Home Opener vs. Montana State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Rich K
Buckaroo

A couple of Sheridan Wyoming guys in Bozeman.

Coy Steel https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/ ... steel/5224

Steel has been a lot of fun to watch. Very exciting to watch returning punts.
(2019) Played in 14 games, starting eight... third on the team with 23 catches and 334 receiving yards, and second with four TD catches... posted one of the season's signature moments when he caught a pass between two NAU defenders, endured a crunching hit, squirted away for the final 20 yards of a 49-yard touchdown, then collapsed in the end one and missed the next game... three catches against Texas Tech, five each vs. Western Illinois and Norfolk State. (2018) Emerged as an important contributor when injuries thinned the slot receiver position... played in all 12 games... caught his first pass against Incarnate Word in the FCS Playoffs. (2017) Redshirted.
Garrett Coon https://msubobcats.com/sports/football/ ... -coon/5152

Word is that Garrett will probably redshirt and/or move to Linebacker. I love this quote from one of the "insiders" at bobcatnation: "- Garrett Coon looks like a 30 year old GA, not a true freshman."
(2020) Arrives at Montana State as a running back.

High School Wyoming Gatorade Player of the Year in 2019... three-time all-state, two-time Super 25 honoree in Wyoming, and played for two state championship Sheridan High squads... carried 196 times for 1,589 yards and 29 touchdowns as a senior... also caught 21 passes for 299 yards and six TDs... 81 tackles with three interceptions in 2019.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 147 times

Old-Bull wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:10 pm This game has some great story lines because of the Vigen era, and our attempt to get more balance on offense.

Does Wyoming just stick to the normal game plan and run, run, run the ball, knowing that is what MSU will expect. Will we try to assert our will and physically dominate? Will Tim Polasek try to prove that he can throw the ball when he has to? Does Wyoming keep the play book vanilla so we have some surprises later in the season?

I think the fan base is going to want to see more balance on offense and even if we beat MSU 35-7, our fans will be pissed if half of the offense doesn't come through the air. If Polasek has a qb finish with a 50 percent completion percentage this board will melt down.

I can't wait for the season to start, especially with this game to kick it off.
Can you imagine if someone throws for 225 and 2 TDs???
W-Y, Until I Die!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 21 times

Yeah, it'll be hilarious to hear all the people who apologized for Vigens ineptitude for years act like they knew he wasn't a good offensive coordinator all along.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 10:01 am Yeah, it'll be hilarious to hear all the people who apologized for Vigens ineptitude for years act like they knew he wasn't a good offensive coordinator all along.
The one thing I think about when it comes to Vigen...

He, as OC and QB coach, had an all-pro, likely NFL HOF, first round draft pick QB - and didn't utilize him or his skill set worth a poop. :thumbdown:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Don't forget all the other NFL talent on that offense the one year.

IMO nothing will change the fact that Vigen was a bad OC at Wyoming. We had a pretty solid data set to indicate that. That being said, there's a chance Polasek will suck too. That could mean it's all Bohls fault, or that we got another bad OC. I expect some hiccups coming out the gate, new coordinator and all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Polasek immediately improves our offensive production.

Then you have our QBs. I don't trust Chambers to stay healthy (not his fault, he's a trooper and I respect the hell out of him for coming back year after year), and I don't know if Williams is really a QB1 either. He looked great in that bowl game and then pretty bad after that. I chalk that up Vigen having had time to make him worse though.

I don't really care about a lot of things offensively as long as we produce and show an ability to adapt when needed. If we come out with the same Bohl headed run it down their throat mindset and have absolutely no ability to adapt when it doesn't work I'm gonna be pissed to say the least.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:28 pm I don't really care about a lot of things offensively as long as we produce and show an ability to adapt when needed. If we come out with the same Bohl headed run it down their throat mindset and have absolutely no ability to adapt when it doesn't work I'm gonna be pissed to say the least.
I'm with you. I also don't care about style of offense but creating a tempo or flow is important.

Vigen's offenses always played scared and it was worse if they threw an incompletion or only gained a few yards on first down. There was rarely if ever a rhythm. I'm hoping for that this year more than anything. The run first offense is fine. I expect it to run into a wall for a part of the game, but eventually it has to start breaking through and finding a rhythm.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 605 times
Been liked: 241 times

The closer this games gets the less confident I become. Why do I have this sinking feeling???
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

What are the Cats strengths/weaknesses? From the brief reading I did when Vigen was moving, was that they were a power run type of team. Our D front and Muma will eat that up. Can our O line dominate early and get the run game going? If that happens, it’s game over. I expect Polasek to utilize the Play Action game extensively. Teams won’t be able to cheat up and put 10 guys in the box.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm The closer this games gets the less confident I become. Why do I have this sinking feeling???
Like the 2021 season will be a repeat of 2020 where about 50% of games don't get played due to COVID and not enough vaccinations?

Love it when history repeats itself. :roll:

This is why I wish I could live for hundreds of years 'cos I'd love to see how historians hundreds of years from now will look at what's going on now. :popcorn:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Yep. Everyone, myself included, wants to act like this is over. If nothing changes from where we are now, I think 21 could actually be worse than 20.

Hunter S. Thompson
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

bullbugle307 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 8:03 am Yep. Everyone, myself included, wants to act like this is over. If nothing changes from where we are now, I think 21 could actually be worse than 20.
I'm acting like it's over. Not going to wear a mask anywhere and not changing my life anymore. That's the only way we get out of this.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

PokeNer wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm What are the Cats strengths/weaknesses? From the brief reading I did when Vigen was moving, was that they were a power run type of team. Our D front and Muma will eat that up. Can our O line dominate early and get the run game going? If that happens, it’s game over. I expect Polasek to utilize the Play Action game extensively. Teams won’t be able to cheat up and put 10 guys in the box.
I think they are a "power run team". Like we try to be, only they are pretty effective at it. If that's true I like the Our D vs Their O matchup. If there's one thing we do well it's stop the run. So at least there's that. I have, and will continue to have zero confidence in a Wyoming offense until I behold with my own eyes we don't suck.
Last edited by LanderPoke on Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Wyokie wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 8:10 pm
LanderPoke wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 7:58 pm The closer this games gets the less confident I become. Why do I have this sinking feeling???
Like the 2021 season will be a repeat of 2020 where about 50% of games don't get played due to COVID and not enough vaccinations?

This is why I wish I could live for hundreds of years 'cos I'd love to see how historians hundreds of years from now will look at what's going on now. :popcorn:
Ha ha. I was talking about the actual game. I have a feeling it's going to be quite close. Not sure why. I have nightmares of Vigen walking victoriously off the field flipping the double bird to all his Wyoming haters, including to one 'Landerpoke', the mofo that slandered him on Wyonatoipn for 6 years straight. :rofl:
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand

Bohl better hope to God that doesn't happen.

Hunter S. Thompson
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:09 am

Ha ha. I was talking about the actual game. I have a feeling it's going to be quite close. Not sure why. I have nightmares of Vigen walking victoriously off the field flipping the double bird to all his Wyoming haters, including to one 'Landerpoke', the mofo that slandered him on Wyonatoipn for 6 years straight. :rofl:
:rofl: The other of the double bird could be directed at me. I'm not sure I could recover that one. Bohl, if you let this happen, you are dead to me :lol:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:09 am

:rofl: The other of the double bird could be directed at me. I'm not sure I could recover that one. Bohl, if you let this happen, you are dead to me :lol:
If Bohl loses this one I'm done with him.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

LOL I honestly thought you meant the whole COVID 2.0 aka Delta variant crap. Sorry, my bad. :oops:
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

Rich K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 am
McPeachy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 am
Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:01 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f##k[#] loss in my lifetime maybe.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /400787116
What about the fart fest against Cal Poly? That loss was even worse!!!!!!
That Cal Poly loss was certainly bad...but the North Dakota loss was just pathetic. Been watching the Pokes for 50 years or so, and I just can't get over that one.
We were absolutely dominated in that one. A late TD made the score look somewhat respectable, but we got pushed around like we were playing Alabama
Yikes. Looks like the Pokes have a history of playing down to their opponents. The last time a Wyoming team dominated an FCS team was in 2013 and that was against an absolutely awful (even by FCS standards) Northern Colorado team. (1-10)

I don't think this game will be a game that the Pokes will not be ready for. Bohl will have them ready to play and Montana State will be as ready as a team that hasn't played in about 20 months can be. The crowd will be excited and there will be enough Bobcat fans in attendance to make it some pushback noise.

Maybe this will help liven up this message board ;) I'm going to go ahead and predict (through my Blue and Gold colored glasses) a Bobcat victory! 23-17 Bobcats in a slugfest.
If you're right, Wyoming's season will be over before it starts.
SDPokeFan
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 34 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:41 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:28 pm I don't really care about a lot of things offensively as long as we produce and show an ability to adapt when needed. If we come out with the same Bohl headed run it down their throat mindset and have absolutely no ability to adapt when it doesn't work I'm gonna be pissed to say the least.
I'm with you. I also don't care about style of offense but creating a tempo or flow is important.

Vigen's offenses always played scared and it was worse if they threw an incompletion or only gained a few yards on first down. There was rarely if ever a rhythm. I'm hoping for that this year more than anything. The run first offense is fine. I expect it to run into a wall for a part of the game, but eventually it has to start breaking through and finding a rhythm.
I will just be happy if we don't see quarterback sneaks on third and seven.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:41 pm

I will just be happy if we don't see quarterback sneaks on third and seven.
That is called the "VigenSpecial" - so that is likely gone from UW football. :rofl:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...