Start Nick Smith vs SJSU

Everything Wyoming Cowboy and Mountain West football!
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Offensive statement? I get it but let's consider for a second that we are trying to meet all our goals.....

- Nick Smith lost to them last year.....he could be motivated to avenge that loss and go out with a bang....

- Let him run the offense that Chambers did yesterday just like he did a few years ago against USU.....he was effective as a run first QB.......

- We could win this game with average offense and our defense is playing lights out.....

- SJSU is the worst team in the league and are winless

-If we want to possibly save Chambers redshirt....this game is our best chance. It's at home to boot.

- Finally....let's say that we want to win out....get to a bowl.....save the redshirt......a have Chambers play the bowl game.....let Nick Smith run the same offense as Chambers.....coach up Chambers to beat AF with the bye week....let Smith run the offense vs SJSU and NM.....and all goals are met......just a thought.....
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 63 times
Been liked: 231 times

No. That is a terrible idea. Nick Smith is a great student. He is not a college quarterback that should be seeing any action at the D1 level. SJSU has beat us the last 3 meetings or so. SJSU almost and should have beat SDSU last week.
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 pm Offensive statement? I get it but let's consider for a second that we are trying to meet all our goals.....

- Nick Smith lost to them last year.....he could be motivated to avenge that loss and go out with a bang....

- Let him run the offense that Chambers did yesterday just like he did a few years ago against USU.....he was effective as a run first QB.......

- We could win this game with average offense and our defense is playing lights out.....

-If we want to possibly save Chambers redshirt....this game is our best chance. It's at home to boot.

- Finally....let's say that we want to win out....get to a bowl.....save the redshirt......a have Chambers play the bowl game.....let Nick Smith run the same offense as Chambers.....coach up Chambers to beat AF with the bye week....let Smith run the offense vs SJSU and NM.....and all goals are met......just a thought.....
I don't think we could beat SJSU and New Mexico on the road with Nick Smith
Asmodeanreborn
Bronco-Buster
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 23 times

Yeah, Smith won't move the ball any better than TVW. Use the redshirt and go for the win(s). IF we lose one of the next couple, then sure, let somebody else play in the last game, but as long as we are winning, keep the good things going.
phxpoke
A Real Cowboy
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 16 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:07 pm Offensive statement? I get it but let's consider for a second that we are trying to meet all our goals.....

Um...no.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Go back and look at the highlights and box score vs Utah State in 2015. Nick Smith 10-18 passing.....83 yards rushing.....2 TD passing and 1 rushing TD. He was younger then about the same experience as Chambers with comparable numbers to what Chambers did last night. Back in 2015....the Cowboys ran a very similar offense vs USU that night and it was pretty effective because it was a similar offense to what Nick ran in HS. It's pretty much the same with Chambers. Nick struggled with the offense last year because Bohl runs a pro offense that relies on a QB to be a pocket passer. That's why Allen struggled a lot....that's why TVW struggled.....and if you stick Chambers in the same dry offense he will too.

If Chambers went 10-18 for 3 TD and 83 yards....we'd be happy, especially considering our defense. If we decide to not play Chambers vs SJSU and go with our regular offense and TVW.....we better hope our defense is playing well and that our running game is on......otherwise.....we are doomed.....even against SJSU......our regular offense is brutal.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Nooooooooooo

I like the idea of starting tvw and seeing if he can win it though
Adv8RU12
WyoNation Addict
Been liked: 5 times

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:25 pm If we decide to not play Chambers vs SJSU and go with our regular offense and TVW.....we better hope our defense
The defense is going to play well. But why is it TVW or Chambers? If TVW starts and is not moving it, Chambers goes in. Seems simple.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Like I said in the original post.....if we are looking to meet several goals....one not burning the redshirt....if we are going to burn the redshirt.....there's no reason to have a discussion about QB....just play Chambers and move on. In my opinion.....Nick Smith has demonstrated that he can run the offense that Chambers ran last night for pretty decent numbers....TVW has demonstrated that nothing other than low numbers against an FCS school and Hawaii not the mention the other nightmares. If we are going to take a chance to avoid burning the redshirt...why not give it to a QB that can run what is now working? Just an outside look at the QB position. Heck....he can't do any worse than TVW.....especially if he's run first.....

I'm not saying TVW can't get a win vs SJSU but he's basically the same passer and way less of a runner than Nick......
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:25 pm Go back and look at the highlights and box score vs Utah State in 2015. Nick Smith 10-18 passing.....83 yards rushing.....2 TD passing and 1 rushing TD. He was younger then about the same experience as Chambers with comparable numbers to what Chambers did last night. Back in 2015....the Cowboys ran a very similar offense vs USU that night and it was pretty effective because it was a similar offense to what Nick ran in HS. It's pretty much the same with Chambers. Nick struggled with the offense last year because Bohl runs a pro offense that relies on a QB to be a pocket passer. That's why Allen struggled a lot....that's why TVW struggled.....and if you stick Chambers in the same dry offense he will too.

If Chambers went 10-18 for 3 TD and 83 yards....we'd be happy, especially considering our defense. If we decide to not play Chambers vs SJSU and go with our regular offense and TVW.....we better hope our defense is playing well and that our running game is on......otherwise.....we are doomed.....even against SJSU......our regular offense is brutal.
Go watch film on all of Smith’s passes this year. Go watch film of Smith against SJSU last year. Go watch film of Smith against Eastern Michigan. Hell go watch film of Nick Smith during this last spring game. Nice kid and a competitor and he will probably be successful in life. However, not remotely close to being a QB in a Division 1 football game.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

Like I said.....that was in Bohls offense.......the same offense that Josh Allen and Nick Smith struggled in last year.....there's a reason Chambers isn't running that offense. Go watch TVW pass against teams all year in this putrid offense.....

So once again.....read the point I am making......I'm not trying to sell Smith as a passer.....I'm selling him as a guy who has demonstrated that he run the same offense that Chambers ran last night. If I said let him run the regular offense......you may as well let TVW do it because they are pretty much the same passer lol....

I hope if they do play TVW......he does ok....but he has struggled for so many games and he looks broken.....

Our offense is defended by stopping our running back and daring us to pass......Chambers adds that second dimension......TVW doesn't......Nick could at least run......that's all I am saying.....
Pokes fan 24-7
Ranch Hand
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 2 times

I get what your saying about Smith running the read option, but I don't think it will work. I think you play Chambers the next two games and if they are wins you sit down and have a serious discussion with him about burning the red shirt.
Coeur d' Alene
Cowpoke

Pokes fan 24-7 wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:02 pm I get what your saying about Smith running the read option, but I don't think it will work. I think you play Chambers the next two games and if they are wins you sit down and have a serious discussion with him about burning the red shirt.
Is running tvw out there for at minimum 2 series and see how the game starts out of the question in your mind?

If you could win this game without chambers this discussion is over. Is it safe to see how it goes w tvw
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

For sure.....but if you aren't going to burn the redshirt and you want to play him in a bowl.....hypothetical.....I know......then I just don't see going back to the regular offense.....I mean.....Nick threw for 230 yards last year vs Fresno......comparable to Josh Allen numbers last year.....171 vs San Jose.....not great but the coaches played vanilla if you remember.....Chambers threw 10 passes last night....10.....not 20 or 30......We would not need Nick to throw much more than 10 times probably.....the dude has had some bad games....no doubt but like my main point says.....If we want to win out....not burn the redshirt.....and play Chambers in the bowl game.....give the wheel to Nick and let him run the offense the way we have done the last game and a half......let Chambers play vs AF. Running the same offense gets our linemen in a mode and not confusing them with the changes.

If we are going to burn the redshirt......none of this matters. If we want to try to do everything.....Nick makes way more sense if he runs the Chambers offense.
LanderPoke
WyoNation Lifer
Has liked: 603 times
Been liked: 240 times

Just play Chambers this season until we lose. I can't believe this is even a question
OrediggerPoke
Bronco-Buster

Brown and Gold wrote: Sat Oct 27, 2018 5:22 pm For sure.....but if you aren't going to burn the redshirt and you want to play him in a bowl.....hypothetical.....I know......then I just don't see going back to the regular offense.....I mean.....Nick threw for 230 yards last year vs Fresno......comparable to Josh Allen numbers last year.....171 vs San Jose.....not great but the coaches played vanilla if you remember.....Chambers threw 10 passes last night....10.....not 20 or 30......We would not need Nick to throw much more than 10 times probably.....the dude has had some bad games....no doubt but like my main point says.....If we want to win out....not burn the redshirt.....and play Chambers in the bowl game.....give the wheel to Nick and let him run the offense the way we have done the last game and a half......let Chambers play vs AF. Running the same offense gets our linemen in a mode and not confusing them with the changes.

If we are going to burn the redshirt......none of this matters. If we want to try to do everything.....Nick makes way more sense if he runs the Chambers offense.
Frankly you have to play Chambers until we lose. But Conway makes much more sense running this offense than Nick Smith. Watch Conway’s high school tape and you will agree. Don’t take this for me wanting to start Conway at this point because it has to be Chambers.
wyohistoryguy
Buckaroo

My take - If we keep winning, burn the redshirt, looking four years down the road is too much in today's sports. Plus, not redshirting will keep poachers from power-5 conferences away from a player that could become a grad transfer as a fifth-year senior. Chambers looked terrific yesterday - Win now, and we can sit back and enjoy it.
Poke-proud
Cowpoke

Let’s not.
Brown and Gold
Ranch Hand

It is a question because is trying to salvage this season worth burning the redshirt. Some don't think it is. If you were going to save the redshirt....Smith would be your best bet. The Conway option as well.....I like Smith and Conway over TVW to be honest.
WyomingAg
A Real Cowboy

Sjsu beat us last year, almost be sdsu last week, and is currently leading unlv. We aren't good enough to throw backups in and expect a walk in the park win. Play Chambers to play for the win