Passing Stats Analysis 1991 - Present

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 33 times

ImageImageImageImage
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Good job, Chad!

I think the other part is 3rd down percentage. I'm totally guessing but I'll bet Bohl teams rank low in 3rd down conversions partly due to the inability to pass.

The other thing is one of the worst years with Bohl passing is with the best QB ever at WYO.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 50 times

MrTitleist wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 9:06 am Chad has a new blog up!
https://wyonation.com/2022/02/wyoming-p ... -to-today/
I appreciate the story. It's an interesting look at our current offensive problems.

That being said, I'm going to pick on it a little bit. With our current system I don't think throwing more passes would make us more successful. When I hear somebody say that (after every loss, and even a few wins) it sounds like fingernails on a chalkboard. I can almost hear my significant other say, "Why did they run the same play two times in a row?" Even though it wasn't the same play.

The problem is that the offense is based on perceived strengths that don't really exist in the modern game. For example, "We're going to line up and use our big guys to run over them." That doesn't work. Even at Alabama.

Bohl has said a few times that he's not a fan of analytics. That floors me. Why wouldn't he use all the information he has to win? Simple stats don't tell the whole story, especially in college football. Passing attempts don't include scrambles or sacks because even though a pass play was called, the ball wasn't thrown. Completion rates aren't necessarily a measure of accuracy. I'd say that our QBs getting over 50% this year was more a function of good receivers than QB accuracy.

Anyway, here's one of the best articles I've seen on the fundamentals of a good offense. Think I've probably shared it before. It's good stuff. Wyoming uses #1 pretty well, but we don't do 2-5 well at all. I'd add another fundamental to the list. #6 Deception. Not just trick plays, but formations and motion to get the defense to think we're doing something other than what we're trying to do. There's a reason we see a lot of RPO and play-action passing.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2018/ ... nts-basics
COS Cowboy
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Tom Corontzos, there's a name I've not heard in a long time. (insert Obi wan Kenobi meme here). He seemed like a thoroughly average quarterback at the time. His '91 season holds up pretty well though.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Should have done the Paul Roach teams as well. He was the best coach at Wyoming and had the best passing attack. Lot better coach than Tiller or Dimel or anyone else. He also had the best defenses. They ran the ball well also. Especially the 87 and 88 teams.

Not that it matters I guess. We won’t ever be that good again.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:09 pm Should have done the Paul Roach teams as well. He was the best coach at Wyoming and had the best passing attack. Lot better coach than Tiller or Dimel or anyone else. He also had the best defenses. They ran the ball well also. Especially the 87 and 88 teams.

The Roach Era was the best but...we never won a bowl. Although we came close twice....1987 Holiday vs. Iowa (losing 20-19) and 1990 Copper vs. California (losing 17-15).

No one wants to remember the 1988 Holiday and for good reason. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Wyokie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:09 pm Should have done the Paul Roach teams as well. He was the best coach at Wyoming and had the best passing attack. Lot better coach than Tiller or Dimel or anyone else. He also had the best defenses. They ran the ball well also. Especially the 87 and 88 teams.

The Roach Era was the best but...we never won a bowl. Although we came close twice....1987 Holiday vs. Iowa (losing 20-19) and 1990 Copper vs. California (losing 17-15).

Yeah. That was back when Bowl Games meant something. Wyoming had to play way tougher opponents when Roach was coaching than anything any of these other coaches have.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 5:31 pm
Wyokie wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 10:18 pm

Yeah. That was back when Bowl Games meant something. Wyoming had to play way tougher opponents when Roach was coaching than anything any of these other coaches have.
Plus with Roach we actually beat BYU in Provo in 1987. An event that'll never happen again.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!