***Hawai'i Warriors Thread***

Wyoming High School sports, pro sports, other college sports
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 35 times

Hopefully Hawaii can refrain from scheduling 1-AAs (bad ones at that).. I think their season would have had more luster, and Hawaii would have been more widely accepted, with scheduling some 1-As in there.. even if they were bad ones. However, getting teams to travel to the islands.. a nightmare. Hawaii has to have a pretty good payout for that to happen, something they're not willing to shell out to a pretty good team.. and they can get UNC and Chuck South on the cheap. Can't blame them for their schedule, but I think it definitely hurt them in terms of SOS and preparation for tougher teams (Boise, Fresno, and UW excluded). I hope the Warriors can repeat the performance next year, the more of these mid-majors that step up and slap some people around, the better. Graunke looks like he could be a real solid guy next year.
ImageImageImageImage
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

And what's the word with Jones to SMU... he considering it?
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 47 times

MrTitleist wrote:And what's the word with Jones to SMU... he considering it?
Not but their moron AD at Hawaii hasn't even started negotiating a new contract for him. So....

Herman Frazier (UH's AD) makes Lee Moon, Sr. look like a genius.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

He's not really considering it, he's using them, trying to force the AD to give him better facilities if he comes back
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:
He's not really considering it, he's using them, trying to force the AD to give him better facilities if he comes back
I just hope that tactic doesn't back fire. Frazier isn't the brighhtest of ADs if you haven't noticed.
I want CHAMPIONSHIPS not chicken poop! And we're getting chicken poop!!!!!!!!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

June Jones quit. So he is taking the SMU job.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/artic ... 91370.html

Safe bet the UH Administration and their idiot AD don't really care. It kinda reminds me of when Tiller left after the 1996 season to take over the Purdue HC job.

From what I've read and heard the facalities (sp?) at UH makes CSU in Fort Fart look REALLY REALLY good.
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Glanville back to Hawaii!! Take Mouse with ya! I don't want to see that spread offense in Missoula again. Damn near gave me a heart attack this year.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:Glanville back to Hawaii!! Take Mouse with ya! I don't want to see that spread offense in Missoula again. Damn near gave me a heart attack this year.
Not a chance! I seriously doubt anyone real;ly good will coach UH. If you though Lee Moon was bad at UW, you should see Herman Frazier. He's absolutely horrible as a Athletic Director.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

Possible replacement HC's for Hawaii:

Kevin Gilbride
Cal Lee (won 14 straight Hawaii HS St Champs),
Norm Chow,
Duane Akina
Dick Tomey (who's at SJSU and former HC at UH in the late 1970s).
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

Hawaii would be stupid to bring in a high school coach. Ask North Texas how that worked out. Norm Chow.. I doubt it. Pay would be worse than he currently gets, and Hawaii isn't a top flight program. Akina.. current OC? Gilbride.. Buddy Ryan kicked his ass on TV.
ImageImageImageImage
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

MrTitleist wrote:Hawaii would be stupid to bring in a high school coach. Ask North Texas how that worked out. Norm Chow.. I doubt it. Pay would be worse than he currently gets, and Hawaii isn't a top flight program. Akina.. current OC? Gilbride.. Buddy Ryan kicked his ass on TV.
Norm applied for the job when Jones got it in 1999. Norm IS from Hawaii so....
MrTitleist
WyoNation Overlord

By Dave Reardon
[email protected]
University of Hawaii football boosters have raised money in an effort to oust athletic director Herman Frazier.

Oahu businessman Kent Untermann, a former UH tight end and now a booster, said fans who donate large sums of money to the athletic program want Frazier out. One is willing to put up what Untermann said is the entire amount necessary.

"The money's already there. Someone just has to pull the trigger," Untermann said. "There's a gentleman, who I won't name, who has volunteered to pay the $120,000 buyout. He would make sure it happens."

Frazier had no comment.

The Star-Bulletin has learned at least several other boosters are willing to contribute money to remove Frazier from the post he has held since 2002.

But such a move would require termination of Frazier's contract by his supervisor, UH Manoa Chancellor Virginia Hinshaw, and approval by the school's Board of Regents. Frazier is under contract at $250,000 per year until 2010.

UH president David McClain said removing Frazier is "hardly anything I've contemplated," and would fall under the jurisdiction of Frazier's supervisor, Hinshaw, and the Board of Regents.

"Personnel issues are dealt with by the university, and not in this manner," Hinshaw said.

"The structure is that we have a small number of positions that involve oversight and approval (by the board)," McClain said.

Frazier has been roundly criticized by UH fans since early last year for the football team's schedule, his handling of the transition of basketball coaches, and a lack of improved facilities. More recently he came under fire for not accepting UH's full allotment of Sugar Bowl tickets.

The latest displeasure with Frazier stems from football coach June Jones' contract not being renewed yet. The contract expires at the end of June, and Jones is headed to Dallas today to interview to become the football coach at Southern Methodist.

Several sources say Jones is close to accepting SMU's $2 million-per-year offer. UH made a counteroffer of around $1.1 million per year late Thursday, and that amount was upped yesterday. But Jones and his agent, Leigh Steinberg, have said Jones is more interested in improved infrastructure and resources than his own pay.

Untermann said removing Frazier is part of an attempt to keep Jones at UH.

"I don't think with June it's ever a done deal until it's done," Untermann said. "He's an emotional guy. He came here on emotion. I think he's fed up and disappointed. We have to take swift action, which hasn't been demonstrated at all. June will never say we have to replace the athletic director."

Untermann said he believes Jones wants three things to remain at UH: a $25 million commitment to facility improvement, a promise of effective leadership and more loyalty from the fan base.

"Part of that ties into administration and scheduling and marketing," Untermann said. "I don't blame it on the fans. The leadership hasn't been there, and June has obviously done his part."

Untermann was asked if he thinks anything can be done to keep Jones at UH.

"It might be too late," he said.
ImageImageImageImage
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

With the landing of Lewis Walker UH now has 7 4-Star Athletes, and more are coming. Next years team is going to be scary. Bigger and faster then ever. Bess and Grice-Mullen leaving will not hurt our WR corp. Snipes and Lofton are going to come out of nowhere!!!!
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

How are ya doing on fixing your OL problems?
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

The problem was Ah-soon at Tackle. He will be replaced by 4-Star OL Ray Hisatake, 6-4 300 lbs. Ah Soon will have a tough time finding a starting position next year.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:The problem was Ah-soon at Tackle. He will be replaced by 4-Star OL Ray Hisatake, 6-4 300 lbs. Ah Soon will have a tough time finding a starting position next year.
It will be tough for him. Sad for him getting pushed around like he did against Georgia.

I just hope UW's OL doesn't get that year.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:The problem was Ah-soon at Tackle. He will be replaced by 4-Star OL Ray Hisatake, 6-4 300 lbs. Ah Soon will have a tough time finding a starting position next year.
It will be tough for him. Sad for him getting pushed around like he did against Georgia.

Unfortunately thats just football.

Its not like UH had O-Line problems, we just played a team with a talent level we couldn't stop. Our line had no problems with Boise State, Fresno state, Washington, any of the teams we played, but #4 ranked Georgia is a different story. Ah-Soon vs Future 1st Round Draft picks? Not good, unfortunately this made Colt look bad, who if he had more then 1 second to throw would have toasted Georgia. But thats all over with, time to get ready for Florida.
Wyokie
WyoNation Moderator

J-Rod wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

Its not like UH had O-Line problems, we just played a team with a talent level we couldn't stop. Our line had no problems with Boise State, Fresno state, Washington, any of the teams we played, but #4 ranked Georgia is a different story. Ah-Soon vs Future 1st Round Draft picks? Not good, unfortunately this made Colt look bad, who if he had more then 1 second to throw would have toasted Georgia. But thats all over with, time to get ready for Florida.
I agree but, Jesus, I seriously doubt John Elway or Joe Montana could done any better than Colt did.

But that's over with, now UH has to get ready for a super hungery Florida team who's probably a bit upset at former UH coach, June Jones, comments about Tebow. :roll:

BTW, I miss the days of Elway and Montana. Plus I really miss the old Denver Bronco logo from the Eighties.
J-Rod
Bronco-Buster

Wyokie wrote:
J-Rod wrote:
Wyokie wrote:

I agree but, Jesus, I seriously doubt John Elway or Joe Montana could done any better than Colt did.

But that's over with, now UH has to get ready for a super hungery Florida team who's probably a bit upset at former UH coach, June Jones, comments about Tebow. :roll:

BTW, I miss the days of Elway and Montana. Plus I really miss the old Denver Bronco logo from the Eighties.
Nah, June was the one who made that dumb comment, so if anything Florida would be angry with SMU. We will be more hungry then them, Tebow seems to think very highly of himself, along with the rest of the team, rightfully so to. We will want redemption from that sugar bowl game. I'm hoping we can stay within 20 points of them.