Home Opener vs. Montana State

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:43 am
bladerunnr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am Here in Colorado, it appears masks will be mandatory for all school kids. I would guess new lockdowns on large gatherings are imminent.

What is the mood like up in Wyo.? Will there be mask mandates or vaccine checks to enter the stadium? Will a full house be allowed? I'm planning on attending but I won't go if I have to wear a mask.
Gov Gordan just announced no mask mandate for Wyoming or fall school returns. We will see if that holds.

https://oilcity.news/community/health/2 ... n-schools/

P.S. Folks - if you don't have symptoms, are not sick, whether or not you have been "exposed" (whatever that really means anymore) stop getting f##k[#] tested. We don't need anymore sit-in-the-corner panic crybaby Sh#t.

:thumb:
Or just make everything easier for everyone and get vaccinated
Rich K
Buckaroo

Been getting great early reports from Bobcat fall camp. My early opinion is this year's team is as talented and deep as any Bobcat team in my memory. While I still think the Bobcats are underdogs in the matchup with the Pokes, I think it'll be a hell of a lot closer than most imagine.
By the way, is there any insider information on television broadcast? Will it be streamed on MWC.com? I'm getting antsy and really looking forward to this game!
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Rich K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am My early opinion is this year's team is as talented and deep as any Bobcat team in my memory. While I still think the Bobcats are underdogs in the matchup with the Pokes, I think it'll be a hell of a lot closer than most imagine.
This should be one of Bohl's best teams with the passing game still a wild card (I'm not convinced we have a QB that can throw the ball). Without a QB, I think it is plausible the score is much closer than anticipated.

If the offense takes a step forward, the POKES better win this game pretty handily otherwise it will not bode well for the rest of the season or Bohl. That isn't intended as a slight against Montana State and more an indication of Bohl's success in building a program. If he can't beat FCS teams handily at this juncture, there is a lot of room for concern.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Rich K
Buckaroo

ragtimejoe1 wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:00 pm
Rich K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am My early opinion is this year's team is as talented deep as any Bobcat team in my memory. While I still think the Bobcats are underdogs in the matchup with the Pokes, I think it'll be a hell of a lot closer than most imagine.
This should be one of Bohl's best teams with the passing game still a wild card (I'm not convinced we have a QB that can throw the ball). Without a QB, I think it is plausible the score is much closer than anticipated.

If the offense takes a step forward, the POKES better win this game pretty handily otherwise it will not bode well for the rest of the season or Bohl. That isn't intended as a slight against Montana State and more an indication of Bohl's success in building a program. If he can't beat FCS teams handily at this juncture, there is a lot of room for concern.
Montana State needs to take a step forward on offense, and like Wyoming, it appears to in part rest upon the improvement at quarterback. Right now the #1 QB is Matt McKay who came to MSU via the transfer portal from North Carolina State. He had several starts in 2019 and saw action in 2018. #2 and #3 has been alternating between Tucker Rovig and Casey Bauman. Rovig has over 2,500 career passing yards and plenty of starts, while Bauman began 2019 as the starter before being replaced by Rovig. Bauman has less than 500 career passing yards. Both Bauman and Rovig played good in 2018 and 2019, but not at the next level that most folks think is required to get to the "next level." For MSU the "next" level is the FCS championship game as the semi-finals is as far as the Bobcats have gotten. 2019 in the Semis got mowed over by NDSU.

Whether or not the defense will play up to the 2019 level is speculative at best. (I say 2019 as the Bobcats did not play at all in 2020, neither fall or spring of 2021). I'm not a guru just a fan so I'll leave the specifics of defense styles etc to others.

Personally I'd like to see MSU play the Cowboys in the same conference in the future.
WyomingAgJ
Cowpoke
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 16 times

Rich K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am Been getting great early reports from Bobcat fall camp. My early opinion is this year's team is as talented and deep as any Bobcat team in my memory. While I still think the Bobcats are underdogs in the matchup with the Pokes, I think it'll be a hell of a lot closer than most imagine.
By the way, is there any insider information on television broadcast? Will it be streamed on MWC.com? I'm getting antsy and really looking forward to this game!
I'm also wondering about any tv stream. I'm out of state and really hoping to see the game but haven't seen any info. Anyone know if there will be a video stream?
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:25 am
bladerunnr wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:18 am Here in Colorado, it appears masks will be mandatory for all school kids. I would guess new lockdowns on large gatherings are imminent.

What is the mood like up in Wyo.? Will there be mask mandates or vaccine checks to enter the stadium? Will a full house be allowed? I'm planning on attending but I won't go if I have to wear a mask.
Gov Gordan just announced no mask mandate for Wyoming or fall school returns. We will see if that holds.

P.S. Folks - if you don't have symptoms, are not sick, whether or not you have been "exposed" (whatever that really means anymore) stop getting f##k[#] tested. We don't need anymore sit-in-the-corner panic crybaby Sh#t.

AND STOP TESTING...if you have been vaccinated. Ok, I am good with that.
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Rich K wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:30 am Been getting great early reports from Bobcat fall camp. My early opinion is this year's team is as talented and deep as any Bobcat team in my memory. While I still think the Bobcats are underdogs in the matchup with the Pokes, I think it'll be a hell of a lot closer than most imagine.
One thing Montana St. has going for them (and a big one at that)...as a visiting opponent from the FCS, is the hope that Wyoming will overlook them. If that happens, look out UW fans, this will be a close game, or maybe even a loss for Wyoming.

North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f-word loss in my lifetime maybe.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/g ... /400787116
Dear Karma,

WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:09 pm
WestWYOPoke wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 12:25 am

AND STOP TESTING...if you have been vaccinated. Ok, I am good with that.
You'll get no complaint from me, I'm fine with that.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f-word loss in my lifetime maybe.

What about the fart fest against Cal Poly? That loss was even worse!!!!!!
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 597 times
Been liked: 238 times

Just announced that ACSD1 kids have the option to wear a mask or not. BIG BIG BIG victory for freedom of choice and BIG BIG win for children. BIG win for common sense. I publicly thank the superintendent And school board
bullbugle307
Ranch Hand
Been liked: 21 times

I'm sure they'll still poop a brick if they wear a hat though. We're a peculiar people when it's comes to freedoms.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.

Hunter S. Thompson
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:01 pm
McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f-word loss in my lifetime maybe.

That Cal Poly loss was certainly bad...but the North Dakota loss was just pathetic. Been watching the Pokes for 50 years or so, and I just can't get over that one.
Dear Karma,

LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

McPeachy wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 8:13 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f##k[#] loss in my lifetime maybe.

That Cal Poly loss was certainly bad...but the North Dakota loss was just pathetic. Been watching the Pokes for 50 years or so, and I just can't get over that one.
We were absolutely dominated in that one. A late TD made the score look somewhat respectable, but we got pushed around like we were playing Alabama
Rich K
Buckaroo

LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 am
McPeachy wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:15 pm North Dakota 2015 Anyone? Worse f##k[#] loss in my lifetime maybe.

We were absolutely dominated in that one. A late TD made the score look somewhat respectable, but we got pushed around like we were playing Alabama
Yikes. Looks like the Pokes have a history of playing down to their opponents. The last time a Wyoming team dominated an FCS team was in 2013 and that was against an absolutely awful (even by FCS standards) Northern Colorado team. (1-10)

I don't think this game will be a game that the Pokes will not be ready for. Bohl will have them ready to play and Montana State will be as ready as a team that hasn't played in about 20 months can be. The crowd will be excited and there will be enough Bobcat fans in attendance to make it some pushback noise.

Maybe this will help liven up this message board ;) I'm going to go ahead and predict (through my Blue and Gold colored glasses) a Bobcat victory! 23-17 Bobcats in a slugfest.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 36 times
Been liked: 45 times

In my mind, the only reason the loss to North Dakota was worse was UND didn't have a nickname at the time we played them. The Sioux nickname had to be retired at UND.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer

Rich K wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:49 am
LanderPoke wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:41 am

Yikes. Looks like the Pokes have a history of playing down to their opponents. The last time a Wyoming team dominated an FCS team was in 2013 and that was against an absolutely awful (even by FCS standards) Northern Colorado team. (1-10)

I don't think this game will be a game that the Pokes will not be ready for. Bohl will have them ready to play and Montana State will be as ready as a team that hasn't played in about 20 months can be. The crowd will be excited and there will be enough Bobcat fans in attendance to make it some pushback noise.

Maybe this will help liven up this message board ;) I'm going to go ahead and predict (through my Blue and Gold colored glasses) a Bobcat victory! 23-17 Bobcats in a slugfest.
You always have to chose your team to win every game. I do. I think the cowboys win a close one
ragtimejoe1
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 129 times

Vigen will prepare to face a Vigen offense and will be shocked to see screens, slants, rpo, etc. The effective passing game takes MSU out of their gameplan. WYO D does that WYO D has done.

WYO rolls 32-14.
WYO1016 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 8:10 am I'm starting to think that Burman has been laying the pipe to ragtimejoe1's wife
Insults are the last resort of fools with a crumbling position.
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

I can't see us overlooking MSU when Bohl is a Nebraska guy and is familiar with football in this area.

Besides, the game is at home, and Bohl has a pretty outstanding record of defending the home field. Vigen is familiar enough with our personnel that moving the ball on our defense is going to take an aggressive game plan and I don't know if Brent is capable of letting his o.c. do that. Run, run, pass punt is going to get him stomped in Laramie.

If I'm Tim Polasek, I'm game planning to throw the ball quite frequently on MSU since I know Vigen is going to expect us to run the ball as much as he did last year.

Now if we were up in Montana, I would be worried.
Last edited by Old-Bull on Wed Aug 11, 2021 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rich K
Buckaroo

Here's a couple of games from the 2019 season if anybody is interested.

At North Dakota State in the FCS semifinal Bison blows out the Cats 42-14 Second time in a row that the Bison end the Bobcat's season.

Cat-Griz in Bozeman. "The Beatdown in Bozeman"
Old-Bull
Cowpoke

This game has some great story lines because of the Vigen era, and our attempt to get more balance on offense.

Does Wyoming just stick to the normal game plan and run, run, run the ball, knowing that is what MSU will expect. Will we try to assert our will and physically dominate? Will Tim Polasek try to prove that he can throw the ball when he has to? Does Wyoming keep the play book vanilla so we have some surprises later in the season?

I think the fan base is going to want to see more balance on offense and even if we beat MSU 35-7, our fans will be pissed if half of the offense doesn't come through the air. If Polasek has a qb finish with a 50 percent completion percentage this board will melt down.

I can't wait for the season to start, especially with this game to kick it off.