I visited the CSU board earlier today

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

The Clemson and Washington state examples are good ones. No Wyoming doesn't conpare to their national stature, the comparison is because for their level- in their conference- their place in their league is similar to wyomings. And it isn't stopping them at all.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

McPeachy wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:47 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 pm Most... not all but most of your top tier talent in college football is concentrated in urban areas. It’s a simple matter of math really let’s say one in 10,000 high school students has a chance at being division one talent in college football. That means there’s 2-3 kids a year at Wyoming who have the talent and skill to be d1.

In Houston Texas there would be hundreds. Those kids from Houston Texas come to Laramie and it’s completely different then they are used to, the terrain is different, the environment is different, the size of the town is drastically different. There is nothing driving that kid to pick Laramie except the football program but what makes Wyoming stand out enough to overlook the rest of the issues.

It’s fact and you have to be blind to believe otherwise. Wyoming isn’t a desirable place to live for most folks not from the mountain west region.

You can substitute any urban center for Houston and it still rings true. Laramie is a hard place to recruit and retain top level college football players.
f-word me.

Washington, Idaho, Montana, ND, SD, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois, Michigan, Ohio, etc., etc., etc. Those kids freeze their asses off in the winter, don't give me the BS that they are (ALWAYS GOING TO BE) more desirable places to live than the mountain west region (Colorado, Utah, Wyoming). Maybe it is just me defending the pride of Wyoming, but give me a break. Coldest November I can remember was in Chicago.
I think the points that fanchaz were making were less about weather and more about the difference between a city and a small town like Laramie.

I'm sure all of us can agree there are plenty of talented players in cold climates.
laxwyo
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 137 times
Been liked: 146 times

LanderPoke wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:05 pm
pokefanchaz7 wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:43 pm Most... not all but most of your top tier talent in college football is concentrated in urban areas. It’s a simple matter of math really let’s say one in 10,000 high school students has a chance at being division one talent in college football. That means there’s 2-3 kids a year at Wyoming who have the talent and skill to be d1.

In Houston Texas there would be hundreds. Those kids from Houston Texas come to Laramie and it’s completely different then they are used to, the terrain is different, the environment is different, the size of the town is drastically different. There is nothing driving that kid to pick Laramie except the football program but what makes Wyoming stand out enough to overlook the rest of the issues.

It’s fact and you have to be blind to believe otherwise. Wyoming isn’t a desirable place to live for most folks not from the mountain west region.

You can substitute any urban center for Houston and it still rings true. Laramie is a hard place to recruit and retain top level college football players.
location is actually very far down on the list of reason a recruit chooses a specific college. And maybe we do need to recruit a certain type of kid to here, which, we've been doing. And imo, it's been working out fine. I really do think we presently have the players to contend for a conference championship year in and year out, we just lack the offensive coaching. My subjective eye test tells me we are every bit as big and fast as any other team I've seen. Including Missouri.
I’d agree with you except with WRs. From even teams in our own conference, I’d say that we are a little behind. Washington st, Missouri, Boise and other schools have fast WRs that attack the ball and make catches that ours would never. Granted they have not really had a chance since TVW has been struggling to get it somewhere they could. Their WRs make plays.
W-Y, Until I Die!
Bull-Hurley
Buckaroo

location is actually very far down on the list of reason a recruit chooses a specific college. And maybe we do need to recruit a certain type of kid to here, which, we've been doing. And imo, it's been working out fine. I really do think we presently have the players to contend for a conference championship year in and year out, we just lack the offensive coaching. My subjective eye test tells me we are every bit as big and fast as any other team I've seen. Including Missouri.
Why do most most programs stress the 500 mile blanket while recruiting? Your a 18 year old kid going to college for the first time and location doesn't play a major factor? poop. Parents, family and friends all try and pull kids closer to home.

The key to recruiting to a place like Laramie is finding players who fit the system and are in low demand. Like it or not Wyoming isn't going to win very many recruit battles against power conference programs.

Here's an example. You have 3* running back from North Platte. Mom is a Nebraska fan and Dad works for the railroad and is a Wyoming fan. Kid is a fan of both. Where does he go? What's your pitch? Your not pitching that poop that Vigen puts on the field. Scott Frost wins this all day, every day.
Maybe Wyoming would have won this battle if the kid was a defensive player but unlikely.

Your have to have a certain love for Laramie is some way. Most kids don't give a poop about the outdoors. Most kids don't give a poop Laramie is a nice town. Most kids are going to do what they think is best for them.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

Bull-Hurley wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:07 am

Why do most most programs stress the 500 mile blanket while recruiting? Your a 18 year old kid going to college for the first time and location doesn't play a major factor? poop. Parents, family and friends all try and pull kids closer to home.

The key to recruiting to a place like Laramie is finding players who fit the system and are in low demand. Like it or not Wyoming isn't going to win very many recruit battles against power conference programs.

Here's an example. You have 3* running back from North Platte. Mom is a Nebraska fan and Dad works for the railroad and is a Wyoming fan. Kid is a fan of both. Where does he go? What's your pitch? Your not pitching that poop that Vigen puts on the field. Scott Frost wins this all day, every day.
Maybe Wyoming would have won this battle if the kid was a defensive player but unlikely.

Your have to have a certain love for Laramie is some way. Most kids don't give a poop about the outdoors. Most kids don't give a poop Laramie is a nice town. Most kids are going to do what they think is best for them.
No poop we're not going ot win many battles with the P5. Name one G5 that will
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

LanderPoke wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:39 amNo poop we're not going ot win many battles with the P5. Name one G5 that will
We did steal Chambers from Rutgers. :D

And yes, that's the exception, not the rule.
ItSucksToBeACSURam
WyoNation Addict

This is stupidest example I have ever seen... No poop we're not going to beat Nebraska for a kid from Nebraska... That has nothing to do with Bohl vs. Frost, Laramie vs. Lincoln. Nebraska football is bred into those kids and the ONLY way they pick an out of state school is if UN doesn't offer.
McPeachy
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 306 times
Been liked: 120 times

ItSucksToBeACSURam wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:27 am

This is stupidest example I have ever seen... No poop we're not going to beat Nebraska for a kid from Nebraska... That has nothing to do with Bohl vs. Frost, Laramie vs. Lincoln. Nebraska football is bred into those kids and the ONLY way they pick an out of state school is if UN doesn't offer.
There is also the "playing time" factor. If you are a lowly 3* kid, and select Knebraska, you may be riding the pine for 3 or so years before sniffing the field. Whereas, at UW, you may start as a true Freshman.

:cool:
Dear Karma,

I have a list of people you missed...
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

I like a lot of what you said. I don't think anyone is frustrated w your example of losing a recruit to Nebraska/big 10.

The frustrating examples we have to be realistic about are all things that almost never have changed.

Ethan Zemla. Valor Christian MLB. Offers from all the Ivy League, from Wyoming and from CSU, and power 5 offer from Vanderbilt. Interest but no offer yet from the pac12-big 10.

Let's say none of the power 5 teams offer. Now it's down to csu or Wyoming. Wyoming has an all time great for 1 more season at MLB, another senior to be, and then nothing after that. In theory the perfect setup for a MLB to come into. But wyomings chance at a Colorado kid that csu wants? Does wyo pull maybe 5 out of 100 of those? 1 out of a 100?

Wyoming as always has to find the right kids for the program like most places. Wyoming has to find the MLB somewhere in a small town around Colorado or Wyoming somewhere that will end up as good as Zemla. They don't get the guys everyone thinks will work out
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 601 times
Been liked: 240 times

Coeur d' Alene wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 2:53 pm

I like a lot of what you said. I don't think anyone is frustrated w your example of losing a recruit to Nebraska/big 10.

The frustrating examples we have to be realistic about are all things that almost never have changed.

Ethan Zemla. Valor Christian MLB. Offers from all the Ivy League, from Wyoming and from CSU, and power 5 offer from Vanderbilt. Interest but no offer yet from the pac12-big 10.

Let's say none of the power 5 teams offer. Now it's down to csu or Wyoming. Wyoming has an all time great for 1 more season at MLB, another senior to be, and then nothing after that. In theory the perfect setup for a MLB to come into. But wyomings chance at a Colorado kid that csu wants? Does wyo pull maybe 5 out of 100 of those? 1 out of a 100?

Wyoming as always has to find the right kids for the program like most places. Wyoming has to find the MLB somewhere in a small town around Colorado or Wyoming somewhere that will end up as good as Zemla. They don't get the guys everyone thinks will work out
vs just CSU? I'd say a 30% chance or better. This particular year? 50% chance
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:20 pm
CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:33 pm
BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:02 am
Cornpoke wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:05 pm
I'd much rather our fans be just that arrogant rather than listening to the whining about how we can never recruit to Laramie
I don't know if it's whining so much as it is recognizing a challenge.
Yes, it is a struggle recruiting to Laramie. Does that mean we quit trying? Hell no.
Why is it a challenge to recruit to Laramie? Have any of you ever been to Clemson, SC? Laramie would make Clemson look like NYC. Same thing about Starkville, MS, there should be no reason for not wanting to play football in Laramie.
There might be one or two things Clemson has to offer where UW doesn't quite match up.
Well, one of them is not city life I can tell you that.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Bull-Hurley wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:52 am
I'd much rather our fans be just that arrogant rather than listening to the whining about how we can never recruit to Laramie
Yes, it is a struggle recruiting to Laramie. Does that mean we quit trying? Hell no.
Why is it a challenge to recruit to Laramie? Have any of you ever been to Clemson, SC? Laramie would make Clemson look like NYC. Same thing about Starkville, MS, there should be no reason for not wanting to play football in Laramie.
Wyoming has 9 players in the NFL. Clemson has 33. Clemson is a threat to win a national title almost every year. Wyoming can barely get to a conference title game. Clemson plays in a major conference and Wyoming plays in a middle tier conference at best. Clemson is surrounded by talented players and Laramie is surrounded by wild life. That's why it's hard to recruit to Laramie.
Well, if you want to call the a she she a major conference then maybe so. But, Clemson and the whole state of SC is a poop. Yes, Clemson has been doing well of late but that hasn't always been the case. A lot of people think Clemson is buying a lot of players and that was the case in the early 80s because they were placed on probation.
CheyenneGunslinger
Ranch Hand

Sir, in all due respect, I have only been to Wyoming twice but I think it would be a WONDERFUL place to live and raise a family. I'd be there in a heart beat if I could talk my wife into it.
WestWYOPoke
WyoNation Addict
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 8 times

CheyenneGunslinger wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:20 pm
There might be one or two things Clemson has to offer where UW doesn't quite match up.
Clemson itself? No, you are correct.

However, Clemson is only 30 miles from Greenville, SC and right in the middle of a metro area of over 800,000 people...all within a closer drive than Cheyenne is to Laramie.
BackHarlowRoad
A Real Cowboy
Been liked: 4 times

WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 am

However, Clemson is only 30 miles from Greenville, SC and right in the middle of a metro area of over 800,000 people...all within a closer drive than Cheyenne is to Laramie.
Mic drop.

800k witihin 45 miles? Sounds pretty urban to me.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 9 times

BackHarlowRoad wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:55 am
WestWYOPoke wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 7:50 am

Mic drop.

800k witihin 45 miles? Sounds pretty urban to me.
Why anyone would want to live in an urban area without being forced to is beyond me.
I literally hate living in Denver.
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 am Why anyone would want to live in an urban area without being forced to is beyond me.
You would want to if you need specialized medical care or are old. For medical care places like Telluride just don't have what you would need. You might consider that "forced to".
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Been liked: 23 times

'PokeForLife wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:05 am Why anyone would want to live in an urban area without being forced to is beyond me.
Urgh. I really enjoy Longmont overall, but it's getting crowded even here. Denver gives me anxiety. I completely understand why the job offers I'm receiving down there pay so well. And I will keep turning them down. At least until there's a fast and reliable way to get in and out without driving.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

Adv8RU12 wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:30 am
You would want to if you need specialized medical care or are old. For medical care places like Telluride just don't have what you would need. You might consider that "forced to".
My brother and I had to go to Denver every three months growing up as Type I diabetics. Still not enough for us. I suppose if it were where we needed appointments once a week, but usually those are conditions that aren't typically considered "chronic" so people can stay at the Ronald McDonald house or a motel for a while.

Different people have different thresholds for considering what is forcing them to live in a city, but still my point is that I don't understand volunteeringly living in a city.
'PokeForLife
Cowpoke

Asmodeanreborn wrote: Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:38 am
Urgh. I really enjoy Longmont overall, but it's getting crowded even here. Denver gives me anxiety. I completely understand why the job offers I'm receiving down there pay so well. And I will keep turning them down. At least until there's a fast and reliable way to get in and out without driving.
Yeah pay is something. I know that once I'm done with my training I would have to be making literally hundreds of thousands of dollars more to live in a city than to go back to Wyoming though.