What is Bohl's fault and what is not.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

OrediggerPoke wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 6:39 am
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm Boho didn't mince words when talking about QB play last year at today's signing day press conference

I was pretty shocked that this came from Bohl. That was quite a dig at Williams and Chambers. Not that it wasn't true but Bohl has been pretty tight lipped about those kind of things and usually took the high road. My guess is that Williams and Chambers hang that quote up on his wall.
Bohl speaks the truth. And I don't think he should have to be nice to kids that basically said "screw you, Wyoming". We want honesty from the coaches and this is honesty.
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Honesty would be admitting he doesn't have a f-word clue how to put together a passing game as a HC.

This is passing the buck.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:35 am
WYO1016 wrote: Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:10 pm Boho didn't mince words when talking about QB play last year at today's signing day press conference

I was pretty shocked that this came from Bohl. That was quite a dig at Williams and Chambers. Not that it wasn't true but Bohl has been pretty tight lipped about those kind of things and usually took the high road. My guess is that Williams and Chambers hang that quote up on his wall.
Bohl speaks the truth. And I don't think he should have to be nice to kids that basically said "screw you, Wyoming". We want honesty from the coaches and this is honesty.
You took that exactly how he wanted you to.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 am

Little of A and a little of B in my opinion. Does anybody think WIlliams or Chambers had a bunch of throwing potential? I don't. I think it's absolutely true that the ability of the guy under center makes a difference in how you structure an offense.

Is it true that Bohl could have chosen his words more carefully? Maybe taken more ownership of the offensive problems? ...by the way problems that predate either Chambers or Williams. Yep that is true as well.

And can we put a moratorium on the inferiority complex that compels us to assign malice every time a player decides to transfer? My money is that none of them ever said "screw you" to Wyoming or implied it. There has got to be a better way to conceptualize the player movement than just blaming the players.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

f-word duh. That’s what happens when you recruit QBs based on build and running ability while basically completely ignoring things like, you know, how well they see the field and throw a ball.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

If you look at this you would think he was a pretty good QB to sign. I don’t think the problem is just the QB.

High School: Levi Williams, a 6-5 and 215-pound quarterback, was selected First Team All-District 26-6A his senior season. Class 6A is the largest classification in Texas high school football. Williams' senior season, he accounted for 3,239 passing yards and threw 32 touchdown passes. He added 1,230 rushing yards and 16 rushing TDs for 4,469 yards of total offense and 48 TDs responsible for. He was ranked as a three-star recruit by Rivals, 247Sports and ESPN. Williams was ranked by 247Sports as the fifth best pro-style quarterback in the talent-rich state of Texas in 2018. He also earned Second Team All-San Antonio honors as a senior. His junior season, Williams threw for 2,111 yards and 25 TD passes, while rushing for 383 yards and six rushing touchdowns for 2,494 yards of total offense and 31 TDs responsible for. He earned Academic All-District honors twice during his high school career, and was voted a team captain as a senior. Williams also ran track and field. He was coached at Smithson Valley High School by Larry Hill. Williams was also recruited by Houston, Baylor, Oklahoma State and TCU.
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

307bball wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:38 am
bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:55 am

Little of A and a little of B in my opinion. Does anybody think WIlliams or Chambers had a bunch of throwing potential? I don't. I think it's absolutely true that the ability of the guy under center makes a difference in how you structure an offense.

Is it true that Bohl could have chosen his words more carefully? Maybe taken more ownership of the offensive problems? ...by the way problems that predate either Chambers or Williams. Yep that is true as well.

And can we put a moratorium on the inferiority complex that compels us to assign malice every time a player decides to transfer? My money is that none of them ever said "screw you" to Wyoming or implied it. There has got to be a better way to conceptualize the player movement than just blaming the players.
This is the smartest thing I've seen on this board all year.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WYO1016 wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:14 am
McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:55 am Well - that is quite the bad look for 'ol Bohly. Feeling some heat maybe? Eerily similar to the end of the Glenn tenure.
I think he's definitely feeling the heat. If we underperform as badly as we did last year this will be his last year. His mouth wrote a lot of checks his ass couldn't cash last season, and there were a LOT of angry emails sent Burman's way.
I agree with your sentiments...he is wearing on the fanbase these days.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 145 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 7:55 am Well - that is quite the bad look for 'ol Bohly. Feeling some heat maybe? Eerily similar to the end of the Glenn tenure.
I think he's definitely feeling the heat. If we underperform as badly as we did last year this will be his last year. His mouth wrote a lot of checks his ass couldn't cash last season, and there were a LOT of angry emails sent Burman's way.
Are you seriously implying that Bohl is getting fired if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game?

The passing game is a black eye for sure and losing to the crappy teams sucks but you’re high if you think beating csu and going 6-6 is getting him fired
W-Y, Until I Die!
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:50 am Are you seriously implying that Bohl is getting fired if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game?

The passing game is a black eye for sure and losing to the crappy teams sucks but you’re high if you think beating csu and going 6-6 is getting him fired
I'm not implying that if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game he'll get fired. I'm saying if the team underperforms to the level that they did last season he's gone. Expectations are not high this year. I HIGHLY doubt there's going to be statements like "this is the deepest team I've ever coached" or the like. Expectations will be a 7ish win season. If we win 4 games he's gone.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 9:10 am
laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:50 am Are you seriously implying that Bohl is getting fired if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game?

I'm not implying that if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game he'll get fired. I'm saying if the team underperforms to the level that they did last season he's gone. Expectations are not high this year. I HIGHLY doubt there's going to be statements like "this is the deepest team I've ever coached" or the like. Expectations will be a 7ish win season. If we win 4 games he's gone.
Those expecting 7 wins are off their rocker. You don’t lose all your skill position talent and half your defensive starters to the portal and expect any kind of bowl team performance. It’s just not realistic.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Looking back at the title of the thread "What is Bohl's fault and what is not."

Well, it is all his fault, his successes and his failures. He is the CEO of Wyoming Football, and it all starts & stops with him.

I am not a fan of making excuses for the lack of success of our football program, especially when it comes to coaches and administrators.
Dear Karma,

bladerunnr
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 66 times

laxwyo wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 8:50 am
I think he's definitely feeling the heat. If we underperform as badly as we did last year this will be his last year. His mouth wrote a lot of checks his A$$ couldn't cash last season, and there were a LOT of angry emails sent Burman's way.
Are you seriously implying that Bohl is getting fired if we go 7-6 and win a bowl game?

If we go 7-6 and 2-6 in the conference again, then he should get fired. We've had a losing conference record more often than not under Bohl. Time to move on.
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

I'm curious ... Some of you seem to want a few wins so much that you accept the fact that "a few wins" will keep Bohl at UW. Do any of you wish that we'd have a really bad season, and Bohl would get the axe? I have no opinion either way. I'm just curious.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:31 am I'm curious ... Some of you seem to want a few wins so much that you accept the fact that "a few wins" will keep Bohl at UW. Do any of you wish that we'd have a really bad season, and Bohl would get the axe? I have no opinion either way. I'm just curious.
I hope we go undefeated every year just like every Wyoming fan should. If someone really wants Wyoming to tank then they are not a Wyoming fan plain and simple.

Unfortunately, I have a hard time seeing a lot of success next year. But I'll be damn glad if I am wrong.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

WyoGeezer wrote: Fri Feb 04, 2022 11:31 am I'm curious ... Some of you seem to want a few wins so much that you accept the fact that "a few wins" will keep Bohl at UW. Do any of you wish that we'd have a really bad season, and Bohl would get the axe? I have no opinion either way. I'm just curious.
Never. I want every coach at UW to win all their games, always, even dickface.
Dear Karma,

fromolwyoming
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Bohl and company have done a good job in developing the defense. Offense has been touch and go. Yes, Josh is damn special. And he had talent and drive from the moment he stepped on that field. But his development was lackluster. Brian Hill set all kinds of rushing records here. But outside of being a pass blocker, he did almost nothing in the passing game here. And he's had to jump from one team to another in the NFL. WR and TE are similar.

Even our 2016 team, of the offensive stars from that, only Josh and Chase Roullier are starters (consistently).

So, offense is lacking in development, especially compared to the defense. So, yeah. Offense really has issues that need to be looked at.