Cowgirls beat Denver, 6-0

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 34 times

From Wyoming Athletics:

LARAMIE, Wyo. (AP) -- Aubrey Vandiver scored 25 points and had 12 rebounds to help lift No. 24 Wyoming to a 61-45 win over Denver on Saturday.

The Cowgirls (6-0) trailed by as much as eight points during the first half after missing their first seven shots. But Vandiver scored nine points during a 17-5 run early in the second half for a 34-25 Wyoming lead.

Jodi Bolerjack scored 15 and Hanna Zavecz added 11 for Wyoming. Zavecz also had nine rebounds and a game-high seven assists.

Alisha Godette led Denver (2-3) with 17 points and Sara Benham had 14. Nnenna Akataobi scored 10.

In the first half, Godette scored 11 straight Denver points as the Pioneers jumped out to an 8-0 lead and led 20-17 at the break.

Notes/Quotes

"We talked at halftime that Denver was going to switch all our screens and we just needed to relax," said UW head coach Joe Legerski. "We need to just relax, be patient and attack the basket. I thought we came out in the second half played more confident. We made a change in the line-up and put Aubrey in. She had a great line, 25 points, 12 rebounds, three steals on 30 minutes of play, and did a nice job being aggressive on the boards and gave us a big lift."

Wyoming shot 20-55 (.364) from the field and out rebounded the Pioneers 39-31.

UW will take on the Colorado Buffaloes, on Wednesday, Dec. 5, in Boulder, then head off to the Iowa Hawkeye Challenge in Iowa City, Iowa over next weekend.
ImageImageImageImage
tttgowyo
Ranch Hand

GREAT JOB COWGIRLS!! KEEP IT UP.. THIS IS THE BEST THING GOING FOR A LONG TIME IN UW SPORTS... WE ARE RANKED! DO I WISH IT WAS THE COWBOYS, OF COURSE, BUT I WILL TAKE IT.

GO POKES!!