Neyor, need other routes instead of the fad.

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
BeachPoke
Ranch Hand

Ok so my thoughts on Neyor is that we need to use or isolate him more often than just around the goal line.. he is no doubt more than capable to handle those situations but we need more to keep the defense at bay. The pokes need to come in to this game with mean streak, smack Boise in mouth and get over this hump.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

When you run so much between the tackles, throwing the fade is a good idea IMO. It keeps the safeties honest and prevents them from loading the box. Otherwise the defense risks man coverage on Neyor on the outside which most corners are not going to win the jump ball battle. I say we need to throw more fades to Neyor because he has proven that even in a 50-50 jump ball situation, we are in a good spot.
Cornpoke
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 6 times

I see no reason to. He is the fastest player on the field, sending Neyor deep as much as possible opens other routes for receivers & strengthens the run game. A safety will have to help cover over the top with that kind of deep threat. Having a deep threat helps in so many aspects of the running and passing game. That's all Randy moss did and he made a hall of fame career out of it.

It finally looks like we have a QB capable of hitting him deep, which in turn helps so many other parts of the offense.
I'm good for 3!
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 73 times
Been liked: 243 times

Cornpoke wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 1:59 pm I see no reason to. He is the fastest player on the field, sending Neyor deep as much as possible opens other routes for receivers & strengthens the run game. A safety will have to help cover over the top with that kind of deep threat. Having a deep threat helps in so many aspects of the running and passing game. That's all Randy moss did and he made a hall of fame career out of it.

It finally looks like we have a QB capable of hitting him deep, which in turn helps so many other parts of the offense.
Agree completely. And if the defense decides not to provide safety help...I like our chances on connecting on some bombs.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 45 times

Open up the playbook and hit him deep
flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 129 times
Been liked: 50 times

He's been targeted on 61 pass attempts this season (caught 26). That's about 27% of our pass attempts going his way. Those weren't all fade routes. I think they're trying to get him the ball a bunch. QB play hasn't been able to accurately deliver him the ball.

To put that into perspective, 61 targets is tied for 7th most in the nation for freshman receivers. His catch rate is just 42%, which is pretty low. Seems to follow our QB completion percentage.

Considering that teams are keying on him now, and he usually gets their best coverage corner and double teams when he goes deep, I'd say we're trying hard to get the ball in his hands more.