Grand Canyon

Everything Cowboy and Cowgirl Basketball, plus other Cowboy athletics
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

All I know about Grand Canyon is they are a for profit university, have excellent crowds at their games and have a lot of rich boosters and probably pay their players.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

ESPN BPI only gives us a 17.7% chance of winning. That being said, the season is still young enough where we don't know much about anyone.

Wyoming Scheudle: Result [Opponent KenPom rating]:
vs. Detroit Mercy: W 85-47 [233]
vs. Arkansas Pine-Bluff: W 85-45 [356]
@ Washington: W 77-72 [141]
Average result: 82.3-54.6 [243.3]

Grand Canyon Schedule: Result [Opponent KenPom rating]:
vs. Grambling: W 74-53 [333]
vs. North Flordia: W 65-51 [242]
vs. Prairie View A&M: W 91-64 [250]
Average result: 76.7-56 [275]

Wyoming ratings:
KenPom - 142
NET - 163
RPI - 129

Grand Canyon ratings:
KenPom - 126
NET - 108
RPI - 218
  • Grand Canyon hasn't played a road game or any teams good at basketball yet this season
  • These teams put up very similar defensive scoring numbers
  • Grand Canyon shoots the 3 VERY well. 47.8%.
  • Grand Canyon turns the ball over a lot. 15 per game
This will be the first true test for Grand Canyon this year. They were a tournament team last year, so it will be a tough game. Coming out of there with a win would be huge for this young Pokes team.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 16 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:34 pm ESPN BPI only gives us a 17.7% chance of winning. That being said, the season is still young enough where we don't know much about anyone.

Wyoming ratings:
KenPom - 142
NET - 163
RPI - 129

Grand Canyon ratings:
KenPom - 126
NET - 108
RPI - 218
  • Grand Canyon hasn't played a road game or any teams good at basketball yet this season
This will be the first true test for Grand Canyon this year. They were a tournament team last year, so it will be a tough game. Coming out of there with a win would be huge for this young Pokes team.
I wouldn’t even look at any of those ratings. They mean nothing right now. Too early in the year. BPI had Washington with like an 83% chance to beat us also and I knew that was ridiculous. Grand Canyon isn’t any better than Washington. Wyoming should have an easier time with Grand Canyon then they did Washington.

I’ll be surprised if Wyoming isn’t favored when the line comes out. Wyoming will shoot better from 3 this game in my opinion. While Washington is still a team trying to gel they do have good and long Athletes. Grand Canyon doesn’t and Wyoming should be fine.

I think the only games Wyoming can have trouble with in non conference is maybe Liberty in the 2nd round of that tournament and BYU in the championship game if it ends up that way. Then Arizona at Arizona. We should be good in the rest of them with not much of a problem unless we do a bunch of stupid stuff that would be totally unexpected.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

488-348 +721 Units won in 6.5 months follow @bet_chase on twitter….
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Been liked: 45 times

I just hope none of the players doesn't do anything stupid off the court like get into a bar fight. :roll:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
DVDA
A Real Cowboy

seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 pm
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 3:34 pm ESPN BPI only gives us a 17.7% chance of winning. That being said, the season is still young enough where we don't know much about anyone.

Wyoming ratings:
KenPom - 142
NET - 163
RPI - 129

Grand Canyon ratings:
KenPom - 126
NET - 108
RPI - 218
I wouldn’t even look at any of those ratings. They mean nothing right now. Too early in the year. BPI had Washington with like an 83% chance to beat us also and I knew that was ridiculous. Grand Canyon isn’t any better than Washington. Wyoming should have an easier time with Grand Canyon then they did Washington.

I’ll be surprised if Wyoming isn’t favored when the line comes out. Wyoming will shoot better from 3 this game in my opinion. While Washington is still a team trying to gel they do have good and long Athletes. Grand Canyon doesn’t and Wyoming should be fine.

I think the only games Wyoming can have trouble with in non conference is maybe Liberty in the 2nd round of that tournament and BYU in the championship game if it ends up that way. Then Arizona at Arizona. We should be good in the rest of them with not much of a problem unless we do a bunch of stupid stuff that would be totally unexpected.
Have you watched Grand Canyon play yet? I haven't unfortunately but they certainly look really good on paper against some weak competition. I am much less confident in this team after they shot and passed so poorly at Washington.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

DVDA wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:03 pm
seattlecowboy wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 6:51 pm

Wyoming ratings:
KenPom - 142
NET - 163
RPI - 129

Grand Canyon ratings:
KenPom - 126
NET - 108
RPI - 218

Have you watched Grand Canyon play yet? I haven't unfortunately but they certainly look really good on paper against some weak competition. I am much less confident in this team after they shot and passed so poorly at Washington.
I have not but I have watched their scores. They won’t be anywhere near as talented or athletic as Washington is. They may play better as a team.

I looked closer at Washington’s team and they sucked last year but are a lot different team this year than last. They probably haven’t gelled yet but could end up being decent. They got a bunch of transfers from other schools of guys that grew up here in Seattle and all went to other D1 schools and got them to transfer back here this year and play together.

Their guard Brown was at Arizona last year and was 2nd in the country in assist to turnover ratio and started for Arizona. Their other guard Dejaun Davis was at Stanford the last 3 years where he was on the all freshman Pac 12 team then made 2nd team All Pac 12.

One of their forwards Emitt Mathews started at West Virginia for Bob Huggins the last 3 years.

Their guard Bajema played at Michigan last 2 years.

Fuller played at TCU.

Also a couple of freshman that are McDonald’s all Americans.

Most of these guys are from Seattle-Tacoma area that came back. They have some of the best high school basketball in the country these days up here.

This could end up being a good win for us if Washington gels. It’s just that I don’t trust their coach.

From an athletic stand point Grand Canyon wont be close to Washington. We should be able to handle them.

Follow me on Twitter for all of your Free/Paid sports wagers all year around. Football, Basketball, Baseball, Hockey, Soccer, Tennis, etc….

phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

Living in the Phoenix area, I have seen them on TV a little bit, and they are good. It should be a close competitive game. I will be there tomorrow night. Looking forward to seeing my Pokes in person.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Is there TV for this game?
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times

LanderPoke wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 3:36 pm Is there TV for this game?
It's on down here on Cox cable channel 9. Not sure if that helps you at all. At the least, maybe you can find a stream.
seattlecowboy
WyoNation Addict

It’s on ESPN plus. Not sure if they have any free trials or not.

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

seattlecowboy wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 7:18 pm
It’s on ESPN plus. Not sure if they have any free trials or not.
Cool. I subscribe to that
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

This mornings paper betting odds has Grand Canyon by 3 over Pokes.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

The Grand Canyon web site lists "fubo" as carrying the game. fubo apparently has a 7-day free trial period before the rate goes to $60 a MONTH!

https://www.fubo.tv/lp/collegebasketbal ... rad=367782

If anybody tries this, please post experience on canceling the 7-day free period
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 105 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:31 am The Grand Canyon web site lists "fubo" as carrying the game. fubo apparently has a 7-day free trial period before the rate goes to $60 a MONTH!

https://www.fubo.tv/lp/collegebasketbal ... rad=367782

If anybody tries this, please post experience on canceling the 7-day free period
Fubo is most likely sponsoring that post. It's on ESPN+.

Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

WYO1016 wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:11 am Fubo is most likely sponsoring that post. It's on ESPN+.
Yes, I think that Fubo is carrying the ESPN+ feed. But my understanding is that you must subscribe to ESPN+ and it does NOT have a free trial period. But you can cancel at any time. So it will cost you (if you don't already have a subscription) about $7 to watch the game directly from ESPN+.
CitizenCane
Buckaroo

Not sure its of any value but a Youtube post just went up that was titled:

"LIVE | Wyoming vs Grand Canyon - 2021 NCAA College Men's Basketball Live Stream"

I will check it out.
Also: The Fullerton game is also listed as being on ESPN+ so if you get it, don't cancel for a week or so.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict

Looks like Fubo and YouTube Sports are somewhat similar. They each carry several networks and offer 7-day free trials. After that - charge. So far I see nothing free without jumping through hoops (hey -- that's an appropriate one for basketball!).
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

Looks like a great atmosphere! Wish it'd pickup in laramie. These kids deserve to get that home court advantage
W-Y, Until I Die!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

This game will be a dog fight
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 136 times
Been liked: 146 times

ok, these broadcast guys are a bit extreme.
W-Y, Until I Die!