Home Opener vs. Montana State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:45 am
WyomingAgJ wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:54 am Anyone aware of any online stream that will be available of the game for us out of state folks that can't make it in person?
Stadium will be carrying the game
Excellent thanks for the info
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

We are Wyoming and can NEVER ovelook anyone, Eastern Michigan ring a bell...pathetic
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

WYO1016 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:45 am Stadium will be carrying the game
The schedule on GoWyo.com says MW Network/facebook for video coverage.

But as an aside, has GoWyo.com drastically changed its format? When I brought up the site today I had trouble navigating it because it looked so different. I don't like it.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 106 times

Adv8RU12 wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 am
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:45 am Stadium will be carrying the game
The schedule on GoWyo.com says MW Network/facebook for video coverage.

But as an aside, has GoWyo.com drastically changed its format? When I brought up the site today I had trouble navigating it because it looked so different. I don't like it.
I believe that Stadium is the official Mountain West Digital Network provider. I do wish that the University would make the messaging clear.
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

If the Bohl 'Pokes win against a FCS team I'll be relieved.

I have no idea how folks still have decent expectations of a coach/team that's had a winning record three of the last seven seasons, and only two seasons in-conference.

Bohl found a sweet spot of mediocrity that'll let him hang on forever. Just give us 8 wins every three years.
52-56
WyoGeezer
Buckaroo
Been liked: 2 times

AMEN to jessejames02! 38 wins and 44 losses ... at a million per year. Helluva bargain!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

WyoGeezer wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:59 pm AMEN to jessejames02! 38 wins and 44 losses ... at a million per year. Helluva bargain!
If you look at it in a vacuum, sure. However, 18 of those losses came in the first 2 years. Obviously those 2 years were a disaster. Since then, he has been 8-6, 8-5, 6-6, 8-5 and the disaster last year of 2-4.

Other than the abomination last year, in my opinion, Bohl has done a good job of building a solid program. The offense obviously has also been a disaster. If he fixes the offense, which I think he will, then the POKES will be a tough out for most teams. The thing to keep in mind is that pre-BCS era is irrelevant to modern football. In modern football, WYO has a history and culture of being a bottom dwelling team. You don't fix decades of losing overnight. I believe last year was an outlier on the trajectory of where Bohl wants to go. This year will be a fantastic litmus test. He has an experienced team and there should be no excuses. Championship? Maybe. Damn good year with 9+ wins? Definitely.

If we struggle against MSU or have another .500 year in conference, I'll be all in with you guys.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:32 am
WyoGeezer wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 5:59 pm AMEN to jessejames02! 38 wins and 44 losses ... at a million per year. Helluva bargain!
If you look at it in a vacuum, sure. However, 18 of those losses came in the first 2 years. Obviously those 2 years were a disaster. Since then, he has been 8-6, 8-5, 6-6, 8-5 and the disaster last year of 2-4.

Other than the abomination last year, in my opinion, Bohl has done a good job of building a solid program. The offense obviously has also been a disaster. If he fixes the offense, which I think he will, then the POKES will be a tough out for most teams. The thing to keep in mind is that pre-BCS era is irrelevant to modern football. In modern football, WYO has a history and culture of being a bottom dwelling team. You don't fix decades of losing overnight. I believe last year was an outlier on the trajectory of where Bohl wants to go. This year will be a fantastic litmus test. He has an experienced team and there should be no excuses. Championship? Maybe. Damn good year with 9+ wins? Definitely.

If we struggle against MSU or have another .500 year in conference, I'll be all in with you guys.
Man...Somebody making some sense. Well said Ragtime.

I would add...there is the metric of wins/losses but there is also attendance and general fan engagement. Despite those here who are frustrated with "mediocrity"...attendance and fan engagement is a metric that Bohl has done very well with. I don't like the idea of being middling MWC team year in year out, and I have missed very few home games in the last 25 years,.....the current iteration of the program has raised the bar. Attendance numbers do lie...but the eye test of a full stadium does not. Ultimately...that is what pays Bohl's salary.
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

Agree as well and well said. The win/loss trends of Glenn's and DC's era toward the end of their tenures were going the opposite way. If Bohl is not successful with this deep and experienced team, then I see concerns. But I am predicting a very good year (10 wins).
jessejames02
Ranch Hand

I know it's not what you're saying, but I read this as: If you don't count all the seasons with losing records, then he has a winning record.
52-56
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

jessejames02 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 8:43 pm

I know it's not what you're saying, but I read this as: If you don't count all the seasons with losing records, then he has a winning record.
I think that's pretty much what he is saying. Bohl is going to get a pass on those first two years since he completely blew up the program - reversed the offensive philosophy, and changed the culture. Those years were some of the worst football I've ever watched, but it does seem like Bohl is trending in the right direction (outside of COVID year). I'm excited to see what Polasek can bring to the offensive side of the ball. On paper, this team looks stacked. We potentially have the best receiver talent in Bohl's tenure, and I'm including 2016. We also have the deepest backfield I can remember. X, Trey, Swen, and now DQ - that's a ridiculous amount of talent. If Chambers and the O Line can stay healthy, and if Chamber's accuracy has improved as much as they say - then look out. That's what has been missing from taking this team to the next level.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

PokeNer wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:58 am

I think that's pretty much what he is saying. Bohl is going to get a pass on those first two years since he completely blew up the program - reversed the offensive philosophy, and changed the culture. Those years were some of the worst football I've ever watched, but it does seem like Bohl is trending in the right direction (outside of COVID year). I'm excited to see what Polasek can bring to the offensive side of the ball. On paper, this team looks stacked. We potentially have the best receiver talent in Bohl's tenure, and I'm including 2016. We also have the deepest backfield I can remember. X, Trey, Swen, and now DQ - that's a ridiculous amount of talent. If Chambers and the O Line can stay healthy, and if Chamber's accuracy has improved as much as they say - then look out. That's what has been missing from taking this team to the next level.
Agree with all except the receiver talent. Gentry and hollister is better than whatever unproven players we have now. Maybe I’ll be singing a different tune later
PokeNer
Ranch Hand

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:20 am
PokeNer wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:58 am

Agree with all except the receiver talent. Gentry and hollister is better than whatever unproven players we have now. Maybe I’ll be singing a different tune later
I was thinking more true receivers - I think Neyor is going to be an extremely dangerous weapon, and will be better in the long run than Gentry. I also think Cobbs and Brown are going to be really good, and it sounds like Sargent is an added threat. Hollister >> than our current crop of TEs, but I'm excited to see what Welch can do. Bohl has been singing his praises since he was signed.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

His overall record is what his overall record is. However, I certainly didn't expect much in the first season or 2 and certainly didn't have the same expectations in years 1 and 2 as I do in year 8. Thus, in my opinion, the losses are rated a little different depending on year. Last year was a head scratcher, and, if this year follows that same trend, then, hell yeah, Bohl has some explaining to do.

I don't think that will happen. I think (outside of last year), Bohl has had a pretty decent trajectory overall. Some gaps obviously have prevented championship caliber teams, but I do think that is part of the process of building a new identity and culture. If a few more pieces come together, then things will look pretty good. As pointed out above by 307bball, the fan support is doing pretty well, the recruiting and development seem to be doing well, the defense seems solid most years, the running game is on track, the overall culture of the program is solid, etc. It takes quite a bit to build that much. Make progress on O and hopefully get the offensive side as solid as defensive side and continue to get to the point of consistency on special teams. Once those are added to the pieces in place already, Bohl will have done a heck of a job.

Like I said, if it derails this year against a relatively weak schedule, then, yeah, we have problems. I don't think that will be the case. I think this will be the next step on the upward trajectory.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
The MICKSTER
Buckaroo

Bobcat Fan & Alum here……

Just to give you a little info regarding the Bobcats playing FBS opponents…..Over the past 20+ years or so MSU has probably played ~ a dozen or more FBS teams, only coming out on top once in 2006 vs Colorado 19-10. It was Dan Hawkins debut as the Buffalo’s coach coming from Boise State. The Buff’s only won 2 games that season, but came within a point of beating #7 Georgia that year, and, we lost to Div II Chadron State at home the next week……go figure…???

Generally, vs FBS opponents MSU loses by 20ish+ points but we’ve also come within a heartbeat of beating SMU & Washington State, and were close (15-10) vs Oklahoma State. Back in 2003 you beat us 21-10. We outgained you 353 to 234 yards, but the difference was your defense forced 5 turnovers (4 int’s) to seal the win. You went on to beat your rival CSU along with BYU, & Utah State that year as well.

MSU has so many questions regarding this season. Not only did we not play a game since December of 2019 (i.e. zero games in 2020) but we have a new Head Coach who has never been a Head Coach before as well…..were you guys aware of that…..LOL. Additionally, our roster turnover has been substantially higher than from what it sounds like yours has been. So, to say we have an ‘uphill battle’ in this opener is not overstating the facts.

I think the one, and possibly only, advantage we have over you is that our staff (i.e. Vigen) knows more about your staff and especially your players, than your staff knows about our staff and players. Will that be enough to make a difference……..I’m not betting on it but I do think that is something that leans in our favor.

It sounds like we’ll be watching two very talented college football MLB’s on Saturday. I think it’ll be hard to compare the two based on stats, but I’ll be interested to see how we can limit Muma(#48) 6’3” 242 LBS and if Anderson(#15) 6’4” 235 LBS can make an impact.

My guess is….it will be a fast-paced game (i.e. more runs than passes for both teams). By the sounds of it, Bohl coached teams generally play a conservative game and don’t ‘blow out’ many opponents just because of the style of football he coaches. So our hope would be that it stays somewhat close into the 3rd quarter and there is a late turnover, maybe a tipped pass for a pick 6 or something like that…..then who knows.

My wife and I will be at the game and are planning on camping near hot springs & fishing our way back to Bozeman for the CATS home opener on Sep 11th. We’re planning on stops in Saratoga, maybe Alcova, (N Platte), Thermopolis (Bighorn/Wind) and Jackson (Snake). Any advice/recommendations would be welcomed.

Happy trails Poke fans……
ZapPoke
Cowpoke
Has liked: 31 times
Been liked: 40 times

Ha ha. I was talking about the actual game. I have a feeling it's going to be quite close. Not sure why. I have nightmares of Vigen walking victoriously off the field flipping the double bird to all his Wyoming haters, including to one 'Landerpoke', the mofo that slandered him on Wyonatoipn for 6 years straight. :rofl:
[/quote]
Hey, my attorney told me it’s only slander if it isn’t true. So, it seems to me you are not guilty of slander.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

The MICKSTER wrote: Wed Sep 01, 2021 9:51 am Bobcat Fan & Alum here……

My wife and I will be at the game and are planning on camping near hot springs & fishing our way back to Bozeman for the CATS home opener on Sep 11th. We’re planning on stops in Saratoga, maybe Alcova, (N Platte), Thermopolis (Bighorn/Wind) and Jackson (Snake). Any advice/recommendations would be welcomed.

Happy trails Poke fans……
Sounds like a fun trip!
Rich K
Buckaroo

flyfishwyo
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 126 times
Been liked: 50 times

Happy trails Poke fans……
There are a couple of good walk-in areas near Saratoga. Six-Mile Gap or Treasure Island are both good. The water is low, but cool and fishing pretty well. Much better than the Helena area when I was up there in early August. Good luck!
The MICKSTER
Buckaroo

flyfishwyo wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:51 am

Happy trails Poke fans……
There are a couple of good walk-in areas near Saratoga. Six-Mile Gap or Treasure Island are both good. The water is low, but cool and fishing pretty well. Much better than the Helena area when I was up there in early August. Good luck!
Thanks for the info :)