First NET rankings out:

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Nice, thanks Seattle. Not sure I'm crazy about margin of victory being so much of a factor. If I had my own rating systems I would put less emphasis on that than KenPom.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

Well Wyoming is down to #39 in NET. Dropped 4 spots after yesterdays win.

Imagine mostly because Stanford lost again and is now a Quad 3 loss, which gives us two quad 3 losses which are bad losses.

Last year the top 41 teams in NET made the tournament and after that it came down to whether the committee thought you deserved it or not by comparing more teams against you and using the eye test.

So Wyoming needs to stay in that top 40 or else they may get left out.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Ugh. The New Nexuco loss was horrible
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Looking at rankings Wyoming isn’t sitting well for an at-large bid. The rankings make no sense when you look at BYU. I posted the below on another thread.

KenPom has the Pokes at 49 (BYU is at 52 which is the real BS). The real BS is SDSU 23 and rated higher than Boise 25, and CSU at 40. I don’t see the MW getting more than 3 in the NCAA tourney. UW is going to be outside looking in if they don’t win some games for an at large, or win the MW outright.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Boise St, CSU and San Diego Dr all have a better NET rating and Kenpom rating than us now.

Also Fresno St. is at 75 in net now. If they drop to 76 or below then our quad 1 win over them drops to a Quad 2 win which will drag us down farther in the net.

The other Quad 1 win is over Utah St. they are at 64 in net now. If they drop 12 spots to 76 after a couple more losses then Wyoming will have no quad 1 wins.

A loss to CSU will be bad. If Wyoming loses 2 more games and doesn’t win the MWC tournament there is a really good chance they don’t make the big tourney. Will go to the NIT.
Last edited by seattlecowboy on Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

Itsux2beaewe wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:42 pm Looking at rankings Wyoming isn’t sitting well for an at-large bid. The rankings make no sense when you look at BYU. I posted the below on another thread.

KenPom has the Pokes at 49 (BYU is at 52 which is the real BS). The real BS is SDSU 23 and rated higher than Boise 25, and CSU at 40. I don’t see the MW getting more than 3 in the NCAA tourney. UW is going to be outside looking in if they don’t win some games for an at large, or win the MW outright.
Well BYU played a LOT better out of conference than Wyoming did. That is why they are able to be rated decently high still after 8 losses. A lot of it depends how tough of schedule you played and if you played teams on the road and if you played them close.

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:50 pm Will go to the NIT.
That's the sad truth, short of winning the conference tournament. On the other hand, the Pokes would make it to the NIT final four.
Itsux2beaewe
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 302 times
Been liked: 128 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:00 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 12:50 pm Will go to the NIT.
That's the sad truth, short of winning the conference tournament. On the other hand, the Pokes would make it to the NIT final four.
and post season play would be good, but this is a dam good team and it’ll be really disappointing if they don’t do well in the MW or the NCAA tournament.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time

I had hoped New Mexico would win a couple games and move up 7 spots to 135 in the Net to bump up that loss to a Q2 loss for us, but UNM just lost by 16 to SJSU today and I imagine that will tank their Net ranking the other direction. So it looks like that will be staying a Q3 loss for us.
Subcanis
A Real Cowboy

WTF UNM.
"I never saw a buckin' hoss to top Steamboat. Fact is, he was the closest thing to perpetual motion that ever wore hair. Few men could stand that kind of battering without bleeding from the nose, and most became nauseated as well. Ol' Steamboat put some of the toughest into the hospital for repairs."
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyomingAgJ wrote: Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:48 pm I had hoped New Mexico would win a couple games and move up 7 spots to 135 in the Net to bump up that loss to a Q2 loss for us, but UNM just lost by 16 to SJSU today and I imagine that will tank their Net ranking the other direction. So it looks like that will be staying a Q3 loss for us.
What a poop loss to New Mexico. Complete disaster. That may keep us out of the tourney unless we can’t go 4-1 in the remaining games
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

The doom and gloom is GREATLY exaggerated here. We're 22-4 FFS. Yes, the Lobo loss wasn't ideal, but it also wasn't a death knell. If we take care of business this week we'll be riding high again.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:26 am The doom and gloom is GREATLY exaggerated here. We're 22-4 FFS. Yes, the Lobo loss wasn't ideal, but it also wasn't a death knell. If we take care of business this week we'll be riding high again.
I wasn’t posting anything Dom and gloom. Just the facts. If Wyoming loses 3 more games. 2 in the regular season and one in the MWC tournament their metrics won’t be good enough for a “should be in” the NCAA tournament scenario. They will be very very much on the bubble , closer to the NIT then to the Big Dance.

That’s why I said they can’t lose two more regular season games and not win the MWC tourney without their being a very real chance they go to the NIT instead of the NCAA tournament.

Maybe you were talking about others. Not sure.

The New Mexico loss hurt the metrics really bad none the less.

Obviously if they go 4-1 or 5-0 the rest of they way they shouldn’t have problems. As long as the loss isn’t to a bad team.