC first teamer before it's all said and done.

Remember, we did all this without Kenny Foster. I expected him to be a possible starter at the beginning of the season. That dude has had a horrible run of luck: high ankle sprain, covid, mono.....that's all this season. He's got to be super frustrated with the whole thing. I sure hope we can see him play a season without getting banged up so he can develop his potential.

I hope the staff stays together. This team has a chance to rank right up there with the Adams/Nance, Bailey/Davis, Fennis/Leckner, and Tub Bradley teams. It just needs the time to grow and some continuity in leadership. My greatest regret as a sports fan is watching Brandy leave for SDSU with the team he left behind in Laramie. We need to get to see this team through to the end. We need to pay this staff whatever it takes to keep them here for 3 more years.

Those are my thoughts. We're way ahead of schedule, young, oozing potential, and we have the best staff we've had in decades. The future doesn't get much brighter as long as we can keep them together.

What does this team need? We need to do whatever is humanly possible to allow everyone on the roster/staff to continue to grow together and see this through to the finish line. That finish line might be the deepest run we've made since Kenny Sailors and Ev Shelton won everything.
Do you think that Ike comes back?

I doubt Maldo does. I don't know where he goes - but I don't see it.

I'm thinking Jeffries is in the brown and gold next year.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Find a Riley Grabau type point guard.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

LawPoke wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:03 am
Old-Bull wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:16 pm Needs:

Strengths:

3. Maldonado's performance was outstanding this year. He ran the point as a small forward all season.I don't want to hear all the disgusting hate that our own fans are sending his way. I saw enough on twitter. [#]f##k off if you think that's all right. We were lucky to get to watch him play. His name will sit in several categories of our record book forever. I don't know if he's coming back, but I sure as hell hope he is. Take your negative comments about him and your turnover [#]sh#t and shove them straight up you A$$. I don't want to hear it.

Do you think that Ike comes back?

I doubt Maldo does. I don't know where he goes - but I don't see it.

I'm thinking Jeffries is in the brown and gold next year.
The only way I see Ike leaving is if Jeff Linder leaves, then I expect him to transfer.

Jeffries I could see leaving. European teams will pay him a lot of money to come and play there since he already has deep range, is a dominant rebounder, and plays solid defense. I think another year would really help his chances to play in the NBA, but I wouldn't be surprised if his family is ready to get paid.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:10 am Find a Riley Grabau type point guard.

Yeah, I would love to have a Riley on the roster, but I still think we need a quick shifty guard more for defensive reasons than anything else. It would be nice to get a ball handler that gives us the ability to run at 7220 and defend quick shifty guards that could get to the rim at will on us most of the season.

Don't get me wrong though, I would love a Riley Grabau on this roster.
bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

Might was well shoot higher than Grabau. Someone like Jay Straight or Brandon Ewing - great ball handlers who can penetrate and shoot. Straight was a great passer as well. It's amazing we won as much as we did without ever getting easy baskets in transition. I doubt Ike even knows what an outlet pass is. We have to make teams pay for sending everyone to the boards. No one is afraid we are going to beat them in transition.
WyoVaquero
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 11 times

I think Linder will find what we need.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 135 times
Been liked: 142 times

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am Might was well shoot higher than Grabau. Someone like Jay Straight or Brandon Ewing - great ball handlers who can penetrate and shoot. Straight was a great passer as well. It's amazing we won as much as we did without ever getting easy baskets in transition. I doubt Ike even knows what an outlet pass is. We have to make teams pay for sending everyone to the boards. No one is afraid we are going to beat them in transition.
This is spot on. We need slashers and we have none.
W-Y, Until I Die!
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

By a reliable source on the plane to Indy Monday nite we should be full strength next year, minus Hunter Maldonado...so that'll be cool. Also heard that Marcus Williams at Texas A&M asked to come back to UW with all his issues down there and UW told him basically get the hell outta here....which is good in my mindseye too
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

bladerunnr wrote: Wed Mar 16, 2022 11:47 am Might was well shoot higher than Grabau.
The reason I suggested Grabau is that he was a deadly 3-point shooter and DID NOT turn the ball over.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

stymeman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 pm By a reliable source on the plane to Indy Monday nite we should be full strength next year, minus Hunter Maldonado...so that'll be cool. Also heard that Marcus Williams at Texas A&M asked to come back to UW with all his issues down there and UW told him basically get the hell outta here....which is good in my mindseye too
Damn. Maldo not coming back? I wish he would. If he chooses not to come back that will make me sad.

If true, what will the offense look like next year?

Could Williams be reformed? Intriguing.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:28 pmThe reason I suggested Grabau is that he was a deadly 3-point shooter and DID NOT turn the ball over.
Also NEVER missed free throws. In the '14-'15 season he missed 6 of his 98 free throw attempts. That is insanely good.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 104 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm
stymeman wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:16 pm By a reliable source on the plane to Indy Monday nite we should be full strength next year, minus Hunter Maldonado...so that'll be cool. Also heard that Marcus Williams at Texas A&M asked to come back to UW with all his issues down there and UW told him basically get the hell outta here....which is good in my mindseye too
Damn. Maldo not coming back? I wish he would. If he chooses not to come back that will make me sad.

If true, what will the offense look like next year?

Could Williams be reformed? Intriguing.
Based on the stories about how he was bounced out of Laramie and seeing what has gone down in College Station, I don't think there's any way in hell we'll ever see him back in Laramie. Great ball skills, poor life skills.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Mar 17, 2022 2:34 pm
Damn. Maldo not coming back? I wish he would. If true, what will the offense look like next year?
As soon as Reynolds learns that when you shoot your are supposed to put thru the hoop, he will replace Maldo.