ESPN BPI NCAA Tourney How it affects Wyoming

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/0 ... s.html?m=1

Pretty startling info in this article. Was wondering why the ESPN BPI metric seemed to be hurting the MWC teams and especially Wyoming.

From Article:

I went through the top-100 teams in the NET and picked out every team where the BPI rank was 10 spots greater or worse than the other two quality metrics. I then looked at both the change made by the BPI in terms of how far it moved the team's quality average and also looked at who the team's conference has their media rights with. Here are the results, with teams in red being teams ranked worse by BPI and teams in green being ranked better by BPI:

(Shows Teams here with metrics in article)

It seems noteworthy that every single team who benefits more from BPI is in a league that has a contract with ESPN. It also seems noteworthy that 8 of the 11 teams that are harmed most by BPI have their primary contracts with networks other than ESPN. The only potential at-large team that is harmed by the BPI is BYU. Every other viable at-large candidate that is harmed is with Fox and every viable at-large candidate that is helped is with ESPN.

How much impact might this have? In the case of a team like Marquette or Belmont, it could move them up or down one seed line. For teams like Colorado State or Wyoming, it could be 2-3 seed lines and possibly even keep them out of the tournament altogether. For a team currently on the bubble, like the Big East's Creighton, BPI could be the reason they miss the NCAA Tournament. Considering the value of NCAA Tournament Credits, this is hugely impactful, particularly for leagues that rely on College Basketball and the NCAA Tournament for significant portions of their revenue.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Wow. F ESPN
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

Do we know how any of the rankings are calculated? They seem like a lot of poop to me. BPI seems to be the worst of them all with the way they're treating the MWC.

Even the NET which I'm a fan of seems to vastly overrate "good" losses making teams like Oklahoma seem to move up the rankings from every game they play due to that conference being loaded.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 10:48 pm https://www.crackedsidewalks.com/2022/0 ... s.html?m=1

Pretty startling info in this article. Was wondering why the ESPN BPI metric seemed to be hurting the MWC teams and especially Wyoming.

From Article:

I went through the top-100 teams in the NET and picked out every team where the BPI rank was 10 spots greater or worse than the other two quality metrics. I then looked at both the change made by the BPI in terms of how far it moved the team's quality average and also looked at who the team's conference has their media rights with. Here are the results, with teams in red being teams ranked worse by BPI and teams in green being ranked better by BPI:

(Shows Teams here with metrics in article)

It seems noteworthy that every single team who benefits more from BPI is in a league that has a contract with ESPN. It also seems noteworthy that 8 of the 11 teams that are harmed most by BPI have their primary contracts with networks other than ESPN. The only potential at-large team that is harmed by the BPI is BYU. Every other viable at-large candidate that is harmed is with Fox and every viable at-large candidate that is helped is with ESPN.

How much impact might this have? In the case of a team like Marquette or Belmont, it could move them up or down one seed line. For teams like Colorado State or Wyoming, it could be 2-3 seed lines and possibly even keep them out of the tournament altogether. For a team currently on the bubble, like the Big East's Creighton, BPI could be the reason they miss the NCAA Tournament. Considering the value of NCAA Tournament Credits, this is hugely impactful, particularly for leagues that rely on College Basketball and the NCAA Tournament for significant portions of their revenue.
Wow. That's huge. Thanks for digging that up!

Last year's unit value was $340K. So if someone like Utah St doesn't make the tournament and Virginia Tech does, that's $1.7M in lost revenue for the MWC over the 6 year payout period. I'm surprised there hasn't been a lawsuit over the BPI.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Corruption involving ESPN. No doubt.

Why is a Craig Thompson silent. The MWC needs a new commish.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

BJ Rains that covers Boise St was mentioning it on Twitter and so was others. The guy who wrote it does a blog for Marquette and was saying stuff about it. They have linked Goodman and Gasaway and Jay Bilas and Andy Katz, all sorts of big wig basketball guys to it. So I’m sure people know about it now.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….