Home Opener vs. Montana State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

McPeachy wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:51 pm
SDPokeFan wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 4:45 pm
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:41 pm
bullbugle307 wrote: Thu Aug 12, 2021 3:28 pm I don't really care about a lot of things offensively as long as we produce and show an ability to adapt when needed. If we come out with the same Bohl headed run it down their throat mindset and have absolutely no ability to adapt when it doesn't work I'm gonna be pissed to say the least.
I'm with you. I also don't care about style of offense but creating a tempo or flow is important.

Vigen's offenses always played scared and it was worse if they threw an incompletion or only gained a few yards on first down. There was rarely if ever a rhythm. I'm hoping for that this year more than anything. The run first offense is fine. I expect it to run into a wall for a part of the game, but eventually it has to start breaking through and finding a rhythm.
I will just be happy if we don't see quarterback sneaks on third and seven.
That is called the "VigenSpecial" - so that is likely gone from UW football. :rofl:
BALL CONTROL!!! :rofl:
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Rich K
Buckaroo

stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

I'm ready!!!
celticcat
Buckaroo

Howdy, another MSU fan here.

The interesting part to me is how similar the complaints seem to be about the Wyo offense and the MSU under previous coach Jeff Choate. Throwing the ball was a struggle in Bozeman and a constant complaint amongst fans, but perhaps the biggest difference was that MSU didn't need to throw the ball that much. Why? Because the Cats rushed for 3,871 yards in 15 games (258 YPG) and scored 44 rushing TDs, for a whopping 5.7 YPC and were winning games. Jeff Choate would say "if I'm getting 7 yards per carry why would I throw the ball?". So Vigen inherited a team that is already extremely prolific running the ball. The biggest difference in my estimation is that MSU is likely done with the Wildcat/QB power game we've ran for a few years. Travis Jonsen rushed for 549 yards and 8 TDs (3rd on the team) out of the Wildcat last year. And make no mistake, no one was expecting him to throw the ball. Jonsen also caught 55 passes for 580 yards and a TD as a WR. I suspect those days are gone or will be cut back heavily which is one of the main reasons MSU's run game was so hard to defend. I'm interested to see how MSU goes about running the ball under Vigen and first year OC Taylor Housewright. We have a very good OL and a stable of running backs.

MSU's defense was absolutely lights out in the last half of the season last year, and into the playoffs until NDSU. The defense only allowed something like 5 TDs in a 7 game span or something ridiculous. Problem is the DC is gone and so is a ton of talent from that side of the ball. We should have good talent to replace them but they are unproven, and first year DC Freddie Banks is switching from a 3 man front to a 4 man front so there is a lot of wait and see on that side of the ball.

I will say as the weeks progress the more optimistic I am about the Cats. It's hard to replace such a dynamic character as Jeff Choate and initial reports had me a bit worries in terms of culture and philosophy, but the more I hear and read now I'm feeling much better about the coaching staff and culture, as well as the reports of some predicted playmakers coming out of camp. I think the Cats will likely be a playoff team this fall but I don't think any magic run starts in Laramie unfortunately.
Rich K
Buckaroo

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 599 times
Been liked: 238 times

celticcat wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 11:40 am Howdy, another MSU fan here.

The interesting part to me is how similar the complaints seem to be about the Wyo offense and the MSU under previous coach Jeff Choate. Throwing the ball was a struggle in Bozeman and a constant complaint amongst fans, but perhaps the biggest difference was that MSU didn't need to throw the ball that much. Why? Because the Cats rushed for 3,871 yards in 15 games (258 YPG) and scored 44 rushing TDs, for a whopping 5.7 YPC and were winning games. Jeff Choate would say "if I'm getting 7 yards per carry why would I throw the ball?". So Vigen inherited a team that is already extremely prolific running the ball. The biggest difference in my estimation is that MSU is likely done with the Wildcat/QB power game we've ran for a few years. Travis Jonsen rushed for 549 yards and 8 TDs (3rd on the team) out of the Wildcat last year. And make no mistake, no one was expecting him to throw the ball. Jonsen also caught 55 passes for 580 yards and a TD as a WR. I suspect those days are gone or will be cut back heavily which is one of the main reasons MSU's run game was so hard to defend. I'm interested to see how MSU goes about running the ball under Vigen and first year OC Taylor Housewright. We have a very good OL and a stable of running backs.

MSU's defense was absolutely lights out in the last half of the season last year, and into the playoffs until NDSU. The defense only allowed something like 5 TDs in a 7 game span or something ridiculous. Problem is the DC is gone and so is a ton of talent from that side of the ball. We should have good talent to replace them but they are unproven, and first year DC Freddie Banks is switching from a 3 man front to a 4 man front so there is a lot of wait and see on that side of the ball.

I will say as the weeks progress the more optimistic I am about the Cats. It's hard to replace such a dynamic character as Jeff Choate and initial reports had me a bit worries in terms of culture and philosophy, but the more I hear and read now I'm feeling much better about the coaching staff and culture, as well as the reports of some predicted playmakers coming out of camp. I think the Cats will likely be a playoff team this fall but I don't think any magic run starts in Laramie unfortunately.
Good info. Thanks.

Sounds like the cats offense was what Wyoming strives to be. Should be a good game and I can’t wait.

As an aside, it still blows my mind Vigen is a head coach. Talk about falling forward. I sincerely hope he works out well for the Bobcats
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:34 pm Good info. Thanks.

Sounds like the cats offense was what Wyoming strives to be. Should be a good game and I can’t wait.

As an aside, it still blows my mind Vigen is a head coach. Talk about falling forward. I sincerely hope he works out well for the Bobcats
‘Falling forward’ is debatable. Even with incentives, Vigen is virtually guaranteed to make less money this year at Montana State than he did each of the past 3 years at Wyoming. For instance, in 2019 he made $353,000 at Wyoming. He is likely to make around $320,000 or so at Montana State this year if things go decent and if he fulfills his media obligations.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 5c75e.html
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

OrediggerPoke wrote: Wed Aug 18, 2021 1:21 am
LanderPoke wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:34 pm Good info. Thanks.

‘Falling forward’ is debatable. Even with incentives, Vigen is virtually guaranteed to make less money this year at Montana State than he did each of the past 3 years at Wyoming. For instance, in 2019 he made $353,000 at Wyoming. He is likely to make around $320,000 or so at Montana State this year if things go decent and if he fulfills his media obligations.

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/s ... 5c75e.html
Guess I didn't realize he's getting paid less. That isn't falling forward, especially since Bozeman is more expensive than Laramie.

However, getting a head coaching gig at one of the best FCS schools isn't anything to sneeze at. It's like Polaseck. He is getting paid less, but gets to be the "man" and have more responsibility.
stymeman
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 44 times

Rated 13 or 12th in their poll, we can't overlook them no matter what, this will be a hard fought game, hopefully with The Pokes pulling away late
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

WyoPaPoke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:59 am I get homer-ism and supporting your team and players, but someone on the bobcat forum saying msu has better Rb’s (and mlb, rg, dt) than Wyoming is hilarious. I think mlb is debatable… but def not rb
I would disagree that MLB is debatable. Muma is one of the best in college football.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

It's year 8 for Bohl. If we struggle with FCS teams, I'm off the Bohl train.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

WyoPaPoke wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:59 am I get homer-ism and supporting your team and players, but someone on the bobcat forum saying msu has better Rb’s (and mlb, rg, dt) than Wyoming is hilarious. I think mlb is debatable… but def not rb
Hell no. I would put Muma up there with anyone in CFB. He is just like Logan Wilson. Carbon copy.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 9:33 am It's year 8 for Bohl. If we struggle with FCS teams, I'm off the Bohl train.
Ugh. Yes. I think it will be close though. Please, Pokes, prove me wrong.
PokeNer
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Bohl has always struggled early in the season (except mizzou), and against FCS teams. I’m bracing for more of the same, but hopefully the return of key players from opt outs, return from injuries, and Polasek are enough to finally beat a team handily early in the season like they should. I’m hoping for a 31-7 type of score, but expecting 24-20.
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

PokeNer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm Bohl has always struggled early in the season (except mizzou), and against FCS teams. I’m bracing for more of the same, but hopefully the return of key players from opt outs, return from injuries, and Polasek are enough to finally beat a team handily early in the season like they should. I’m hoping for a 31-7 type of score, but expecting 24-20.
I definitely get the hesitancy, but, I'm just being honest. If we are building a solid G5 program, then FCS games largely should be solid wins (always exceptions). If after 8 years, Bohl can't solidly beat teams that have fewer resources, lower paid staff, and over 20 fewer scholarships, then there is something drastically wrong. Years 1-4? Maybe an excuse can be generated. Year 8? Hell no; especially when it isn't a rebuild year.

I don't think we have to worry, though. I'm thinking 32-14 type of range with 7 of the 14 coming in the 4th against backups.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 am
PokeNer wrote: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:55 pm Bohl has always struggled early in the season (except mizzou), and against FCS teams. I’m bracing for more of the same, but hopefully the return of key players from opt outs, return from injuries, and Polasek are enough to finally beat a team handily early in the season like they should. I’m hoping for a 31-7 type of score, but expecting 24-20.
I definitely get the hesitancy, but, I'm just being honest. If we are building a solid G5 program, then FCS games largely should be solid wins (always exceptions). If after 8 years, Bohl can't solidly beat teams that have fewer resources, lower paid staff, and over 20 fewer scholarships, then there is something drastically wrong. Years 1-4? Maybe an excuse can be generated. Year 8? Hell no; especially when it isn't a rebuild year.

I don't think we have to worry, though. I'm thinking 32-14 type of range with 7 of the 14 coming in the 4th against backups.
Agree with all of your post. I hope you are right on the score...it sure would be fun for once in 8 years, to not be on the edge of my MF seat every 4th quarter. In years past, even being up by 3 scores, Vigen got so bland and conservative we would either lose, or come close to losing. And they stopped serving beer at the start of the 4th...
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster

McPeachy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am it sure would be fun for once in 8 years, to not be on the edge of my MF seat every 4th quarter. In years past, even being up by 3 scores, Vigen got so bland and conservative we would either lose, or come close to losing. And they stopped serving beer at the start of the 4th...
:rofl: No joke. For once, get up on a team, keep the gas on, and put backups in the 4th. It is too sobering for the game to be in doubt deep into the 4th.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Anyone aware of any online stream that will be available of the game for us out of state folks that can't make it in person?
307bball
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 62 times

McPeachy wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 8:16 am
ragtimejoe1 wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:47 am

Agree with all of your post. I hope you are right on the score...it sure would be fun for once in 8 years, to not be on the edge of my MF seat every 4th quarter. In years past, even being up by 3 scores, Vigen got so bland and conservative we would either lose, or come close to losing. And they stopped serving beer at the start of the 4th...
I'm hoping for a blowout...though I've seen plenty of games wherein we are dominant in the game but the final score does not indicate the level of domination. By the same token, a hotly contested game that gets away from one team in the end makes it look like it was more of a mismatch than it actually was. Would love to have the beatdown along with the huge score differential but I'll settle for the beatdown regardless of the score.

All that being said...my prediction is for a hard fought game that widens out in the end. The upper echelon of the FCS is no joke...they are disciplined and champing at the bit to prove themselves.
WYO1016
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 105 times

WyomingAgJ wrote: Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:54 am Anyone aware of any online stream that will be available of the game for us out of state folks that can't make it in person?
Stadium will be carrying the game