MWC Tournament vs. UNLV

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 213 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:08 pm Indiana and Texas A&M are both in now after their wins.

Probably knocks Xavier out and maybe Wake Forest.

Edit:

Actually Texas A&M probably needs to win one more game to get in for sure but they are close now.
Crazy how a team that lost 8 conference games in a row could get an at large to the NCAA. If worst case scenario happens that Wyoming doesn’t best Boise, it would be terrible if A&M received a bid over Wyoming.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Too close for comfort
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 15 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:40 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:08 pm Indiana and Texas A&M are both in now after their wins.

Edit:

Actually Texas A&M probably needs to win one more game to get in for sure but they are close now.
Crazy how a team that lost 8 conference games in a row could get an at large to the NCAA. If worst case scenario happens that Wyoming doesn’t best Boise, it would be terrible if A&M received a bid over Wyoming.
Well they play in a LOT tougher conference Than Wyoming does. SEC is the 3rd best basketball conference this year. A&M has won 6 in a row and they just beat the #4 team in the country. So if they get it it wouldn’t surprise me at all. They are playing well. If they win one more they will get in for sure.

The good news is they won’t be getting in over Wyoming.

Wyoming is already in.

Here is what will happen with Wyoming:

Wyoming loses tonight they will be playing in one of the play in games as a #12 seed on Tuesday or Wednesday to get the right to play a #5 seed on Thursday or Friday.

If Wyoming wins tonight they will be a 10 or 11 seed. If they win the tournament they probably end up a 9 seed.

So Wyoming is in, everyone can quit worrying. Basically right now we are trying to get one more win tonight so we don’t have to play a playin game on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wyomings metrics for the most part are better than quite a few bubble teams. I’ve been comparing them.

If Texas A&M gets in, it will mean a Xavier, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Dayton didn’t get in.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:55 pm

Edit:

Well they play in a LOT tougher conference Than Wyoming does. SEC is the 3rd best basketball conference this year. A&M has won 6 in a row and they just beat the #4 team in the country. So if they get it it wouldn’t surprise me at all. They are playing well. If they win one more they will get in for sure.

Wyoming is already in.

Wyoming loses tonight they will be playing in one of the play in games as a #12 seed on Tuesday or Wednesday to get the right to play a #5 seed on Thursday or Friday.

If Wyoming wins tonight they will be a 10 or 11 seed. If they win the tournament they probably end up a 9 seed.

So Wyoming is in, everyone can quit worrying. Basically right now we are trying to get one more win tonight so we don’t have to play a playin game on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Wyomings metrics for the most part are better than quite a few bubble teams. I’ve been comparing them.

If Texas A&M gets in, it will mean a Xavier, Wake Forest, Notre Dame, Dayton didn’t get in.
We can say things are facts but we all know Wyoming’s history in getting left out of postseason play. There will be some on that selection committee that looks at it and says should we really have 4 MWC teams.

Wyoming is far from a lock. ESPN’s own bubble watch ‘insider’ has Wyoming as a team with work to do even following the win over UNLV.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-baske ... tion-drama

That said - screw leaving it to these people. Let’s win the tournament.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 35 times
Been liked: 42 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:04 pm
We can say things are facts but we all know Wyoming’s history in getting left out of postseason play. There will be some on that selection committee that looks at it and says should we really have 4 MWC teams.

Wyoming is far from a lock. ESPN’s own bubble watch ‘insider’ has Wyoming as a team with work to do even following the win over UNLV.

For example, going 10-2, runner-up in the WAC, AND national ranked and we don't even get an invitation to a bowl game in 1996. Still PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

Edit:

Wyoming is already in.

I completely agree with this. The only way I'll feel comfortable that we're getting in the dance is if we win the MWC tournament. Otherwise, we leave a gigantic window open for the selection committee to do what they want to and what they usually do: screw a deserving MWC team out of a dance appearance and put some 12 loss turd from back east in instead.

We can't afford to lose tonight. It leaves the window open for us to get screwed.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Old-Bull wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:44 pm

Edit:

Wyoming is already in.

I completely agree with this. The only way I'll feel comfortable that we're getting in the dance is if we win the MWC tournament. Otherwise, we leave a gigantic window open for the selection committee to do what they want to and what they usually do: screw a deserving MWC team out of a dance appearance and put some 12 loss turd from back east in instead.

We can't afford to lose tonight. It leaves the window open for us to get screwed.
Also agree with the above. Expecting to be in the play-in games and feel comfortable that we are a lock in the tournament is definitely not a lock to me. Those play-in games are given to the last 4 teams to make the field. So if a loss tonight puts us there we are still at risk of missing the tournament with just a few other bubble teams winning another game. I think we are still sweating the spot on Sunday if we don't win tonight.

After yesterday I thought we were in but that was before some big wins by other bubble teams today. Those same bubble teams could get more wins tomorrow and if we lose tonight we can't.

Let's just make it easier and win tonight and tomorrow.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Rutgers down by 15 to Iowa late in the game. It will help assuming they lose. It will also help if Miami loses to Duke later. Both Rutgers and Miami currently projected ahead of us in seeding (11/12 seeds mostly but not in play-in games) but with much worse Net rankings. Their losses open the door more for us to move up off the play-in seed line.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

WyomingAgJ wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:12 pm Rutgers down by 15 to Iowa late in the game. It will help assuming they lose. It will also help if Miami loses to Duke later. Both Rutgers and Miami currently projected ahead of us in seeding (11/12 seeds mostly but not in play-in games) but with much worse Net rankings. Their losses open the door more for us to move up off the play-in seed line.
One thing that might help Pokes cause is the short window of days between games they played to end. Committee could give the Pokes a break knowing that.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

jwy_poke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:41 pm
WyomingAgJ wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:12 pm Rutgers down by 15 to Iowa late in the game. It will help assuming they lose. It will also help if Miami loses to Duke later. Both Rutgers and Miami currently projected ahead of us in seeding (11/12 seeds mostly but not in play-in games) but with much worse Net rankings. Their losses open the door more for us to move up off the play-in seed line.
One thing that might help Pokes cause is the short window of days between games they played to end. Committee could give the Pokes a break knowing that.
I doubt that they even look at or discuss that.

It will be this - "well the MWC isn't really that good and historically they haven't been good in the tournament...if we can find a way to reasonably keep a team out and send them to the NIT and to open up a spot for a different Power 5 team, let's do it" ...and because Wyoming has the lowest NET ranking out of the 4 MWC teams and because Wyoming went 4-4 to end conference season with a 'bad loss' to New Mexico, that will be their justification.

IMO, Wyoming basically must win tonight or we are going to the NIT. We have all seen this story play out before.
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

OrediggerPoke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:16 pm
jwy_poke wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:41 pm
I doubt that they even look at or discuss that.

It will be this - "well the MWC isn't really that good and historically they haven't been good in the tournament...if we can find a way to reasonably keep a team out and send them to the NIT and to open up a spot for a different Power 5 team, let's do it" ...and because Wyoming has the lowest NET ranking out of the 4 MWC teams and because Wyoming went 4-4 to end conference season with a 'bad loss' to New Mexico, that will be their justification.

IMO, Wyoming basically must win tonight or we are going to the NIT. We have all seen this story play out before.
You are wrong about the Pokes being left out. Probably won't know anyway because I expect to beat Boise tonight.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyoming is already in, you guys need to quit worrying about it. I wouldn’t pay attention to ESPN’s guys. They are okay but they aren’t the most accurate for bracketology.

Wyoming is already a LOCK to be in a play in game. Tonight is whether they can get in without having to play in that game.

I keep up on this stuff. Wyoming’s bubble resume is better than a lot of teams.

You guys can worry all you want but you are worrying for no reason.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:06 pm Wyoming is already in, you guys need to quit worrying about it. I wouldn’t pay attention to ESPN’s guys. They are okay but they aren’t the most accurate for bracketology.

Wyoming is already a LOCK to be in a play in game. Tonight is whether they can get in without having to play in that game.

And if you're wrong...you'll be eating a lot of crow!!!!

We've gotten screwed at the last second before so history could repeat.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 584 times
Been liked: 236 times

Seattlecowboy :thumb:
jwy_poke
Buckaroo

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:06 pm Wyoming is already in, you guys need to quit worrying about it. I wouldn’t pay attention to ESPN’s guys. They are okay but they aren’t the most accurate for bracketology.

Agree buddy.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Wyokie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:09 pm

And if you're wrong...you'll be eating a lot of crow!!!!

We've gotten screwed at the last second before so history could repeat.
I won’t eat any crow lol.

I will say this though, I thought if Wyoming lost tonight it would be a good game. Not a blow out. If we end up blown out then I don’t think we will get in.

Wasn’t expecting Wyoming to play this bad. We haven't done this all year except for against Arizona on the road which is understandable.

sandiegopoke
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 76 times

Wyokie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:30 pm For example, going 10-2, runner-up in the WAC, AND national ranked and we don't even get an invitation to a bowl game in 1996. Still PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
We matched up wayyyyyyy better than Utah against Wisconsin too.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

sandiegopoke wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:23 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:30 pm For example, going 10-2, runner-up in the WAC, AND national ranked and we don't even get an invitation to a bowl game in 1996. Still PISSES ME OFF!!!!!!!!! :tickedoff: :tickedoff:
We matched up wayyyyyyy better than Utah against Wisconsin too.
I think the reason the Copper Bowl didn't invite us in 1996 was...the 1993 Copper Bowl in which we got horsewhipped by Kansas State, 52-17.

But yeah, I agree. We coulda given the Badgers a better game than the Utes did.